Trying to OC my 5600x

I have a b550 plus TUF that claims to have AI overclocking, though nothing from Asus actually confirms that. The bios itself doesn't have the AI OC info the websites say it should, but the option is clearly there in the bios. Trying to follow along with it, it doesn't seem to do anything. Also tried the AI suite overclocking button, which is also different from the websites example.

Currently, doing the stress test in prime 95 has task manager showing 100% CPU load on all cores at 4.18-4.2 ghz, which is the same as idle, and the temps are 40-50c. Just seems like something should be happening and should be getting more than base speed for an OC. I've switched Asus performance enhancement on and OC tuner to... OC tuner, but nothing seems to have changed,

unnamed.thumb.jpg.a7985a0e1a1051b360d6698cc09a1621.jpg

#Muricaparrotgang

if you want to overclock, start by turning on xmp for your ram, its at 2400mhz right now, target the dram freq to be twice the flck, thats the fastest way.

Then find pricision boost override 2.0 and turn it on, it will usually push cpus to 70c, it will even push some r5000 cpus past 5ghz

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Motherboard auto OC is mostly nonsense. At most, it just eases the power limits some, so that the CPU might potentially boost higher. You don't want to OC Zen 3, anyways. Undervolting with the curve optimizer is the way to go.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Undervolting with the curve optimizer is the way to go.

Dont forget pbo2 as well

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

if you want to overclock, start by turning on xmp for your ram, its at 2400mhz right now, target the dram freq to be twice the flck, thats the fastest way.

Then find pricision boost override 2.0 and turn it on, it will usually push cpus to 70c, it will even push some r5000 cpus past 5ghz

I don't really know what this means. My ram was pretty cheap, though I honestly don't remember what speed it actually is.

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

I don't really know what this means. My ram was pretty cheap, though I honestly don't remember what speed it actually is.

which part?

XMP will "overclock" the ram to rhe rated speed

flck is how amd manages memory for the cpu

Pricison boost overide is amds way of boosting HARD. It goes past the rated freq.

If you ram is less than 3200mhz, you need to upgrade it, ryzen cpus are much slower without fast ram

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

which part?

XMP will "overclock" the ram to rhe rated speed

flck is how amd manages memory for the cpu

Pricison boost overide is amds way of boosting HARD. It goes past the rated freq.

If you ram is less than 3200mhz, you need to upgrade it, ryzen cpus are much slower without fast ram

I took my ram out, it is 3200. I decided to just take some pics of the BIOS settings to make it easier.

I don't really see anything that says dram frequency, just voltage.

I found precision boost, but it has a lot of other settings.

20210822_171515.thumb.jpg.69b0499510b8eda42612c58520710d9a.jpg20210822_171459.thumb.jpg.b5fdbe4a5d6463c27e485ef7e46f438f.jpg20210822_171509.thumb.jpg.de2d212a2ca97e92cca2f80a9bc25169.jpg20210822_171436.thumb.jpg.28c7b31055e7aea84f4f924a88d91d3f.jpg

#Muricaparrotgang

22 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I don't really see anything that says dram frequency, just voltage.

Ok, you want 

CPU FLCK at 1600mhz, DOCP at 3200mhz cl16-18-18-32, PBO2 on, everything at stock right now

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

PBO2 on, everything at stock right now

Would that just be the PBO I have enabled in the last picture?

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Would that just be the PBO I have enabled in the last picture?

i think so.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

i think so.

Hmm. Doing prime95 for a few minutes nothing changed

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Hmm. Doing prime95 for a few minutes nothing changed

prime95 isnt a way to test cpu speed really, its a way to stress the cpu as hard as possible, its good for freq validation.

Run cinebench r20/r21 before and after and it will change (except for ram, that really matters less for cinebench, try somehing like 3d mark for that)

If your balssy up the memory voltage and soc voltage by like .1v, then try running the ram at 3400mhz cl16-16-16-32 by manual oc, flck at 1700mhz

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

prime95 isnt a way to test cpu speed really, its a way to stress the cpu as hard as possible, its good for freq validation.

