Overclocking a phenom 2 x4 965 be

I'm trying to get more power out of my 965 be. it has a cooler master ml240 liquid cooler strapped on and with the guides being 10 years old I didn't know if anyone on here knew what i could try 

I mean you can spend like 10$ and get a phenom Ii x4 if you want more cores? I mean what are you trying to do that needs more power?

Just now, jaslion said:

I mean you can spend like 10$ and get a phenom Ii x4 if you want more cores? I mean what are you trying to do that needs more power?

Sorry it is a x4 I'm on a garbage phone trying to type it all out

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Trying to use it to play the occasional games I don't want to upgrade anything just try and get a bit more power out 

Is this purely a fun tinkering project or are you actually trying to get more performance out of the system because it's your daily driver?

You could have bought a chip that mops the floor with a 965 for the price of your 240mm AIO. No amount of overclocking is going to make it acceptable in modern games. It's missing modern instruction sets for one thing. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Is this purely a fun tinkering project or are you actually trying to get more performance out of the system because it's your daily driver?

You could have bought a chip that mops the floor with a 965 for the price of your 240mm AIO. No amount of overclocking is going to make it acceptable in modern games. It's missing modern instruction sets for one thing. 

I got the aio for free its basically a bottom of the bin pc I payed almost nothing nothing build parts and lots i got for free I'm using it daily to play some games and do some work 

Shoot for 4ghz @ 1.474v or lower with a Northridge of 2.6 @ 1.2v. Keep it under 60c and your good to go. Try to use offset voltage to keep CnQ operational. 

have fun! 

If this is your only PC that you have to rely on, I can't recommend taking any risk trying to squeeze a bit more performance that won't make a practical difference. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

7 minutes ago, MadGoatHaz said:

Shoot for 4ghz @ 1.474v or lower with a Northridge of 2.6 @ 1.2v. Keep it under 60c and your good to go. Try to use offset voltage to keep CnQ operational. 

have fun! 

I've got it to 3.9ghz at 1.4250v the motherboard lended a hand and helped with the voltages and 2.6ghz on the northbridge I'm running prime 95 and cross fingers its looking good 

7 minutes ago, Middcore said:

If this is your only PC that you have to rely on, I can't recommend taking any risk trying to squeeze a bit more performance that won't make a practical difference. 

I'll keep that in consideration ill run it for a day and see if I see anything wrong 

16 minutes ago, Hunted0ne said:

I've got it to 3.9ghz at 1.4250v the motherboard lended a hand and helped with the voltages and 2.6ghz on the northbridge I'm running prime 95 and cross fingers its looking good 

Awesome, that's pretty good if it's stable. Watch those temps though. 

I gave an old 955be system to my cousin years ago, paired with an old gtx 970 it still chugs along with the gaming. Plays Destiny 2 just fine.

1 minute ago, MadGoatHaz said:

Awesome, that's pretty good if it's stable. Watch those temps though. 

I gave an old 955be system to my cousin years ago, paired with an old gtx 970 it still chugs along with the gaming. Plays Destiny 2 just fine.

I've got a 660 ti like I said it's a bottom of the barrel pc but its amazing