Should i move to Linux and which version?

I want to move to linux but idk which version i should move to and is there anything i need to know because im good with pcs but i know nothing about linux. and will there be many compatability issues with games because im quite a competitive gamer.

Apparently ubuntu is supposed to be an easy linux for first time use.

Linux does have some game compatibility issues currently as of this date , but MOST popular games do function to some degree on the OS.

i wanted to see if it would be a better option for the future as im worried that windows 11 wont be as good as windows 10 and i dont want to be on a older version of windows when it comes out

15 minutes ago, xdenter said:

i wanted to see if it would be a better option for the future as im worried that windows 11 wont be as good as windows 10 and i dont want to be on a older version of windows when it comes out

I would suggest a Debian based os like Ubuntu. Don’t worry too much about not knowing anything the community is top and you will learn quickly if you want to test for game compatibility / play around you can create a VM or a dual boot also if you want a more windows experience there is KDE Plasma who has a version under Debian 🙂

22 minutes ago, xdenter said:

im worried that windows 11 wont be as good as windows 10

as a linux minded guy... MS needs to tank hard in order for 11 so be so much worse, that linux is a truly better option.

now.. the writing's on the wall, and they're defenately going for that good/bad cadence, but really... you'd need to be very linux minded to prefer the day to day experience.

as for some actual suggestions...

- ubuntu ofcourse, because it's the most new-user friendly option out there.

- xubuntu is a derivative of ubuntu, with a less resource intensive UI, with a layout that some may prefer over ubuntu's look.

- arch, if you're a special kind of "i like to live with a terminal" crazy.

- pop OS, it's debian based like ubuntu, but is backed by System76, who sell linux computers, so in a sense they have a deep financial interest in their OS being good. make of that what you will.

- If you are a programmer and like to package your own operating system, I recommend you try ArchLinux.

- If you are not a programmer and like Linux, Ubuntu may be your best choice.

I hope I can help you.

Guess who I am?

13 hours ago, xdenter said:

我想转移到 linux,但不知道我应该转移到哪个版本,有什么我需要知道的,因为我对个人电脑很好,但我对 linux 一无所知。并且游戏会不会有很多兼容性问题,因为我是一个很有竞争力的游戏玩家。

If you want to get the best experience for a gamer, according to my many years of experience in Linux, I still hope you don't choose Linux. It's difficult to solve the possible errors by yourself.

Guess who I am?

A "competitive gamer" part is tricky. Many competitive online games have anti-cheat solutions which don't work on Linux at all. Plus, if a game runs via Proton or is lazily ported to Linux, you'll get a performance hit compared to Windows.

Manjaro is actually one of the best distros I've tried (I prefer the KDE version). It's Arch Linux based which is not user friendly, but Manjaro somehow is. For the first time in some 20 years of trying Linux, this is the first time I haven't used Terminal/Konsole even once to do everything on the system. It also recognized my super problematic Realtek WLAN module without any extra fiddling.

Still, if gaming is core of what you do on the system, especially competitive, I'd still recommend Windows because of anti cheat systems that don't work well on Linux.

If you want to play games, just use Windows and save yourself a lot of hassle. Especially if you play competitive games, because anti-cheat doesn't work well with Linux.

That being said, any Ubuntu flavor, Linux Mint, Pop_OS, and ZorinOS are all good, beginner-friendly distros. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

19 hours ago, xdenter said:

You won't be. Windows 10 will be supported until 2025. There's no reason to switch to Windows 11 anytime soon unless you really want to. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

10+ year Linux vet that has never used Windows checking in. Here the distro's I recommend to people

Ubuntu and it's "flavors" (anything using buntu in it's name) has the magic powers of the google search result.

Linux Mint is solid boring stable, and "just works" but might support latest gen products

Manjaro is whats referred to as a "rolling release" great for the gamer, but definately for the power user that's willing to read. Manjaro is based on Arch Linux, which I personally prefer, but unless you want to actively WANT to read a wiki on how to do... anything. Dont use it.

If you want rolling, gamer friendly, but no wiki? Solus

Want to be a hipster? Elementary OS

Would you rather be a meme and get 4chan kudo's? Gentoo

Want security at all cost? TailsOS

Want a truely libre/free OS? Pure OS

Want to see what Linux was like 10 years ago? Slackware

Want a solid contender, "almost" anything, andor want a career in tech in the enterprise? openSUSE

Want the American version of the previous statement? Fedora

On 8/31/2021 at 10:48 AM, Giganthrax said:

You won't be. Windows 10 will be supported until 2025. There's no reason to switch to Windows 11 anytime soon unless you really want to. 

I was going to say, that it takes quite a few years before MS stop supporting the previous versions of Windows.

In the end it won't really matter after you know how the OS works, you can make it act like any other distro, but you should start with Ubuntu for a solid foundation on how most distros work

If you're looking specifically for gaming but are wanting to learn Linux so you can game on Linux it might be worth it to grab a steamdeck when they launch and then try to mimic what the steam deck does on a full PC so that way you at least have a point of reference to go by. There are a lot of great guides on there on how to get Steam and other gaming "platforms" set up on the various distributions of Linux. Generally a lot of those platforms are optimized for debian or ubuntu-based linux distributions so that might be a good place to start.

My personal favorite is Fedora but then again I work with a lot of Red Hat as part of my job thus part of why I like it. Any distro is worth checking out but 10leej has some solid recommendations.