Custom case

Proxxi

So before I start this :
I want to mention that this Idea is in very early stages in my head and also subject to change in the future (most likely)

The case

I thought about making 2 or even 3 seperate airflow / wind areas.
1. is meant to be for everything that has to be on the Mobo. So basically the whole mobo package
2. the gpu maybe with the possibility to use a second gpu within this area (no need for sli) would most likely be 2 different cards anyways (not even sure if nvidia)
3. Drives, psu and other things that may need cooling.

No its more like a question at this point... 
Would something like the 2. airflow area even make any sense? Like a wind tunnel so to speak. The gpu would sit in this seperate area completely cut off from the main part. For thermals or possibly even noise. 
What kind of mesh and dust filter would be good to use to get a good airflow /  not that much resistance?

I do NOT REALLY care about the looks, there is no need for glass or acrylic panels. I wouldn't mind if all the sides are mesh if it improves cooling / airflow. 

I will try to make a 3d model or a sketch in photoshop or something. (Blender doesnt like me atm) So that its easier to understand. 

Maybe if you know how my thinking is you can already help me with this. 

For now since this is very early into planning and I first want to make a rough plan I don't want to plan for cable managment and wiring for front io yet. 

Please ask if you don't understand what I am thinking about 😄

Edited by Proxxi
Forgot to add that

7 hours ago, Proxxi said:

So before I start this :
I want to mention that this Idea is in very early stages in my head and also subject to change in the future (most likely)

The case

I thought about making 2 or even 3 seperate airflow / wind areas.
1. is meant to be for everything that has to be on the Mobo. So basically the whole mobo package
2. the gpu maybe with the possibility to use a second gpu within this area (no need for sli) would most likely be 2 different cards anyways (not even sure if nvidia)
3. Drives, psu and other things that may need cooling.

Would something like the 2. airflow area even make any sense? Like a wind tunnel so to speak. The gpu would sit in this seperate area completely cut off from the main part. For thermals or possibly even noise. 
What kind of mesh and dust filter would be good to use to get a good airflow /  not that much resistance?

I do NOT REALLY care about the looks, there is no need for glass or acrylic panels. I wouldn't mind if all the sides are mesh if it improves cooling / airflow. 

I will try to make a 3d model or a sketch in photoshop or something. (Blender doesnt like me atm) So that its easier to understand. 

Maybe if you know how my thinking is you can already help me with this. 

For now since this is very early into planning and I first want to make a rough plan I don't want to plan for cable managment and wiring for front io yet. 

Please ask if you don't understand what I am thinking about 😄

Many workstations and servers do this already. Look the the dell and Lenovo workstations. Many air ducts that redirect airflow. Works great. 

21 hours ago, Proxxi said:

Having seperate chambers for CPU&GPU makes sense. You can look to a lot of mITX cases for examples and recommendations on how to go about it, including but not limited to SSUPD Meshilicious, Dan case A4, Sliger SM550, Silverstove RVZZ 01/02/03, Fractal Design Node 202, Dr. Saber Sentry 2.0, and a case I've worked with recently, the Velka 5 V2.0. 

There are many more examples of "Sandwhich" style layouts within the mITX community, but what about larger? The only notable case I can point you to is the mATX Project Orthrus which is currently on life support due to the death of SLI. Nevertheless, it should give you an idea of what to expect.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/project-orthrus-smallest-sli-matx-case-v2.835/

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

There are many more examples of "Sandwhich" style layouts within the mITX community, but what about larger? The only notable case I can point you to is the mATX Project Orthrus which is currently on life support due to the death of SLI. Nevertheless, it should give you an idea of what to expect.

So I didn't have time to think more about my idea today due to work. 

Yet at first i thought : If I want something that looks good (and this is only in the very rare / unsure case that I care about it) I should probably do something with the looks of the Tristellar from Deepcool. Something like that gives me this futuristic interior vibe you get from playing space games like Star Citizen or watching series that play in the future. Yet I think my room is either too "uncool" for this kind of vibe or the case would end up too big. I could probably make a very small case in that style with a lot more modding but I'm not so sure. 

Then I thought about making something small in a server rack style. This would save space in terms of height and possible make it more slim and look better since my pc ,no matter what case ideas I get, will be on the desk. But making it slim (in height) possible means to make it wider which will then interfer with my current monitor stand and in the future with my keyboard.

Then, as you pointed out, there would be the "sandwich" styles. However I think there are to options a "wide" sandwich and a "tall" one. So either like mobo and everything right, gpu left or for the tall option mobo bottom and gpu at the top. 

Like I wrote in the first part of this reply, I am still very unsure if I want to go for looks or not. (Just to proof my "insecurity" about this part. My current case the Corsair Carbide 270R stands to the left of the main monitor on my desk. Meaning the Window points basically away from me so all I see is the right side and the front io. This is mainly because of my short headset cables but also due to the fact that I don't need to see whats inside all the time or need RGB. My keyboard already has it and I am happy with that little

Maybe because of this the Tristellar came into my mind?

Oh and I looked at all the cases but, I want something well not too small. mITX even mATX is on the edge. I would like to keep using my ATX board for this build idea. (And yes this makes the idea of the Tristellar even more distant)

I will try to make some design ideas tomorrow. Don't know if I want to use Blender, 3ds MAX or Sketchup or something like that. Maybe ill just go for Photoshop at the end. 

15 hours ago, Proxxi said:

Like I wrote in the first part of this reply, I am still very unsure if I want to go for looks or not. (Just to proof my "insecurity" about this part.)

I completely understand. You want to make sure the case firts your design tastes, but fits the room, as well as performs well. 

16 hours ago, Proxxi said:

Oh and I looked at all the cases but, I want something well not too small. mITX even mATX is on the edge. I would like to keep using my ATX board for this build idea. (And yes this makes the idea of the Tristellar even more distant)

Oh absolutely, the examples were not a suggestion that mITX was the recommended build path but simply ideas for how the system could be laid out within the internal volume of the case. Honestly, your initial idea sounded like an ATX version of the Meshilicious. 

Tristellar (or Quad stellar if you wanted to add a 4th bay for just storage lol) is definitely a very looks focused case. An Inverted case to boot at least somewhat narrows down a concept, as with a custoim case you can choose which computer part you want to look at most (motherboard or GPU)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25