best lga 775 motherboard for overclocking

best lga 775 motherboard for overclocking

First of all, read this:

And if you have any specific questions you can ask.

Honestly, this is old equipment, and it usually can't be overclocked as well as described in this thread. So if you have a 775/771 processor and you want to get the most out of this chip, for example, to play modern games, overclocking is not the thing.

I bet you will have stability issues, even if you play without OC for a long time. And overclocking does not always help in real use situations, such as games due to a slow system at all (slow sata2 slow ddr2 slow system bus slow pci-e 2.0). Only some of these items can be accelerated with OC and not much.

But for fun / experience, you may just need a mobo in good shape. Hi-end Asus P5Q-E, Asus P5Q Premium, Asus P5Q Deluxe or other P5Q also hi-end Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 or Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L have the top results.
You can find some others, such as Asus P5K or MSI P35 NEO2-FIR ...
It is better to have questions about a particular board or compare some of them.

5 hours ago, gsk07765 said:

But for fun / experience, you may just need a mobo in good shape. Hi-end Asus P5Q-E, Asus P5Q Premium, Asus P5Q Deluxe or other P5Q also hi-end Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 or Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L have the top results.

You can find some others, such as Asus P5K or MSI P35 NEO2-FIR ...
It is better to have questions about a particular board or compare some of them.

I'm sure this is the intent of the question.

Yes, the Gigabyte boards are good and you'd want one with a P45 chipset, preferably one that supports DDR3 but DDR2 boards aren't bad either.
The other good chipset is the X48 and that was used with boards such as the REX and so on.

As pointed out there are variants based on the same chipsets that can do just as well, I'll have to dig and recompile my list of these.
Even though P35 is shown above (And that's quite fair) I'd pass on those in favor of a P45 or X48 chipped board if at all possible, based on what chip(s) you intend to run in it.
P35 chipped boards are good, but not great vs the P45 and even an X48 in terms of FSB MHz capability.

For use with single/dual cored chips (E-8500 Wolfdale as an example) the X48 is very useful but the P45 can run them too. 
For quad cored chips (Like a Q9550) the P45 is it hands down because the X48 boards don't really "Like" quad chips so much.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

P45 picked up where X48 left off iirc. My Rampage Formula is a DDR2 board, and is awesome with Wolfdales. 600fsb with mine, might have gone faster but my ran stopped at 600. That same board struggles with Yorkfields over 475ish fsb. P45 was pretty good with them iirc, 500fsb+ was achievable with relative ease. About as easy to oc Wolfdale on X48. P35 was a good chipset too, but just not as good.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30, 1x TL-B12 Ext.
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, SN770 1TB
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |2x AL-18, 2x KL-12, 1x TY-143

Topped 600 with my old REX and it was validated.
Miss the old board but it has a good home and in very capable hands.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.