I need help upgrading gpu so I dont bottle neck

Cr_2573

Hey guys I need help choosing a gpu upgrade, not buying it right now because of their crazy prices(but disregard that for now) 

I am looking for a new gpu upgrade for my system and I want the latest gpu I can have for my system without wasting any money but still getting the best performance possible.

my current system is 

Asus z87-k (mobo)

i7 4770k 4.0 ghz  (cpu)

Cooler master 240L V2 (cooler) 

2x 4gb ram (1333mhz)

2x 4gb ram (1660mhz)

Gtx 760 

Hcg 620m 620w semi-modular(psu) 

2x Intel s3500 246gb ssd

It is in a full tower case so size is not an issue. Don’t really care if it is Amd or Nvidia.

Thanks!

My memory is that prices start to really really ramp after a 1050ti so that may be as far as you can go.  I’ve got a very similar system myself with a 580 in it, and I find that with fallout4 when burying the 580, the cpu (which is OCed to 4.0ghz (you hopefully will do better) is 80%. I had a 5700xt for a minute and was still able to bury it on other things which would be about a 3060 power wise.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is that prices start to really really ramp after a 1050ti so that may be as far as you can go.  I’ve got a very similar system myself with a 580 in it, and I find that with fallout4 when burying the 580, the cpu (which is OCed to 4.0ghz (you hopefully will do better) is 80%. I had a 5700xt for a minute and was still able to bury it on other things which would be about a 3060 power wise.  

Yeah I looked into a 3060, but the problem is the bottleneck. But I am not to worried about the gpu's current price, I just want to know what the best fit for my system will be. Like if I should get a 1660 or go for a 1070. I dont know anything about bottleneking 

1 minute ago, Cr_2573 said:

Yeah I looked into a 3060, but the problem is the bottleneck. But I am not to worried about the gpu's current price, I just want to know what the best fit for my system will be. Like if I should get a 1660 or go for a 1070. I dont know anything about bottleneking 

This is actually probably a good thing.  Much of what is said about bottlenecking I’ve seen from newer posters is BS.  Bottlenecking is unavoidable and varies by application.  It only needs to even be thought about if it is extremely severe. 80% vs 100% is actually pretty well balanced.  It’s if the number get to more like 60% vs 100% and it’s an app you use a lot that one starts to think about a different level of thing.  Conversely if I was running something really CPU intensive like anno the numbers on my machine might be reversed. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

This is actually probably a good thing.  Much of what is said about bottlenecking I’ve seen from newer posters is BS.  Bottlenecking is unavoidable and varies by application.  It only needs to even be thought about if it is extremely severe. 80% vs 100% is actually pretty well balanced.  It’s if the number get to more like 60% vs 100% and it’s an app you use a lot that one starts to think about a different level of thing.  Conversely if I was running something really CPU intensive like anno the numbers on my machine might be reversed. 

Hm, fair enough do you have any gpu recomendations for that matter then?

26 minutes ago, Cr_2573 said:

Hm, fair enough do you have any gpu recomendations for that matter then?

Just what I’ve given.  I’ve used a 580 with a 4770k at 1080p and gotten good 1080p (16x10) results.  Likewise with a5700xt which would be more or less equivalent to a 3060.  That’s about all I’ve got I’m afraid.  A lot of it depends on how much monitor you have.  The 4770k is an old system.  About the slowest thing that can play games and get away with it so too much gpu may be wasted.  The biggest thing I’d want to put on it I think would be a 6600xt or a 3060ti which will do 1440p@60 (16x10) ok or 4k (16x10) with resolution enhancement.  A 4k monitor can do 1080p (16x10) pretty well also so one can always step down if needed. I have no opinion about fps above 60 because my experience with those is quite limited. The thing I worry about most is the 4770k is in something of a danger zone along with other 4/8 and 6/6 cpus.   It’s only got 8 threads so there is already stuff it doesn’t run all that well.  It might have several years or only several weeks of gaming left in it. It will crush office productivity for years to come I expect. It’s got good ghz though it’s ipc is aging. It’s maximum possible longevity is probably 5 years as it can’t run win11 and that is when win10 stops being updated according to microsoft.  I suspect it will be decidedly retro by then. 4770k may have more trouble at higher fps because it’s single thread just isn't very fast by modern standards.  I don’t know how much though.

Fair enough, thank you for the help I appreciate it!