Are fan hubs the most fool-proof solution for mobos with too little fan headers?

Laytony

Looking to finally break out of my molex fans after years of service for P12/P14 pwm fans but my mobo only has 2 regular fan headers. It's an older budget board B350M (msi gaming pro), so IDK if it's a good idea to draw more power from it. It'll just be a simple x5 120mm or x2 120 and x2 140 setup.

I'm looking at getting the Deepcool FH-10 because everything else seems to be plagued with one-star reviews in the front page.

You can get powered fan splitters that'll carry a PWM signal to multiple fans from the the header and power the fans via a molex or sata connector.

For example:  https://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=AK-CB002

or...

https://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Cables&type_sub=Fan Cable Adapters&model=AK-CBFA07-45

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

only if it connect to a fan header and your PSU. if it only connects to the PSU then you will have no control and if it only connects to the mother board then it can draw to much power from the header and burn something out.

2 minutes ago, CWALD said:

only if it connect to a fan header and your PSU. if it only connects to the PSU then you will have no control and if it only connects to the mother board then it can draw to much power from the header and burn something out.

That seems to be the case for the Deepcool FH-10?

1 minute ago, Laytony said:

That would work. 

Although if you are only plugging 3-4 fans in per header then @GuruMeditationErrorhas the cheaper solution, more then that and you risk pulling to much power again.

3 minutes ago, Laytony said:

That seems like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut and running a cursory search it seems it has build quality issues and might be prone to failure. Personally I'd just go with a powered fan splitter...it's cheaper, simpler and more reliable.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

14 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

That seems like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut and running a cursory search it seems it has build quality issues and might be prone to failure. Personally I'd just go with a powered fan splitter...it's cheaper, simpler and more reliable.

Powered fan splitters are a bit of a hard find for me on Amazon. I've only found this and this. I also found this but isn't that basically just a fan hub without the plastic enclosure lol?

14 minutes ago, Laytony said:

Powered fan splitters are a bit of a hard find for me on Amazon. I've only found this and this. I also found this but isn't that basically just a fan hub without the plastic enclosure lol?

I've got one of the Gelid splitters you linked to and it works fine, as long as you have a molex socket to plug it into, although it doesn't extend as far as the Akasa splitter.

I've never used a fan hub so can't really comment on that?