-1% Video Encode and Decode / Weird Freeze - Gigabyte Geforce 1650S

ArchLightXXVII

Hi All,

While watching Twitch livestreams today, I noticed my Google Chrome got into a weird state that I cannot click another tab.

Tried to right click into the desktop and the NVIDIA Control Panel is missing.

I'm trying to restart the system but it stays in the desktop and can't restart the windows. Can't also shutdown.

My mouse is fully functional but I cannot open new programs or anything. All I can do is to close some opened programs, but can't do any other actions.

I tried to restart windows explorer but no luck, it makes the situation worst. (As seen in the first pic)

Black screen in the background, the option of restart is left while trying to restart the system (as seen in the bottom first pic)

The weirdest part is, Video Encode & Decode is both -1%. All the graphs are stuck and not moving unless I click View Tab > Refresh

I checked every processed in the task manager, no apps uses 100% of my GPU.

Tried to CTRL+ALT+DEL then tried to shut it down. No luck to. (As seen in the second pic)

Tried to CTRL+ALT+DEL again and tried to restart it but no luck too.

The only thing that could solve this is to press and hold power button, forcing it to shutdown instantly.

The temps are okay, both CPU & GPU.

My PC got into this situation since I started using dual monitors with 2 different refresh rates, 75hz and 144hz.

Some says it might be hardware acceleration from the browser but I use my PC everyday with the same browser but this happen randomly. Sometimes while searching for a file or sometimes while typing for work

Tried to DDU and install older version of NVDIA driver but no luck.

The newer version of the drivers make it worse, while the older version tend to have better stability but still the problem still occur quite often.

Can someone help me? It's really frustrating.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 2600

Asrock B450 Steel Legend

T-Force Dark ZA 3200mhz 2x8gb

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1650 Super

Thanks!

240856131_379926706988494_8150457416306176892_n.jpg

240909356_372494204619491_7879002480858716057_n.jpg

What i really hate about this, you tried almost everything already... 🙍‍♀️ 

Try DDU Nvidia drivers (again) in safe mode and reinstall them. 

I had "similar" issues  btw, turned out a bios update fixed it (after 2 years!)

Not sure how applicable this is in your situation. 

Edit: what's the PSU?

Edit2: 

1 hour ago, ArchLightXXVII said:

My PC got into this situation since I started using dual monitors with 2 different refresh rates, 75hz and 144hz.

well, if that is your issue there is likely no fix, dual monitors on windows are problematic enough,  different refresh rates are even worse,  seems to me windows is constantly fighting with the Nvidia drivers...

I tried this for a while and gave up, 1 monitor is just so much easier and less hassle. 

You may contact Nvidia,  but this seems an ongoing issue and I doubt they can / want to fix it. $$$ is rolling in regardless of what they do anyway 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Edit: what's the PSU?

It's a Cooler Master MWE550 Bronze

10 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

What i really hate about this, you tried almost everything already... 🙍‍♀️ 

Try DDU Nvidia drivers (again) in safe mode and reinstall them. 

I had "similar" issues  btw, turned out a bios update fixed it (after 2 years!)

Not sure how applicable this is in your situation. 

Tried to DDU over and over again, even removed the PhysX something in the option. Same problem. I don't even remember how many times I've used DDU this week just because of this "bug".

The only decent driver I've installed is the older ones. (version 442) which I didn't have a problem for a long time. While installing new driver from the website gives me a hard time since after installing it, after an hour or 2, same "bug" occur.

Regarding in the motherboard, I've already changed my motherboard. From ASUS TUF B450M Pro-Gaming to Asrock B450 Steel Legend. Still, the problem shows after a while.

I've already updated the Bios of my new motherboard but still same situation.

6 hours ago, ArchLightXXVII said:

It's a Cooler Master MWE550 Bronze

That would be the next thing to try to change out imo, but I'm really just guessing... the symptoms are certainly weird, but could very well be psu related. 

Also, does this all happen if you only use one monitor? (We still haven't ruled that out either i guess)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

That would be the next thing to try to change out imo, but I'm really just guessing... the symptoms are certainly weird, but could very well be psu related. 

I'm planning to change the PSU after a while to a full modular since I'm having a problem with my cable management. 

I can't try to change my PSU as of now since I don't have a spare PSU to test with. So I don't really know if it's a PSU related issue or not.

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Also, does this all happen if you only use one monitor? (We still haven't ruled that out either i guess)

I could try. I always use those 2 monitors since I started to work and stream.

BTW, the issue doesn't appear before as I use my first monitor with 75hz refresh rate.