Trying to OC my 5600x

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

200 PPT, 140 TDC, 180 EDC.

I couldn't find those in the BIOS, but they're in the Ryzen Master software. PPT is at 1000, TDC is 1000, and EDC is 180. Set them to what you suggested.

Running the multicore cinebench, Ryzen Master is now showing 48 watts instead of 61, and slightly cooler temps at 60c, but the clock speed is still 4.2.

Similar for single core. Lower temp, 5 watts less power, still at 4.2... except it seems to bounce between cores and they're typically in the 3.5 range.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

It's just nice to do the fan setup without having to restart the computer. The AI suite also lets me rename the fans with pictograms so I know which ones they are.

Its all good man. I would say just keep plugging away. I personally don't like to overclock in windows, but that's just a personal preference. If all else fails, just set your XMP and enjoy your machine.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

17 hours ago, freeagent said:

Its all good man. I would say just keep plugging away. I personally don't like to overclock in windows, but that's just a personal preference. If all else fails, just set your XMP and enjoy your machine.

I just can't understand why it won't boost when it's supposed to. I guess for all intents and purposes since I'm still stuck on an old GPU it doesn't matter as much since I'm GPU bound, but it would still be nice if it worked properly.

#Muricaparrotgang

I didn't spent a ton of time with it, but I couldn't overclock in windows like I could in bios. Software overclocking isn't very good imo. But I am old. I found changes I made in the bios would get changed by the software. Its shit. I have an old GPU too so don't feel bad.  980 is not horrible but the GTX 580 I have on my other machine has seen better days.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, JZStudios said:

I just can't understand why it won't boost when it's supposed to. I guess for all intents and purposes since I'm still stuck on an old GPU it doesn't matter as much since I'm GPU bound, but it would still be nice if it worked properly.

I'd start by uninstalling/disabling any software you might have that can affect anything CPU related. Then do a reset/load optimized defaults from the BIOS and see if it will boost as expected.

Something is definitely off based on what you've described. All the other posts are good with OC info, but it's irrelevant until you figure out why it's not working stock.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

11 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

I'd start by uninstalling/disabling any software you might have that can affect anything CPU related. Then do a reset/load optimized defaults from the BIOS and see if it will boost as expected.

Something is definitely off based on what you've described. All the other posts are good with OC info, but it's irrelevant until you figure out why it's not working stock.

The only thing I have is ryzen master. I can try that tomorrow though I guess.

#Muricaparrotgang