Run cinebench r20/r21 before and after and it will change (except for ram, that really matters less for cinebench, try somehing like 3d mark for that)

If your balssy up the memory voltage and soc voltage by like .1v, then try running the ram at 3400mhz cl16-16-16-32 by manual oc, flck at 1700mhz

I also have AI suite 3, and that lets me turn up the CPU clock, otherwise it seems to sit at 4.2. bumping that up to 4.3 my CPU is still sitting at 55c

#Muricaparrotgang

29 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I also have AI suite 3, and that lets me turn up the CPU clock, otherwise it seems to sit at 4.2. bumping that up to 4.3 my CPU is still sitting at 55c

If you're looking to boost your CPU core speeds, look at this video from Optimum Tech on setting up PBO properly and using the Curve Optimizer feature:

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

If you're looking to boost your CPU core speeds, look at this video from Optimum Tech on setting up PBO properly and using the Curve Optimizer feature:

So how do you know if your CPU is actually boosting? I've read Ryzen only boosts one or two cores, but task manager always shows it at 4.18-4.2 when it should go to 4.6.

#Muricaparrotgang

So how do you know if your CPU is actually boosting? I've read Ryzen only boosts one or two cores, but task manager always shows it at 4.18-4.2 when it should go to 4.6.

Ryzen Master. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Ryzen Master. 

At what point can you stop downloading things to do basic stuff? I have Afterburner for my GPU, AI suite for fans and maybe CPU, and now that also for CPU?

#Muricaparrotgang

At what point can you stop downloading things to do basic stuff? I have Afterburner for my GPU, AI suite for fans and maybe CPU, and now that also for CPU?

Ryzen Master is the best tool to measure how your CPU is performing with AMD Ryzen CPUs while tweaking settings. Once you get it dialed in, you can uninstall Ryzen Master or not open it.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Ryzen Master is the best tool to measure how your CPU is performing with AMD Ryzen CPUs while tweaking settings. Once you get it dialed in, you can uninstall Ryzen Master or not open it.

How does it manage that? Does it save settings in the bios?

At this point, since everything I've done in the bios didn't seem to make much difference I'm wondering if the AI suite is overriding the bios, but it doesn't have all the functionality.

#Muricaparrotgang

How does it manage that? Does it save settings in the bios?

At this point, since everything I've done in the bios didn't seem to make much difference I'm wondering if the AI suite is overriding the bios, but it doesn't have all the functionality.

Yes, you set it all in the BIOS. Ryzen Master is the best tool to effectively monitor your actual clock speeds of the individual cores as well as things like power, temps etc. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

16 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I followed what the guy did in the video, but my max clock stayed the same and the multicore cinebench score went from 11564 to 10717 with the CPU still sitting at 62c. I don't know if that drop is within margin of error, I never used cinebench before. I didn't check what my CPU draw was before, it was ~61 watts now.

It doesn't seem like it really did anything at all.

I then ran the single core test, and it's running the 2nd fastest core according to Ryzen Master, and it's still capped at 4.2, but primarily sits at ~3.5. I don't know why the boost just flat-out isn't working.

#Muricaparrotgang

In the AMD Advanced Overclocking section, not AI Tweaker..

Try..

200 PPT, 140 TDC, 180 EDC. Boost +200, Curve Optimizer all core, -30. Don't touch any other CPU offsets. Enable Asus Performance Enhancement. Save and exit.

Uninstall Ryzen Master. You don't need that where you're going. Or don't.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

In the AMD Advanced Overclocking section, not AI Tweaker..

Try..

200 PPT, 140 TDC, 180 EDC. Boost +200, Curve Optimizer all core, -30. Don't touch any other CPU offsets. Enable Asus Performance Enhancement. Save and exit.

Uninstall Ryzen Master. You don't need that where you're going. Or don't.

I disabled AI tweaker so it's not starting on boot anymore. I only wanted it for the fan tweaking since speed fan is a pain to set up, but it might be overriding my CPU settings, I'm not sure.

#Muricaparrotgang

I don't use windows to overclock or set fan speeds, I just use the bios.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

5 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I don't use windows to overclock or set fan speeds, I just use the bios.

It's just nice to do the fan setup without having to restart the computer. The AI suite also lets me rename the fans with pictograms so I know which ones they are.

#Muricaparrotgang