i5-7300HQ processor lowers frequency at weird times

Hi there, all.

I've ran into an issue with my Dell Inspiron 15 7567 lately. This started happening a few days ago, and I have no battery installed, i'm running off AC power. The processor usually runs at 60-68 C and the laptop has enough airflow and is not dusty, but not powered by an external cooler. So, to the issue.

Whenever I launch a game, or have a demanding process, the processor clocks down 10 MHz at a time until it reaches 0.45 GHz (as low as i've seen it go), then it goes back up to 3 GHz if it wants to, if not, to 1 or 2 GHz frequency. It basically does what it wants, and I want it to run at a constant powerful speed all the time. I'm not sure if I should go into the BIOS and fiddle around with settings, but I literally cannot play games or multitask on a gaming laptop because of this issue. I pull up HWMonitor and Task Manager and it gives me all the info I need, i don't really know how to read if the temperatures and voltages are fine on there by the way. 

Although, when I browse casually and don't overload it, the processor stays at a constant 3.09 GHz. 

Please help, if anyone has any ideas do let me know and if you need any other information in order for you to assist me please do ask and I will gladly provide.

Thank you!

Try this

Short tdp limit yeet tutorial to make your cpu boost as much as it wants

download throttlestop, pressing the turn on button, going into the tpl menu, set turbo long, short, and pp0 current to 99999 and shove the sliders all the way to the right, clamp, lock, apply, power limits yeeted

Prob just power throttling for no reason, though you can also use xtu if you want

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Try this

Short tdp limit yeet tutorial to make your cpu boost as much as it wants

download throttlestop, pressing the turn on button, going into the tpl menu, set turbo long, short, and pp0 current to 99999 and shove the sliders all the way to the right, clamp, lock, apply, power limits yeeted

Prob just power throttling for no reason, though you can also use xtu if you want

In task manager it says power throttling is disabled for all programs. Is there not enough power to supply the graphics card and processor?

2 minutes ago, culture1322 said:

In task manager it says power throttling is disabled for all programs. Is there not enough power to supply the graphics card and processor?

No i mean cpu tdp power throttling not taks manager power throttling

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Ahhhhh, so I'm in throttlestop right now. on turbo power limits. Can you go into more detail on what to do? I've unchecked Disable Control, checked Long Power PL1 and  Short Power PL2, increased the Turbo Time limit all the way to the right, clamped both, and for the Miscellaneous part what should I do?

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Could you please teach me how to do it correctly? I'm pulling my hairs out over this problem.

This is my current configuration.

Screenshot_1.png

4 hours ago, culture1322 said:

Could you please teach me how to do it correctly? I'm pulling my hairs out over this problem.

Screenshot_1.png

Uncheck all the lock boxes (i think this requires restart) then set pl1, pl2, and pp0 to 999999, then you can re clamp and lock the power limits, then press apply and ok

Well the sliders have already been shoved all the way to the right so thats good

Btw could you run a benchmark or game where the throttling happens?

And also check throttlestop to see if its power throttling or thermal throttling

20 hours ago, culture1322 said:

Set the Turbo Time Limit back to the default value, 28 seconds. Do not check the Lock option in the Power Limit Control section. The only Lock option you should check is the MMIO Lock option.

Check the Speed Shift option. Your CPU supports Speed Shift Technology which works great. Dell did not bother enabling this in the BIOS so you need to use ThrottleStop to enable this feature. After you check Speed Shift and press the Apply button, ThrottleStop will show you what the appropriate Min and Max values are. Speed Shift Max for your CPU is 35 and Min is usually 8. Once Speed Shift is enabled, the main ThrottleStop screen will show SST in green. Now you can check the Speed Shift EPP box. Set EPP to 0 for maximum CPU speed regardless of load. Setting EPP to 80 is a good compromise so your CPU will slow down when lightly loaded. 

Do not check any of the Clamp options and clear the PP0 Lock option at the bottom of the TPL window. Set the PP0 Turbo Time Limit to the minimum, 0.0010 seconds and set the PP0 Power Limit value to 0 and do not check this option. There is no need to use this option. 

Many Dell laptops with 7th Gen CPUs use clock modulation throttling. On the main screen of ThrottleStop, check the Clock Mod option and leave this set to 100.0%.

