Let's Talk PC

JLCitadel

How about laptop with a pci-e port and the power brick also has dual 6+2 pin leads. Like the PCI would be next to the keyboard with the GPU sticking up next to the keyboard (only for use while plugged in)

Like having a GPU stuck to your laptop when you want to game? That'd be a pretty good upgrade and means you don't need to build a whole new desktop or buy a new laptop. I like the idea of having super small components in a laptop and then you can just have this one massive power cell for like 50+ hours, and with the rate of lightweight battery implementation it wouldn't be as if your carrying a brick around all the time. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

but doesn't that mean that your power bill will be higher..? I thought higher efficiency lowered it..

A higher efficiency PSU will be cheaper to run than a lower efficiency PSU. Look at it like this, if I have two 600w PSU's, one 80+platinum at 95% efficiency and one 80+ bronze at 80% efficient. If you put the same 600w load on both PSU's the 80+ Platinum would draw ~632w from your outlet while the 80+ bronze PSU would draw 750w from your wall. So you see, a higher rated PSU will lower the amount of power that your PC draws from the wall, but it will not have any effect on the amount of power your PC is requiring to run.

The math works like this, Load (amount of power your PC needs to operate) / Efficiency (in decimal) = power draw. So our 600w load / .95 (or 95%) efficiency = about 632w draw from the wall.

What is interesting is that the difference in power consumption between the two hypothetical PSU's I listed above, will almost 100% be ejected as heat. Therefor a 80+ bronze PSU in this case will cast off 150w of pure heat into your case, while the 80+ Platinum PSU will only give off 32w of heat. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

A higher efficiency PSU will be cheaper to run than a lower efficiency PSU. Look at it like this, if I have two 600w PSU's, one 80+platinum at 95% efficiency and one 80+ bronze at 80% efficient. If you put the same 600w load on both PSU's the 80+ Platinum would draw ~632w from your outlet while the 80+ bronze PSU would draw 750w from your wall. So you see, a higher rated PSU will lower the amount of power that your PC draws from the wall, but it will not have any effect on the amount of power your PC is requiring to run.

The math works like this, Load (amount of power your PC needs to operate) / Efficiency (in decimal) = power draw. So our 600w load / .95 (or 95%) efficiency = about 632w draw from the wall.

What is interesting is that the difference in power consumption between the two hypothetical PSU's I listed above, will almost 100% be ejected as heat. Therefor a 80+ bronze PSU in this case will cast off 150w of pure heat into your case, while the 80+ Platinum PSU will only give off 32w of heat. 

Oh well yes i knew that, i thought you were saying the opposite, that's why I was super confused haha. I thought you were saying that higher efficiency drew more from the wall.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like having a GPU stuck to your laptop when you want to game? That'd be a pretty good upgrade and means you don't need to build a whole new desktop or buy a new laptop. I

Yeah think ultra book by day at school, gaming laptop by night.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Oh well yes i knew that, i thought you were saying the opposite, that's why I was super confused haha. I thought you were saying that higher efficiency drew more from the wall.

LOL, Im an Engineer, we usually suck at communication :D

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I would love to see a few things implemented in PCs. Feel free to quote individual ideas here.

1. Control monitor settings (Brightness mainly) from the computer (Apple inspired)
2. Support for combo headphone/mic port on desktops when I cba with my bulky heavy headset
3. Windows that natively comes with a USB stick and ditch the f**king DVD already

4. Wake-on-LAN over Wifi
5. GPIO on motherboards for tweakers

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

LOL, Im an Engineer, we usually suck at communication :D

I would love to see a few things implemented in PCs. Feel free to quote individual ideas here.

1. Control monitor settings (Brightness mainly) from the computer (Apple inspired)

2. Support for combo headphone/mic port on desktops when I cba with my bulky heavy headset

3. Windows that natively comes with a USB stick and ditch the f**king DVD already

4. Wake-on-LAN over Wifi

5. GPIO on motherboards for tweakers

1. Exists

2. Exists

3. Torrents

4. ?

5. ..?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Exists

2. Exists

3. Torrents

4. ?

5. ..?

1. Where

2. I don't see any desktop cases with it, only laptops

3. That's not the point- windows should come on a flash drive by default not a CD. Torrents are a pain in the backside

4. Google it

5. Google it

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

1. Where

2. I don't see any desktop cases with it, only laptops

3. That's not the point- windows should come on a flash drive by default not a CD. Torrents are a pain in the backside

4. Google it

5. Google it

1. google it

2. google it.

3. free = easier.

More like gaming laptop all the time :P

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

but does this mean we deserve lower prices? or does having a smaller psu warrant stagnant prices (100$+ for a decent one)

$100 is what I consider average, not decent. (As decent has a positive ring to it)

The "bare minimum" range is from $45 (when good makes are on sale) to $60. Then there is the "budget" range from $60 to $150. With a very limited number of average to decent PSUs thrown in there from a very narrow range of brands like Fractal Design, Be Quiet!, Silverstone, Cooler Master etc.

