How Thermal Compound Spreads

Looks like I have been doing it wrong all these years.

I always use the spread method but this shows why it is wrong.

He has an MX-2 video as well. Interesting viewing.

Nothing to see here - move along.

I've used the rice shape one. Till this day idk if it actually works lol.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

ooh so much better :P I love watching Linus all those years ago...

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

I do the Chuck Norris shaped one. It reduces my temperature by 1000 degrees!

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The physical best one is the X shape, but the coolest and one that actually works is the "metal method" where do draw a \m/ :P

Hey.

I've always used the dot method. Just a bit in the center and put the heatsink on. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

From now on I will be using the X method.

I never knew the spread method had so many air bubbles.

I think I will redo my TIM this weekend and see if there is any difference.

MX4 FTW.

Use a modified spread method myself... Start as thin as you can to make the best thermal connection.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

I usually do 4 small dots in a diagonal X shape

Error: 410

I usually do 4 small dots in a diagonal X shape

Trust you to be different.

Use a modified spread method myself... Start as thin as you can to make the best thermal connection.

Modified ?

I'm just thinking about all the air bubbles now.  What if my CPU just explodes man.

No air bubbles in the spread method - until the piece of plastic was lifted - that will cause a lot of air bubbles. Watch again during the initial spread... no air bubbles and perfectly even.

You also can not argue with my temps :) 53ºC under full load for 12 hours running Prime. i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz inside of a Silverstone FT03 chassis.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

I think LInus needs to revisit this. Which was is really best. 

@LinusTech please.

The way that I was shown to apply thermal paste comes from installing 400MHz RISC processors. Damn things ran so friggen hot. If the thermal paste was not spread just so... the cpu would fail. At over $2000 each - we could not afford to have failures.

1. Make sure the surface is very clean. Clean cloth and plenty of alcohol (rubbing not drinking ... that comes later)

2. small amount of thermal paste rubbed into the surface.

3. two strips of tape placed on either side of the processor. 1/8" or about 2mm of the tape should be on the suface of the CPU.

4. Make a line of thermal paste along one side

5. Using a straight edge spread the thermal paste across the surface of the cpu. The tape will act as a shim so that the remaining thermal paste is the same thickness as the cellophane tape.

6. remove the tape and install the heatsink.

This will ensure that the layer of thermal paste is not too thick and is spread evenly. 

I go for the sort of rice shaped method, so easy.

I used to spread it years ago and never had any issues, in fact my temps were usually better by about a degree, it didn't seem to work out that way for other people I knew doing it though.

I worked in car accident repair for 6 years so I think it had a lot to do with that, you become quite good at spreading (couldn't phrase that in a way that didn't invite innuendo :lol:).

No air bubbles in the spread method - until the piece of plastic was lifted - that will cause a lot of air bubbles. Watch again during the initial spread... no air bubbles and perfectly even.

the plastic wasn`t lifted he was still pushing it . so watch again.