Clear the BD PROCHOT box. Not having a battery installed can cause some throttling issues. Your CPU will still thermal throttle if it ever gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not. BD PROCHOT and PROCHOT (processor hot) are two different things. 

After you get this sorted out, reboot and post some updated screenshots. Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Your log will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log to your next post so I can see what types of throttling your Dell is using. Some Dell laptops use three or four different throttling methods at the same time. The settings recommended should take care of these issues.

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

Set the Turbo Time Limit back to the default value, 28 seconds. Do not check the Lock option in the Power Limit Control section. The only Lock option you should check is the MMIO Lock option.

Check the Speed Shift option. Your CPU supports Speed Shift Technology which works great. Dell did not bother enabling this in the BIOS so you need to use ThrottleStop to enable this feature. After you check Speed Shift and press the Apply button, ThrottleStop will show you what the appropriate Min and Max values are. Speed Shift Max for your CPU is 35 and Min is usually 8. Once Speed Shift is enabled, the main ThrottleStop screen will show SST in green. Now you can check the Speed Shift EPP box. Set EPP to 0 for maximum CPU speed regardless of load. Setting EPP to 80 is a good compromise so your CPU will slow down when lightly loaded. 

Do not check any of the Clamp options and clear the PP0 Lock option at the bottom of the TPL window. Set the PP0 Turbo Time Limit to the minimum, 0.0010 seconds and set the PP0 Power Limit value to 0 and do not check this option. There is no need to use this option. 

Many Dell laptops with 7th Gen CPUs use clock modulation throttling. On the main screen of ThrottleStop, check the Clock Mod option and leave this set to 100.0%.

Clear the BD PROCHOT box. Not having a battery installed can cause some throttling issues. Your CPU will still thermal throttle if it ever gets too hot whether BD PROCHOT is checked or not. BD PROCHOT and PROCHOT (processor hot) are two different things. 

After you get this sorted out, reboot and post some updated screenshots. Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. Your log will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log to your next post so I can see what types of throttling your Dell is using. Some Dell laptops use three or four different throttling methods at the same time. The settings recommended should take care of these issues.

Thank you so much for the advice, unclewebb! I heard about you and saw you help some other dell 7567 users, this laptop is really prone to this kind of problem people are having. I have noticed slight 0.5s or shorter stutters but a stable framerate and frequency due to your options. The temperature is abysmal, I need a cooling device or a cooling pad for this laptop, if you have any recommendations that are cheap, reliable and efficient at cooling do let me know. I heard the cooling system on the 7567 is good, but I have to doubt that, or that it's either old and unable to cool as efficiently. The insides are not dusty at all, from what i've seen. I ordered a replacement battery and i'll be installing it, along with a cooler room and cooling device/pad on the laptop I think i'll be fine. I'll post a screenshot of the updated settings now and i'll post the log file below. Overall, better performance but increased temperature, which I am worried about.

**I SET THE CLOCK MOD TO 81.25% TEMPORARILY, BUT THE ENTIRE TIME THE GAME WAS RUNNING ON 100%**

clock1.png

2021-09-08.txt

@culture1322 Your CPU is running fantastic in the log file. I would check the MMIO Lock option and I would clear the PP0 Power Limit / PP0 Turbo Time Limit Lock option at the bottom of the TPL window. I would never set Clock Mod to anything less than 100.0%. Set Speed Shift Max to less than 35 if you ever need to slow your CPU down to control heat. 

The problem you are having now is because Dell set an uber low GPU throttling temperature. The Nvidia default is usually about 94°C but Dell has low balled this all the way down to 74°C. This causes huge drops in GPU MHz and huge drops in FPS. You might have to repaste the GPU to get the temps as low as possible to avoid throttling. 

Some user with this problem was able to install an older GPU bios version that did not have this low GPU throttling temperature. Try running the GPU-Z program. It can report the default GPU throttling temperature and it can show what this is presently set to. TechPowerUp also have a stock pile of different GPU BIOS versions. 

Asus Tweak or Asus GPU Tweak might allow you to change the GPU throttling temperature. 

