Mechanical keyboards (1): layout customization? Mechanical switch producer?

Hello everyone,

I started this new topic since I gave back my G910 Logitech with romer G switches and a left set of functional keys (right after TAB, Caplock etc,), and started looking around for new options.

For now I stick with my Logitech K120 (<10€) office keyboard that is more than enough for now and serves the purpose of reserve, so I have time to choose the next main keyboard.

My current setup

IMG_20210821_094219.thumb.jpg.cf6426394e678f768507635fad25530a.jpg

• My personal laptop on the right, an old glorious MSI GE60, sitting with its bottom opened on a Cooler Master Notepal XL
  • My working laptop on the left, a Thinkpad E480 sitting on a Cooler Master Notpeal 3,
  • An AOC 24'' 
  • an AIMOS SWITCH HDMI KVM so that I can link main screen, mouse and keyboard on the "active" computer with a switch.

My usual activity

• Coding: on a daily base I am (or try to be) an IT consultant:
    • sometimes I code (python or C#), sometimes I use SQL so having stuff that allow you to do quick selections (like Ctrl+End) is handy, and I like having F5 and F10 separate from numeric keys
  • Studying:
    • I usually had to use R, Python and Latex so I was considering adopting left lateral keys for macros
  • Typing
    • I seldom use the right numeric keyboard to type special characters like "«" or "»" (ALT+0171/0187), "~" (ALT+196). I never could do this with the top line of numbers above the QWERTY zone.
  • Gaming (sadly, not so much lately and not competitive) 
    • I don't have a powerful pc (maybe I'll be able to take a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro this year), but I don't have much time for games, so I seldom play at Warframe, Hades or MtG arena right now, Again I used the left lateral keys (G1, G2... G) for customized commands.
  • Media control
    • I liked to have volume control right on the keyboard, but I survived before

My need is then for a keyboard that is robust, that allows to code, study and game, that can be linked to the switch so I can use it both from personal and work computer.

Note: I also have the Logitech K780, that allows to switch between three BlueTooth devices, but I cannot connect it to my two pc at the same time (switching from one to another).

My first initial look was towards the G915, since it's wireless, good looking, still has addressable RGB, and more modest lateral frame (I don't have much space) than the G910 used to have.

Given the price though, I started considering smaller form factors: there's the option of G915 of the TKL, but I'd lose the left side buttons.

I started looking at other keyboards, like the Glorious GMMK, YUNZII, KEYCHRON, VERMILO etc. 

Aside from the price (in certain cases it's too high, like the GMMK) I noticed that when you go for smaller sizes, there's almost no chance to have left side set of custom buttons. 

My questions

I'd like to know: is there a layout like a 75% keyboard like this but with a left set of buttons like the G910? 

If not, what would you suggest to do? Are there "budget" solutions for left side numerical keypads that I can customize?

Hello everyone,

I'm choosing a new keyboard but I wanted to decide which kind of feedback I want. I used to have a G910 Logitech, but now I was considering other keyboards: the G915, for instance, or the Yunzii, Keychron and so on.

At first I thought, that I might buy a switch tester to decide whether to go clicky, linear or tactile, but then I noticed that there are more options.

Not only there are Blue, Red and Brown Cherry MX, but also other companies like Gateron, Kailh, Akko and many others which offer these three options and a number of other peculiar ones. 

For instance, Kailh offers blue and pink, Gateron offers yello, green, white, black and so on.

So it's getting more confusing by the minute. Also, there are big testers that include a lot of switches, so maybe I could compare Cherry MX brown vs Gateron MX brown, but these switches are very expensive.

For instance, this tester costs around 14€  for 12 switches, but this other one includes 72 switches (from Cherry, Gateron and Kailh) and costs 112€!

It's the cost of a decent keyboard already. 

I'm here to ask advices: are there many differences between switches of the same color but from two different producers? (like Kailh RED vs Gateron RED or Cherry Blue vs Gateron Blue)? If so, what's this big difference? Quality? Sound? Friction? What's your experience in this?

3 hours ago, TheEntertainer said:

I'm here to ask advices: are there many differences between switches of the same color but from two different producers? (like Kailh RED vs Gateron RED or Cherry Blue vs Gateron Blue)? If so, what's this big difference? Quality? Sound? Friction? What's your experience in this?

Yes there is a lot of difference between let's say cherry brown and kailh brown... the kailh will feel a bit heavier with a stronger tactile bump and smooter than the cherry ones.  I know cause I have board with both those switches. 

A switch tester is a nice way to get started but after you choose which switches you want you'll be stuck with it unless you are able to sell it. 

You should get something hotswappable like the gmmk, keychron (depending of the layout you want it can come hotswappable) and such and just test the switches by getting a kit ... The board being hotswappable will allow you try a lot a switches without changing the board completely or desoldering and soldering back.  It will also allow you to change or lube the stabilizers easily and do some maintenance and modifications which is a big big plus imo. 

you can look at akko switches, they are really not expensive and quite good quality for their price.  The gateron yellow is really nice linear that is quite smooth and usually really inexpensive.  If you want to try some actually good clicky go for kailh box white, jade or navy ... they use a clickbar which provides a really crisp click and sharp tactility ... the usually used click jacket in something like the blue kind of make the switch sound rattly and the feeling is just meh ... I didn't like clicky until I tried the kailh box white and navy.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

you could just get the layout you want and make yourself a macro pad that you can place about anywhere you want on your desk.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

*** Threads merged ***

Please use one thread for questions that are so closely related to each other. As usually also answers are related.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Threads merged ***

Please use one thread for questions that are so closely related to each other. As usually also answers are related.

Aw ok, since I was talking about layout  and switches I thought they would be considered on different topics. Sorry for the mess.

3 hours ago, Dr0y said:

Yes there is a lot of difference between let's say cherry brown and kailh brown... the kailh will feel a bit heavier with a stronger tactile bump and smooter than the cherry ones.  I know cause I have board with both those switches. 

So maybe the best course of action is try a tester with Gateron to decide whether go clicky or tactile or linear, and then chose among different producers...

40 minutes ago, TheEntertainer said:

Aw ok, since I was talking about layout  and switches I thought they would be considered on different topics. Sorry for the mess.

You are buying new keyboard and asking questions related to that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, TheEntertainer said:

My usual activity

• Coding: on a daily base I am (or try to be) an IT consultant:
    • sometimes I code (python or C#), sometimes I use SQL so having stuff that allow you to do quick selections (like Ctrl+End) is handy, and I like having F5 and F10 separate from numeric keys
  • Studying:
    • I usually had to use R, Python and Latex so I was considering adopting left lateral keys for macros
  • Typing
    • I seldom use the right numeric keyboard to type special characters like "«" or "»" (ALT+0171/0187), "~" (ALT+196). I never could do this with the top line of numbers above the QWERTY zone.
  • Gaming (sadly, not so much lately and not competitive) 
    • I don't have a powerful pc (maybe I'll be able to take a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro this year), but I don't have much time for games, so I seldom play at Warframe, Hades or MtG arena right now, Again I used the left lateral keys (G1, G2... G) for customized commands.
  • Media control
    • I liked to have volume control right on the keyboard, but I survived before

I use a 60% for all of these. So it's really a basis on which to pick a layout.  

If you really must have a number pad just buy a separate one.  

14 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Threads merged ***

... also, is it possible to change the title to include thesecond question about switches?

1 hour ago, TheEntertainer said:

... also, is it possible to change the title to include thesecond question about switches?

You can edit all your posts and titles. Editing gets disabled once thread is locked by moderator.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv