Making Windows XP usable, after the huge success i had with Vista

Vishera

So after i made Windows Vista not only usable,but play DX11 games as well,

Now it's the turn of Windows XP, I don't expect DX11  to work but at least make it usable for everyday use.

Windows XP on Ryzen!,oh and HTML 5 works on the Serpent browser (forked from Firefox)

1353294803_DesktopScreenshot2021_09.13-16_45_49_11.thumb.png.e218c3f9a584a45c187ac606639e81df.png

169271718_DesktopScreenshot2021_09.13-16_19_47_45.thumb.png.43093afb3f657df0adc531817122a973.png

It works,but it's significantly more limited than Vista and it feels very outdated.

If you are looking for modern-ish games to play on XP,then Resident Evil 6 and Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII will work but i need to test that on my test machine since that one has a GPU with drivers for XP.

If you want an older OS and still have good experience,I recommend to go Windows 7 if you can,and if you prefer Vista - It's practical if you use mods like the extended kernel mod.

If you want to to just browse the web and if you are fine with DX9 and drivers limit and lack of security updates,then Windows XP. could be the OS for you.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

I believe it since I have a copy that works with a Z270 board/setup, namely my Maximus IX Apex and 7700K I use for benching.

For security it's not what I'd want for web browsing and frankly I'd have it as an off-line machine but if wanting a retro-style OS for messing around with, playing games off-line that's older and so on it's fine.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I don't really get the drive behind trying to run Windows XP for modern applications.  And I say that while posting on my i3 3250 powered Windows XP/Win10 dual boot PC that I use for retro XP Gaming. 😛

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Just now, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I don't really get the drive behind trying to run Windows XP for modern applications.

It's an experiment to see how far can i go with older operating systems.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

9 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I don't really get the drive behind trying to run Windows XP for modern applications.  And I say that while posting on my i3 3250 powered Windows XP/Win10 dual boot PC that I use for retro XP Gaming. 😛

It's like a mountain and why you'd climb it.

Some want to run an older OS "Just because" and refuse to be "Told" what they can and can't use by Microsoft, trying to literally force Win 10 on everyone.
MS has been doing this in an underhanded way for sometime now by, for example getting the chip makers to include microcode in their chips to block installs of USB drivers and even disable USB functionality in newer pieces of hardware ran with Win 7, even though the hardware itself is perfectly capable of running it with no issues.

I know that to be fact because I had this very system working great with Win 7 and one day I got myself a 220GE and just popped it in - And suddenly found ALL my USB functionality disabled and the system refused to reinstall the drivers.
Finally took it back out, popped the older x2700 back in and was able to restore most of the functionality - Note I said MOST since it did manage to bork any USB that wasn't from a port on the back of the board itself.
Only those work now but any USB headers still don't unlike before when they were all working without issue.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

I corrected the name of the Browser that i used. from Bsilisk to Serpent (got confused,long explanation that i will spare you from)

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

MS has been doing this in an underhanded way for sometime now by, for example getting the chip makers to include microcode in their chips to block installs of USB drivers and even disable USB functionality in newer pieces of hardware ran with Win 7, even though the hardware itself is perfectly capable of running it with no issues.

The solution to that problem is the XHCI driver stack from My Digital Life forum: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/usb-3-xhci-driver-stack-for-windows-7.81934/

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I know that to be fact because I had this very system working great with Win 7 and one day I got myself a 220GE and just popped it in - And suddenly found ALL my USB functionality disabled and the system refused to reinstall the drivers.
Finally took it back out, popped the older x2700 back in and was able to restore most of the functionality - Note I said MOST since it did manage to bork any USB that wasn't from a port on the back of the board itself.
Only those work now but any USB headers still don't unlike before when they were all working without issue.

Depending on the chipset you have and the architecture of the CPU,each CPU+Chipset combo has a different solution to that problem.

But XHCI is a universal solution.

Says you have to login and since I'm not part of that forum I can't download it.
No biggie since I'm now running Linux for my daily and can do a reinstall like the original was done and get it all back if I really want to.

Neither does the old Starfleet Command series - It really doesn't want to run in Win 7 either but works great in XP.
Have the original, Empires at War and the Orion Pirates version of this series.