[Update: MS Backpedals] 1 7th Gen Intel CPU Supported by Windows 11, NO 1st Gen Ryzen to be added. Older hardware will not be blocked from Windows 11

rcmaehl
5 hours ago, silversnake1031 said:

image.thumb.png.4fa00a29016b5659411bc679a923e0d8.pngintel i3 4160 asus m32ad system 

No way! 🤣 Not happening. Sorry, but no.

That was real cruel of MS to be putting a banner up like that stoking false hope. 🤨

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It's a good thing it was never part of the original plan.

Nah, it was asked. Windows 10 was dead for the past 3-4 years. It had little to no more new feature updates. Windows 10 lacked any sort of focus. It was a patched up Win8 to return to form for desktops and laptops. They tried to bring the interface back together with Fluent Design, but Windows team was under poor management and had no clear vision. Team was split with so many different OSs and projects, that nothing got really done. Bugs were everywhere.

Windows 11 brings this massive clean up to the mess (still a lot of work needs to be done, but good start. Hope it continues, of course) and now the Windows team is all working together, and clearly its new leader brings vision.

Nah, Windows 10 was a mess. How can you have anything done when your team is split with OneCore, Windows 10X, Surface Hub, XBox OS, Surface Duo (was supposed to ship with a version of Windows design for it, hence why it's software is all... the way it is now. They recently bought an Android dev company to help... we will start to see results soon, actually, they have, apparently, already fix some major bugs on its first Duo phone... Microsoft has little to no experience in Android OS).

Anyways, everything you see with Windows 11 (see my thread under the Tech News section for the massive lost of features and improvements) was done in 1 year, during the pendemic, shortly after it got a new leadership. Personally, I am excited to see what will come later on.

If I'm not mistaken, Windows 10 was supposed to be the perpetual "Windows as a Service" platform, thus deviating from releasing a new OS every few years? I even recall one of LTT's videos mentioning this.

The thing is, Windows 11 is not a new OS built from the ground up. It's still based on Windows 10, which was based on 8, which was based on 7, Vista, XP, 2000..  you get the gist. The 20 year old spaghetti mess is still there, except it has the number 11 in the name now. That's why I don't see the point of releasing a "Windows 11" when they could've just provided Windows 10 with an update, as they originally intended, news which was well received at the time.

There's a reason everything was done in 1 year. You don't just pump out a massive OS like that. It's Windows 10 with a few changes that are, actually, relatively small when you consider the operating system as a whole with decades of work put into it. They could've updated Windows 10 with an optional new look, and depending on the hardware you run (P/E cores) a different version of the OS would be installed. Exact same result.

This is 100% a marketing thing. And as far as I know the vast majority of Windows users hate the new look and will instantly switch back to the classic look. Just like they did with Vista and 8.

1 hour ago, Tr0gdor said:

The thing is, Windows 11 is not a new OS built from the ground up. It's still based on Windows 10, which was based on 8, which was based on 7, Vista, XP, 2000..  you get the gist. The 20 year old spaghetti mess is still there, except it has the number 11 in the name now. That's why I don't see the point of releasing a "Windows 11" when they could've just provided Windows 10 with an update, as they originally intended, news which was well received at the time.

Correct.

However, every so often you have to re-establish a new base-line; and that entails a cut-off via End-of-Life. From Day 1 of installing Windows 11, MS wants to ensure minimum security requirements are met. And given that VBS is a large portion of that, that also means raising the CPU requirements as it basically puts a 5% performance hit on CPUs that can do this in hardware. Anything Intel 6th generation and older would ostensibly be hit with up to 30+% performance impact once VBS and HVCI is enabled.

Microsoft hasn't been very transparent about that honestly. It seems how they really want to sell it is on the GUI which as you've correctly pointed out is just lipstick on the same pig.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Also, are you seriously trying to imply that Windows 10 is buggy but Windows 11 is not? If so, lol, good one.

No no, I was not saying it has less bugs for Windows, I was pointing Surface Duo Android release. The Duo was supposed to run another "OneCore, but not really" Windows version initially. I was pointing that the Windows team were split in so many ways, and hence why nothing was really done in Windows 10, and all these side OS they built ended up in the trash, 'cause all had major issues due to lack of resources (expertise). They scrap the Windows for Surface Duo for Android, being rushed, and again having limited experience with Android OS dev, the experience is the Surface Duo was very buggy and unresponsive. The Duo 2 apparently has a lot of improvements now, after getting outside help (and bought the company they were getting help from), but it's not in a few months things, for the Duo, I mean, would be fixed. Duo 2 still a lot of issues.

Windows bug sides, so far, same. Although, no data loss this time around. So progress?!

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

If all that was done in less than a year then imagine what Windows 11 could have been if they had taken the time to actually develop it properly and not rush it out full of bugs and missing features... 

Yup. Maybe we would have Fluent Design, original marketed to us under Win10, to start with.