Then there is good ($150-$180) - great ($180 - $200) and everything above that is usually god/uber mode, like Enermax, Antec, Cougar, LEPA etc.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

$100 is what I consider average, not decent. (As decent has a positive ring to it)

The "bare minimum" range is from $45 (when good makes are on sale) to $60. Then there is the "budget" range from $60 to $150. With a very limited number of average to decent PSUs thrown in there from a very narrow range of brands like Fractal Design, Be Quiet!, Silverstone, Cooler Master etc.

Then there is good ($150-$180) - great ($180 - $200) and everything above that is usually god/uber mode, like Enermax, Antec, Cougar, LEPA etc.

I'd probably have a different view on that but it's semantics I suppose. A great product is one that satisfies the needs of the buyer at the end of the day :)

1. google it

2. google it.

3. free = easier.

1. I don't see how windows can control my monitor backlight intensity. I swear you're trolling by even thinking it exists on PC's already.

2. Without silly adapters, it doesn't exist. You name me a fairly recent case that has front panel support for a headphone/mic combo 4-ring jack. Bet you can't.

3. How is it "easier"? The point of having windows ship by default with a USB stick would make it install instantly without waiting for a torrent to download, without waiting for a flash drive to format, without waiting for it to copy over, without messing around with stupid UEFI settings and configurations of the bootloader and crap. Windows coming with a CD is stupid. If I wanted to "just use a torrent" I would buy the windows licence on it's own directly from microsoft.

Spoiler

1. I don't see how windows can control my monitor backlight intensity. I swear you're trolling by even thinking it exists on PC's already.

2. Without silly adapters, it doesn't exist. You name me a fairly recent case that has front panel support for a headphone/mic combo 4-ring jack. Bet you can't.

3. How is it "easier"? The point of having windows ship by default with a USB stick would make it install instantly without waiting for a torrent to download, without waiting for a flash drive to format, without waiting for it to copy over, without messing around with stupid UEFI settings and configurations of the bootloader and crap. Windows coming with a CD is stupid. If I wanted to "just use a torrent" I would buy the windows licence on it's own directly from microsoft.

1. Really? There's tons of software out there for it.. + like you said your monitor can do it already, why would you need more then that.

2. There's not a lot, but there are some, and you can always get a female splitter

3. You need to work to pay for things, let's say you earn 10$ an hour, that's 16 hours worth of work for an OS + Optical Drive. No thanks, I'll take it for free rather then piss money away. (160 is assuming OS is 100 - 110 with taxes and od is around 20$ish and taxes are taken from 160, still probably extra but you get the point)

1. Really? There's tons of software out there for it.. + like you said your monitor can do it already, why would you need more then that.

2. There's not a lot, but there are some, and you can always get a female splitter

3. You need to work to pay for things, let's say you earn 10$ an hour, that's 16 hours worth of work for an OS + Optical Drive. No thanks, I'll take it for free rather then piss money away. (160 is assuming OS is 100 - 110 with taxes and od is around 20$ish and taxes are taken from 160, still probably extra but you get the point)

1. It's more user friendly, simple. How can anyone argue with that we've been making computers simpler since 1980's. It's not possible to change the backlight of my monitor over DVI. There's no support in the protocol for it. There are a handful of proprietary technologies that LG, Dell and Apple use but none are supported without USB or other serial command/data connection anyway.

2. Same reason as above, more cost, more time consuming, easily lost, can break easily, just not very user friendly. Native support would be nice.

3. Just because you have to work for it, it doesn't mean you're any less responsible to pay for it. No I don't like the cost of windows either, and have also been pirating it but I do that out of protest against the price, not because I feel like I deserve to get it for free.

3b. Also I don't use CD/DVD drives. Optical is a dead format that only silver surfers, cavemen and people that have no other alternative use. I shouldn't have to buy a DVD drive to install windows and then never use it again.

Spoiler

1. It's more user friendly, simple. How can anyone argue with that we've been making computers simpler since 1980's. It's not possible to change the backlight of my monitor over DVI. There's no support in the protocol for it. There are a handful of proprietary technologies that LG, Dell and Apple use but none are supported without USB or other serial command/data connection anyway.

2. Same reason as above, more cost, more time consuming, easily lost, can break easily, just not very user friendly. Native support would be nice.

3. Just because you have to work for it, it doesn't mean you're any less responsible to pay for it. No I don't like the cost of windows either, and have also been pirating it but I do that out of protest against the price, not because I feel like I deserve to get it for free.

3b. Also I don't use CD/DVD drives. Optical is a dead format that only silver surfers, cavemen and people that have no other alternative use. I shouldn't have to buy a DVD drive to install windows and then never use it again.

1. I see your point , but i disagree because I don't feel there's a need for it (or demand) , which is why we don't hae it.

2. if i'm not mistaken, most headphones now are either usb or audiophile grade ones are usually used with a dac. (once again no demand)

3. Same reason I do. I'd buy windows if it was 40$ or less. but remember most people are still cavemen.

3b. Potato.