Webull Linux Client

Anyone knows how to get Webull Linux Client to install on Fedora? See link below.

https://www.webull.com/introduce

Currently it supports debian based distros only. I don't think the app is open sourced otherwise I would just compiled it from source code.

This leaves me two options, use some hackery to unpacked the .deb installer file and get it to install on Fedora somehow or use wine to run the windows version. I would like to try the first option first. Anyone has any experience in doing this?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

55 minutes ago, wasab said:

This leaves me two options, use some hackery to unpacked the .deb installer file and get it to install on Fedora somehow or use wine to run the windows version. I would like to try the first option first. Anyone has any experience in doing this?

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/alien

sudo dnf install alien
alien --to-rpm somepackage.deb

Haven't used it myself, worth a shot.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

21 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/alien

sudo dnf install alien
alien --to-rpm somepackage.deb

Haven't used it myself, worth a shot.

does not work. However i have a good alternative. I just install it on a ubuntu machine, can be live usb or vm and then copy and past over the executable binary file to my fedora machine. Same underlying operating system, same cpu. no reason to not work. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

21 minutes ago, wasab said:

does not work. However i have a good alternative. I just install it on a ubuntu machine, can be live usb or vm and then copy and past over the executable binary file to my fedora machine. Same underlying operating system, same cpu. no reason to not work. 

Actually there are a few reasons it may not.

• Usually packages consist of more than a single executable
  • May depend on specific Directory paths, which can vary between distros.
  • Dependencies
  • Dependency versioning, This AUR page suggests you may need to downgrade NSS for example.

Alien should be able to convert it to a rpm for installation purposes.  if Alien fails, you can try using "ar x package.deb" and then extract data.tar to it's appropriate location. You will need to resolve dependencies and permissions on your own.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ee858d0ea3d12ff5eb8ef8a48a3054b6.png

14 minutes ago, wasab said:

Damn.

Even though the architecture is the same binaries are usually built against a wide range of shared libraries, using specific paths and other configuration settings that are unique to each distribution. 
Unless it is fairly simple and highly self contained I wouldn't expect a binary for one distro to just work on another distro...
That being said Webull doesn't look like a complicated piece of software, so it might just work, you'll have to try it out.

Kinda off-topic, but this piece of software looks like a perfect candidate for Snap / Flatpack approach. I would probably contact the developers and suggest that if I were you 🙂.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

On 8/25/2021 at 10:30 PM, Nayr438 said:

Actually there are a few reasons it may not.

• Usually packages consist of more than a single executable
  • May depend on specific Directory paths, which can vary between distros.
  • Dependencies
  • Dependency versioning, This AUR page suggests you may need to downgrade NSS for example.

Alien should be able to convert it to a rpm for installation purposes.  if Alien fails, you can try using "ar x package.deb" and then extract data.tar to it's appropriate location. You will need to resolve dependencies and permissions on your own.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.ee858d0ea3d12ff5eb8ef8a48a3054b6.png

yeah, you are right. same issues with dependencies and dynamic link libraries as the alien. 

Sudo make me a sandwich