59 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@culture1322 Your CPU is running fantastic in the log file. I would check the MMIO Lock option and I would clear the PP0 Power Limit / PP0 Turbo Time Limit Lock option at the bottom of the TPL window. I would never set Clock Mod to anything less than 100.0%. Set Speed Shift Max to less than 35 if you ever need to slow your CPU down to control heat. 

The problem you are having now is because Dell set an uber low GPU throttling temperature. The Nvidia default is usually about 94°C but Dell has low balled this all the way down to 74°C. This causes huge drops in GPU MHz and huge drops in FPS. You might have to repaste the GPU to get the temps as low as possible to avoid throttling. 

Some user with this problem was able to install an older GPU bios version that did not have this low GPU throttling temperature. Try running the GPU-Z program. It can report the default GPU throttling temperature and it can show what this is presently set to. TechPowerUp also have a stock pile of different GPU BIOS versions. 

Asus Tweak or Asus GPU Tweak might allow you to change the GPU throttling temperature. 

Alright, grand. What exactly can I do now to improve what is still not in order? I'm really unsure about fiddling with the bios. I never really got into it, and I see that the laptop is running fine now but with high temps.

1 hour ago, culture1322 said:

high temps

When a CPU is not throttling, it is going to run at a higher temperature. That is normal. The maximum safe operating temperature for an Intel CPU is 100°C. This is when Intel says thermal throttling should begin. Dell decided to lower this to 97°C so your CPU is extra safe. The log file shows that the CPU is running at its full rated speed.

The entire problem now is GPU throttling. You can only fix that by increasing the throttling temperature to the proper value. Have you run GPU-Z yet to see what I am talking about? Have you tried running Asus Tweak to see if you can increase the GPU throttling temperature?

As soon as your GPU gets slightly warm, it is going to start to throttle and slow down. During some games, this might not happen. During any GPU demanding game, it will probably throttle. The longer you play, the more it will throttle. Replacing the thermal paste might be enough to avoid this Nvidia GPU throttling problem. 

Edit - Here is the last person I helped with this exact same problem.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/i-need-serious-help-plz-regarding-the-power-limit-throttling-on-my-dell-7567-i5-7300-hq-and-gtx-1050-ti.284662/

58 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

When a CPU is not throttling, it is going to run at a higher temperature. That is normal. The maximum safe operating temperature for an Intel CPU is 100°C. This is when Intel says thermal throttling should begin. Dell decided to lower this to 97°C so your CPU is extra safe. The log file shows that the CPU is running at its full rated speed.

The entire problem now is GPU throttling. You can only fix that by increasing the throttling temperature to the proper value. Have you run GPU-Z yet to see what I am talking about? Have you tried running Asus Tweak to see if you can increase the GPU throttling temperature?

As soon as your GPU gets slightly warm, it is going to start to throttle and slow down. During some games, this might not happen. During any GPU demanding game, it will probably throttle. The longer you play, the more it will throttle. Replacing the thermal paste might be enough to avoid this Nvidia GPU throttling problem. 

Edit - Here is the last person I helped with this exact same problem.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/i-need-serious-help-plz-regarding-the-power-limit-throttling-on-my-dell-7567-i5-7300-hq-and-gtx-1050-ti.284662/

I installed CPU-Z and gpu tweak, and activated gaming mode on it - and ran a test on CSGO. 100 FPS at a combination of mostly high settings - definitely more playable than before, with the 20 fps and CPU hell.  A GPU temp of 80 something C, with a GPU speed of 1493 MHz and a consistent non-fluctuating clock speed of 3.09 GHz on the i5. I don't think the standard 1050 mobile throttles, it must be his Ti version that does. The GPU usage was 70-80%, with some very very very minor stuttering, about 0.1s of some kind of screen shift (might be screen tearing from the high fps) I also do not see an option to increase the GPU throttling temperature, is it hidden or something? I ran the test for 20 minutes and it did not throttle or fluctuate at all. Though, I'm not sure if I have a problem anymore. To make sure, what else can I do to make sure my system run at acceptable framerates during gaming?

4 hours ago, culture1322 said:

CPU-Z

CPU-Z or GPU-Z? You need to use GPU-Z to see what your GPU throttling temperature is set to.

Run another log file. Your GPU was not going to 80C before.