need wifi help for first college apt!!

ASAPnico

So I recently moved in to my first apartment away from my parents and I had to get an isp for myself. The only provider in my area is xfinity and the router they gave me uses a coax port in the living room because of this the ethernet in the house doesn't work. I'm wondering if I'm missing something and that's the reason my ethernet isn't working? Alternatively, I've considered buying a new router (mainly so I don't have to pay to rent xfinitys) does anybody have a router (on the cheaper end) that might work, or a solution to getting the ethernet working (I would really prefer not to run an ethernet cable from my room to the living room?

thanks guys

Just to add on I saw the netgear AC1600 on sale on amazon, but it doesn't have a coax port so I'm not sure if I could us that.

2 minutes ago, ASAPnico said:

Just to add on I saw the netgear AC1600 on sale on amazon, but it doesn't have a coax port so I'm not sure if I could us that.

So your modem, with the coax connected to it, should have 1 or 4 ethernet ports. If it has 1, you'll need to connect that to your router. If it has 4 you can use the modem as a router, or connect on of them to your router and use that.

If you decide to get your own modem with a coax port, you would need to call them to register it.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

If your house has ethernet running everywhere already, it might not be hooked up properly. For example, if you have an ethernet plug in your living room where the modem is, and you plug into it, it may not provide internet to the rest of the house if its not hooked up. Typically in the scenario I described, the cables run to a wall plate in a closet or the laundry room, etc. They would need to be routed from there to provide the house with ethernet. That's just one scenario tho.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

If you don't want to rent your modem, you will need a DOCSIS 3 or 3.1 modem, like this one.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

somewhere there should be a place where all the ethernet drops meet, there they should plug into a switch that you may have to provide yourself. Once set up and configured, you can plug the LAN side of your router into one of the wall ports and the rest of the house should have network access

2 hours ago, ASAPnico said:

So I recently moved in to my first apartment away from my parents and I had to get an isp for myself. The only provider in my area is xfinity and the router they gave me uses a coax port in the living room because of this the ethernet in the house doesn't work. I'm wondering if I'm missing something and that's the reason my ethernet isn't working? Alternatively, I've considered buying a new router (mainly so I don't have to pay to rent xfinitys) does anybody have a router (on the cheaper end) that might work, or a solution to getting the ethernet working (I would really prefer not to run an ethernet cable from my room to the living room?

thanks guys

Xfinty provides a Internet Gateway (Modem/Router). So you either have to buy a gateway or buy a modem and separate router (Which is what I recommend). Xfinty has a supported device list for modems and gateways on their website, buy one of those, because its guaranteed to work with their network. 

The trick with cable modems is that depends on the speed tier your subscribe depends on how many down stream and upstream channels the modem will need to support. Or you say FUCK IT, and buy a Docsis 3.1 modem, and that will handle most speed tiers (just be aware that new Docsis 3.1 modems could have 2.5 Gbps support meaning it will support their Gigabit tier thats actually 1.2 Gbps). 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.