WIll my graphics card be bottlenecked?

nozamA
Go to solution Solved by nozamA,

Hi all, i have posted here before, and after some playing around, I have a new PCPP list. It consists of an RTX 2060, 16 GB RAM, and an Intel core i3 10105F.

That's my problem. I'm not sure if my graphics card will be bottlenecked by my more budget CPU, and i'd quite like to keep the RTX card.

Here is the PCPP list if you want:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QPHLMv

If I would be bottlenecked, what CPU would you recommend, I know there is very much around this price range so i can pay maybe up to $100 more. (Australian dollars).

I have also made a similar PCPP list with an AMD CPU, though the specs of the 3300X and the 10105F are quite similar, so maybe i should choose a different CPU? I'd also like it to be slightly cheaper.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/7KLKfP

Thanks.

Hi all, i have posted here before, and after some playing around, I have a new PCPP list. It consists of an RTX 2060, 16 GB RAM, and an Intel core i3 10105F.

That's my problem. I'm not sure if my graphics card will be bottlenecked by my more budget CPU, and i'd quite like to keep the RTX card.

If I would be bottlenecked, what CPU would you recommend, I know there is very much around this price range so i can pay maybe up to $100 more. (Australian dollars).

I have also made a similar PCPP list with an AMD CPU, though the specs of the 3300X and the 10105F are quite similar, so maybe i should choose a different CPU? I'd also like it to be slightly cheaper.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, nozamA said:

Thanks.

I've got a friend with a 6700k (similar if not slightly worse than that i3) and a 2060, and in all the games he plays he get's 95%+ of GPU usage. While I don't personally recommend buying new quad cores now, it's more because more cores are becoming more useful, and if you really need to save a buck, you're usually better off getting a used i7 7700 or something similar instead. If all you do is game and nothing else (like streaming, production, etc.), the quad core will be fine, but I'd check your used market to see if you can get a 6th or 7th gen i7 for less. 

First of all: there is ALWAYS bottleneck.

Second: the 2060 is a little slower than a 1080 and a 10105 is basically equivalent to a 7700 and hella people had systems with a 7700 and a 1080 in 2016. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Thank you to @Middcore and @RONOTHAN##. This was very helpful.

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I've got a friend with a 6700k (similar if not slightly worse than that i3) and a 2060, and in all the games he plays he get's 95%+ of GPU usage. While I don't personally recommend buying new quad cores now, it's more because more cores are becoming more useful, and if you really need to save a buck, you're usually better off getting a used i7 7700 or something similar instead. If all you do is game and nothing else (like streaming, production, etc.), the quad core will be fine, but I'd check your used market to see if you can get a 6th or 7th gen i7 for less. 

I do agree that there is probably a used 6/7th gen processor for less, although I would like a bit more of an upgrade path, as I might upgrade in a year or two, and would like to without having to get a new motherboard. Thanks though for the information, this did help quite a lot.

17 minutes ago, Middcore said:

First of all: there is ALWAYS bottleneck.

Second: the 2060 is a little slower than a 1080 and a 10105 is basically equivalent to a 7700 and hella people had systems with a 7700 and a 1080 in 2016. 

Thank you. I now hold more knowledge.

37 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Used i7 are usually extremely expensive for what they offer compared to new equivalents. Most of the time buying new is better than getting a used i7 unless you already own motherboard and memory for it.

Just as example, on ebay the mentioned 6700K/7700K cost around the same price as the i3 10100f, often slightly more (used, new it costs over 3 times more), motherboards are cheaper, but not by that much, in the end you might save a bit of money but will get parts without any warranty and no upgrade path at all, while on the i3 you would have both warranty and lots of options from 6 up to 10 cores to upgrade to, most of the time unless you get a really good deal, it's not worth it.

Just now, KaitouX said:

Used i7 are usually extremely expensive for what they offer compared to new equivalents. Most of the time buying new is better than getting a used i7 unless you already own motherboard and memory for it.

Just as example, on ebay the mentioned 6700K cost around the same price as the i3 10100f, often slightly more (used, new it costs over 3 times more), motherboards are cheaper, but not by that much, in the end you might save a bit of money but will get parts without any warranty, most of the time unless you get a really good deal, it's not worth it.

Yeah, I probably should've changed the "less" to "much less". I will say I have seen used i7s for really cheap (6700k for ~$60), mainly before this whole silicon shortage we're in now. I have seen them sell for a reasonable price, but it's not all that common and usually they end up selling very quickly. It's usually worth a look at least, since they can offer a pretty good value if you can find a good price on a motherboard/CPU/RAM combo. 

5 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Just as example, on ebay the mentioned 6700K cost around the same price as the i3 10100f, often slightly more (used, new it costs over 3 times more), motherboards are cheaper, but not by that much, in the end you might save a bit of money but will get parts without any warranty and no upgrade path at all, while on the i3 you would have both warranty and lots of options from 6 up to 10 cores to upgrade to, most of the time unless you get a really good deal, it's not worth it.

I agree, an old 6700/7700 will probably be around the same price, but used. I'm not too familiar with motherboards of that socket, but I imagine they are similar. The upgrade path is the majority of it though, because i will probably upgrade to a 6 or 8 core CPU in a year or two.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yeah, I probably should've changed the "less" to "much less". I will say I have seen used i7s for really cheap (6700k for ~$60), mainly before this whole silicon shortage we're in now. I have seen them sell for a reasonable price, but it's not all that common and usually they end up selling very quickly. It's usually worth a look at least, since they can offer a pretty good value if you can find a good price on a motherboard/CPU/RAM combo. 

I do agree that older i7s are a great value, but what I need is an upgrade path. These older CPUs don't really support that.