Sennheiser PC 350 SE - Setup Sugestions

Go to solution Solved by LancerBG,

I dont think anyone can give you "stats" on what your ears will hear. Just try it a few different ways and stick with what you like is really the only way to figure things out. Cant tell you how many audio variations I have been through just to figure out what's best for me. 

From my understanding I will need something to power these since my Z87 Sabertooth is ALC1150 and not some high end on-board and because the headset is 150 ohms.   Wanted to pair them with a Xonar Phoebus ROG since it would probably do the job from what I have read and because I only care about Gaming.

I have a $200 USD budget for sound.   I know people are recommending Amp/DACs these days (looked into FiiO E10/Schiit Magni+Modi) but I unsure if its worth while since I'm probably not going to care as long as it sounds decent/good.

Any suggestions for a setup or feedback would be welcomed since I'm not a 100% sure what to pair up this headset with.

I would recommend anything that isn't a "gaming" soundcard. Better off with a e10, just in case you ever want to upgrade.

Quick edit: See how they sound with your onboard, then invest in something if you aren't happy with the sound.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

Their impedance doesn't necessarily mean onboard wouldn't enough, as tryphaa said. Try first, then decide what you need.

I think your onboard is just fine. I have that headset and used it with onboard for a while and had no complaints. I now use a Denon DRA-N5 CEOL piccolo but only because I use good speakers and a headset so it makes customization and swapping audio sources soooo easy. why not stick with your onboard? 

I think your onboard is just fine. I have that headset and used it with onboard for a while and had no complaints. I now use a Denon DRA-N5 CEOL piccolo but only because I use good speakers and a headset so it makes customization and swapping audio sources soooo easy. why not stick with your onboard? 

Because audio is subjective.  And every other post about it suggests buying some  after thought of a sound device like a Amp/DAC or Soundcard.  But no one every provide Factual Stats comparing said items against each other.  I.E.  Onboard vs Soundcard vs. Amp/DAC unit.  They kind of just repeat what everyone else says without adding to the discussion or resolving anything.

anyway this is a preemptive thread to see if i would need something extra or gain a tangible benefit of adding something to the setup.

I dont think anyone can give you "stats" on what your ears will hear. Just try it a few different ways and stick with what you like is really the only way to figure things out. Cant tell you how many audio variations I have been through just to figure out what's best for me. 

Well you said "I'm probably not going to care as long as it sounds decent/good." As long as you have a relatively modern motherboard, it should be able to drive them. A good pair of headphones will sound good, there isn't really much more to it unless you're having interference problems or they're not loud enough via onboard.