Will my pc work without restrictions if i get a TPM 2.0 module for my Z170+i7 6700 PC ?

Seyrren
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
16 hours ago, Seyrren said:

Hi my hardware is as follow:

CPU: i7 6700

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170-HD3 DDR3

RAM: 16 GB @2400Mhz

GPU: NVIDIA RTX2060

If get a Gigabyte GC TPM 2.0 will windows 11 work without restrictions on my PC and will i be able to upgrade to it when its launched or is my hardware unsupported even with a TPM module ?

Windows 11 system requirement are as follows:

• UEFI enabled system (can't be set to legacy)
  • CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Disabled
  • Secure Boot
  • TPM 2.0 (firmware TPM is supported. AMD is called: fTPM, Intel calls theirs: PTT)

If you check your motherboard manual:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170-hd3(ddr3)_e.pdf

Page 31.

image.png.c7d6066d9c3e73729c2d81f5087103ba.png

Enable this option. Also, while in the UEFI ensure that the above listed requirement are set correctly.

Please note:

• Windows 11 does not support your CPU
  • For what we know at the moment: You need to be in the Insider Program of Windows 11 to get updates for unsupported CPUs powered system.

If get a Gigabyte GC TPM 2.0 will windows 11 work without restrictions on my PC and will i be able to upgrade to it when its launched or is my hardware unsupported even with a TPM module ?

1 minute ago, Seyrren said:

Some 7th gen chips and up are supported. 6700 is unfortunately too old.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

windows 11 is not much difrent than win 10.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

17 minutes ago, Seyrren said:

I am running the dev releases on my 6700k system no problems. Your chip supports ftpm. You just need to enable it in the bios.

5 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

I am running the dev releases on my 6700k system no problems. Your chip supports ftpm. You just need to enable it in the bios.

He will not be able to run the release version of Windows 11.

42 minutes ago, rickeo said:

He will not be able to run the release version of Windows 11.

Maybe, maybe not. Unless there are more checks added by Microsoft between now and then it will likely work. From my tests they are mainly cutting out machines that don't have tpm and secure boot. But yes, by written support that is accurate written vs actual is always different. Windows 10 don't support processors prior to Intel 5th generation, but they work fine. 

11 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

Maybe, maybe not. Unless there are more checks added by Microsoft between now and then it will likely work. 

This is incorrect. We've known for a while that 6th gen and older was out, it was only 7th gen that was iffy. 

August 27th (this was covered on the WAN show) and is the most up to date information: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/27/update-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements-and-the-pc-health-check-app/

I think that after reading that, its a little crazy that they'll just decide to drop all those requirements in a month.

2 hours ago, rickeo said:

This is incorrect. We've known for a while that 6th gen and older was out, it was only 7th gen that was iffy. 

August 27th (this was covered on the WAN show) and is the most up to date information: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/08/27/update-on-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements-and-the-pc-health-check-app/

I think that after reading that, its a little crazy that they'll just decide to drop all those requirements in a month.

I am not saying they are dropping it on paper. I am saying what will work in actuality. The requirements they put on paper aren't what is truly required to get it running. 

Right now they aren't enforcing processor generation requirements but tpm and secure boot during install and updating. 

Well i decided to go ahead risk it and buy the TPM 2.0 module, if my CPU won't work and i wont be able to get the free windows 11 upgrade ce la vie...

16 hours ago, Seyrren said:

• Secure Boot
  • TPM 2.0 (firmware TPM is supported. AMD is called: fTPM, Intel calls theirs: PTT)

Page 31.

Enable this option. Also, while in the UEFI ensure that the above listed requirement are set correctly.

Please note:

• For what we know at the moment: You need to be in the Insider Program of Windows 11 to get updates for unsupported CPUs powered system.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

• Secure Boot

Page 31.

Please note:

If i get into the windows insider program does that mean i automatically got my pc registered for windows 11 and i have it permanently ? (Like with windows 10 free update)

32 minutes ago, Seyrren said:

If i get into the windows insider program does that mean i automatically got my pc registered for windows 11 and i have it permanently ? (Like with windows 10 free update)

Yes. That said, I cannot predict the future. I don't know if Microsoft would continue to allow Insiders on Win11 without supported CPUs. So you do risk having to reinstall Win10 (there is no downgrade path once you upgrade)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes. That said, I cannot predict the future. I don't know if Microsoft would continue to allow Insiders on Win11 without supported CPUs. So you do risk having to reinstall Win10 (there is no downgrade path once you upgrade)

Ah, so at least you do get the license and have it tied to your ms account even with the insider builds, that's great (in the past i heard that this was not the case). To be honest i just want to get the license tied to my windows account, and I'll probably go back to windows 10 right at that moment. I do not have much of an interest in windows 11, but i do want to take advantage of the free upgrade (even if i had to get the tpm module its still cheaper then a license), just in case i may not have any other option but to role with it. For instance the lack of positioning the taskbar to the side (as i use an ultrawide monitor) is to irritating for me and messes to much with my workflow, that alone will make me stick with windows 10 even if i do manage to register 11.

• 4 months later...

Old topic...but it works just fine with my i7-6700.  My motherboard (ASUS Z270 Tuff 1.0) has TPM 2.0  I recently did a clean install of Windows 11 (last week) and I had no issues.  I have seen older machines block the clean install when it did not meet some requirement.