8K 120Hz TV finally- Hisense’s 75-inch 8K TV launches with 120Hz refresh rate, ability to upscale content, more

avg123
4 hours ago, comander said:

If you're playing on an ancient GPU... 720p works.

all for the low price of 3200$

by the time gpus are back in stock then you can switch to 8k mode and have a display that should have only cost a few hundred bucks becuase cheaper ones will have existed already. yippe

2 hours ago, comander said:

1. I noted cost

2. Costs aren't going to decline that much (10x) unless you make serious trade offs on visual quality and processing... And even still. I could easily see 10-30% cost reductions each year but at -20% a year it'd take 10 years to hit the price target you listed. Chances are though it'll be 30%/yr and then decline to around 10%... That would extrapolate out more towards 15-20 years. 

yeah it took about 20 years for 4k tvs to go from 3200 to 500

16 hours ago, Ramon Triton said:

A bandwidth of 152.88 Gbps is required to drive 8k 120fps 8 bpc and HDMI 2.1 is 48 Gbps... So yeah, you'll need some exotic combination of cables or a new revision of HDMI to drive this.

On 8/26/2021 at 1:11 PM, tikker said:

Except I don't think we have a single port or cable that supports 8k 120 Hz do we? Looking at e.g. the local display cable page even HDMI 2.1 tops out at  4320p50, DP at  4320p85. The best would then be 4k 120 Hz upscaled to 8k (as the article says), which in my opinion defeats the point of 8k unless it's a good upscaling algorithm, like DLSS and the likes can do for 4k gaming.

Not really, this chart shows that 8k 120hz is possible with Display Stream Compression (DSC). Though I'm unsure whether DSC affects image quality.

image.png.70d1caeb4e939e3c99388dc68742a7bf.png

14 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Not really, this chart shows that 8k 120hz is possible with Display Stream Compression (DSC). Though I'm unsure whether DSC affects image quality.

VESA claims visually lossless compression, so yes it affects quality, but it shouldn't be noticeable. It sounds great if they can compress it by a factor 2-3 without visually losing quality. Given how close you'd have to be to reasonably sized 8k TVs to likely to be able to notice loss of detail at that resolution anyway I'd wager it's not really that big of a deal in the first place.

16 hours ago, comander said:

8k is 7680 x 4320

This maps to A LOT of different resolutions - 4K; 1440p; 1080p; 720p ALL divide evenly into it. 

These all map PIXEL PERFECT so there's virtually no downside in the short run, other than cost.

Hmm I didn't consider this. Time to retract my statement about not seeing a point in 8k. This is actually a pretty neat "feature".

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB