PSU only works part of the time.

Arem
Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,

Agreed with the above, don't open it.

If you can test with another PSU to rule out other hardware that would be ideal. Otherwise, PSUs are relatively inexpensive and if it were me I'd replace a suspected faulty unit out of an abundance of caution. Would hate to see a dying PSU take out other components.

Hey guys, thanks in advance for any advice.

I originally built my computer over 6 years ago with the help of this forum, and while I've upgraded many components since, I'm still using my original EVGA PSU. (EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2, 80+ BRONZE 750W) Its been great all these years, but just recently its on the fritz and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do, or if I have to replace it.

Basically I can work on my computer for an hour, put it to sleep, and upon return nothing works. The power button does nothing, there are no lights, no fan spin, and no signs of life. I first unplugged everything from the PSU and did the paperclip test, which failed. I then slumped over and began taking the PSU out of the case. On a whim I tried the test again and the PSU worked. I put it back and the computer worked, and worked well. I was able to play VR on just fine as well as Horizon Zero Dawn. However this behavior has stuck. 80% of the time my computer will not turn on, and I have to jostle the whole thing to even have a chance of it powering up. Also, several times I'll sit there scratching my head and the thing will just come to life on its own. In the beginning of this year I managed to upgrade to a R5 5600x from my i5 4690k, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Using EVGA's website, it looks like I'm out of warranty, but might they still help me? They have conflicting info on how long their warranty lasts. If they can't help, is there anything I can do to rectify the problem? I dare not open the thing, seems far to dangerous. 

Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, Arem said:

Hey guys, thanks in advance for any advice.

I originally built my computer over 6 years ago with the help of this forum, and while I've upgraded many components since, I'm still using my original EVGA PSU. (EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2, 80+ BRONZE 750W) Its been great all these years, but just recently its on the fritz and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do, or if I have to replace it.

Basically I can work on my computer for an hour, put it to sleep, and upon return nothing works. The power button does nothing, there are no lights, no fan spin, and no signs of life. I first unplugged everything from the PSU and did the paperclip test, which failed. I then slumped over and began taking the PSU out of the case. On a whim I tried the test again and the PSU worked. I put it back and the computer worked, and worked well. I was able to play VR on just fine as well as Horizon Zero Dawn. However this behavior has stuck. 80% of the time my computer will not turn on, and I have to jostle the whole thing to even have a chance of it powering up. Also, several times I'll sit there scratching my head and the thing will just come to life on its own. In the beginning of this year I managed to upgrade to a R5 5600x from my i5 4690k, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Using EVGA's website, it looks like I'm out of warranty, but might they still help me? They have conflicting info on how long their warranty lasts. If they can't help, is there anything I can do to rectify the problem? I dare not open the thing, seems far to dangerous. 

Thanks in advance.

Don't open it!

You could try cleaning it using canned "air". But it doesn't bode well for the PSU.

Unlikely, but optimal if you could test with another PSU, to make sure that is the faulty part

If you can test with another PSU to rule out other hardware that would be ideal. Otherwise, PSUs are relatively inexpensive and if it were me I'd replace a suspected faulty unit out of an abundance of caution. Would hate to see a dying PSU take out other components.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

1 hour ago, helfisk said:

Don't open it!

You could try cleaning it using canned "air". But it doesn't bode well for the PSU.

Unlikely, but optimal if you could test with another PSU, to make sure that is the faulty part

I guess I might as well try using some canned air. I have a 600w psu from an old HP workstation, but it doesn't have enough pins for my GPU, so I can't actually use my computer with it. I could throw in an ancient quadro that I have laying around. Thanks.

53 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

The only spare PSU I have doesn't have enough pins for my GPU, so I would have to put in an old card to test it. I would hate to lose any part, especially my GPU, due to my PSU. Alright, seems like a trip to a few computer stores around here is in order. Thanks.