Freezing while Gaming

Carnage1
Go to solution Solved by DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly,
8 minutes ago, Carnage1 said:

Thats what shows up in NZXT CAM about my RAM if thats any use

RAM.PNG

Those are some really weird numbers next to Clock Speeds but i'm not familiar with NZXT software so i dont know what are they actually referring to. If you 3000mhz RAM it should be 1500mhz default speed. But i might be misunderstanding something here.

Anyway, not sure how to help you more but to summarize i would first roll out issue with software so firstly i would do a fresh clean gpu driver install using DDU ( Look for it on google, it is a tool to completely wipe your gpu drivers for a fresh install ) . If that doesnt do it i would then do a clean windows install . If none of that helps i would then procced in testing your card in a different system. If it is the card it will behave same in a different PC as well. It it does work well then it must be something else in your system .

Or maybe some other smarter person comes and helps you out 😄 I'm not a tech magician myself, just a fairly average user.

Best of luck.

Recently I experiencing some freezing while playing some heavier usage (Gta, fivem, Call of duty). ive been told it could either could be a few things from my CPU, Ram, GPU or my Hard drives. Is there a way I narrow that down more so I don't waste my money on parts that I don't need.

My current setup:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x

Mobo: B450-A Pro

Ram: 2x8gb 3000MHz

GPU: Gtx 1650

First of all you should monitor your temperatures. 

One of the components could be simply overheating.

Also clarify what do you mean by 'freezing' ? Does the game freeze,crash or do you need to hard reset whole system? 

GPU : RTX 3070 Gaming X TRIO | CPU : Ryzen 5 7600 \ COOLER : Deepcool AK620 | MOBO : ASUS TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 16GBx2 6200 MHz \ Storage : Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB \ PSU : Corsair TX750M | CASE : Be Quite! Pure Base 500DX Black

1 minute ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

First of all you should monitor your temperatures. 

One of the components could be simply overheating.

Also clarify what do you mean by 'freezing' ? Does the game freeze,crash or do you need to hard reset whole system? 

Ill do that now and what I meant was, it seems to be only those games but it will freeze for a few secs, and then go back to normal for a few secs, and just continues to do that on repeat

4 minutes ago, Carnage1 said:

Ill do that now and what I meant was, it seems to be only those games but it will freeze for a few secs, and then go back to normal for a few secs, and just continues to do that on repeat

So a hard 'stutter' . Yeah , i would first and foremost check the temps. Your GPU and/or CPU could simply be overheating and downclocking causing your game to stutter around.

There could be other issues ofc. But this one is easiest to check .

GPU : RTX 3070 Gaming X TRIO | CPU : Ryzen 5 7600 \ COOLER : Deepcool AK620 | MOBO : ASUS TUF Gaming B650 Plus | RAM : Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 16GBx2 6200 MHz \ Storage : Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB \ PSU : Corsair TX750M | CASE : Be Quite! Pure Base 500DX Black

30 minutes ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

So a hard 'stutter' . Yeah , i would first and foremost check the temps. Your GPU and/or CPU could simply be overheating and downclocking causing your game to stutter around.

There could be other issues ofc. But this one is easiest to check .

so I ran the game for a bit, the moment I started it I was getting the 'stutters' but the gpu and CPU usage never went over 60% and both temps stayed at about 40-50 the whole time.

My ram tho, was sitting at like 70-89% load, if that means anything

5 minutes ago, Carnage1 said:

so I ran the game for a bit, the moment I started it I was getting the 'stutters' but the gpu and CPU usage never went over 60% and both temps stayed at about 40-50 the whole time.

My ram tho, was sitting at like 70-89% load, if that means anything

Hmm. First of all 60% usage for CPU while gaming is really high while 60% of usage for GPU while gaming is very very low so you are having some bottlenecking happening .

By RAM load you mean that 70-89% of system RAM as in usage? In other words out of16gb you had like 13-14gb used? 

2 minutes ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

Hmm. First of all 60% usage for CPU while gaming is really high while 60% of usage for GPU while gaming is very very low so you are having some bottlenecking happening .

By RAM load you mean that 70-89% of system RAM as in usage? In other words out of16gb you had like 13-14gb used? 

interesting, is the a way to fix the bottlenecking or would that mean I need to replace a part?

and I'm not too sure, I'm using NZXT CAM to monitor everything on and just says load size, it doesn't have an amount.

Just now, Carnage1 said:

interesting, is the a way to fix the bottlenecking or would that mean I need to replace a part?

and I'm not too sure, I'm using NZXT CAM to monitor everything on and just says load size, it doesn't have an amount.

Bottlenecking means that one of your component is not letting rest of system to perform at their peek.

Let's investigate that RAM thing a bit more.

Does your system see all 16gb RAM and do they run at their 3000mhz speed? You can check that in BIOS . Because using like 90% of 16gb RAM you need to be doing some video editing or other intensive tasks. Gaming usually doesnt use more than 10GB so 90% usage of 16Gb seems suspiciuos.

3 minutes ago, Carnage1 said:

I don't think you have a bottleneck issue. 60% CPU usage doesn't sound too high and 60% GPU usage doesn't sound to low. It depends on the game. What GPU and CPU do you have and what games have you seen this on? (If you don't mind me asking)

Edit: Never mind, you should be getting high Usage on these heavy games assuming your framerate is not capped. Sorry about that.  Is your framerate capped?

Just now, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

Bottlenecking means that one of your component lacking behind and is not letting rest of system to perform at their peek.

Does your system see all 16gb RAM and do they run at their 3000mhz speed? You can check that in BIOS . Because using like 90% of 16gb RAM you need to be doing some video editing or other intensive tasks. Gaming usually doesnt use more than 10GB so 90% usage of 16Gb seems suspiciuos.

6 minutes ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

Bottlenecking means that one of your component is not letting rest of system to perform at their peek.

So I opened up the game again and its using 79% or 12gb of my ram(that info I got from task manager) and i was mistaken about the usage of the GPU and CPU there seem to be sitting low like 30-40% and bouncing to 60% when the 'stutters' are happening.

4 minutes ago, afaq0 said:

I don't think you have a bottleneck issue. 60% CPU usage doesn't sound too high and 60% GPU usage doesn't sound to low. It depends on the game. What GPU and CPU do you have and what games have you seen this on? (If you don't mind me asking)

I'm using a gtx1650 and a 2600x, the games are gta5, fivem and cold war

5 minutes ago, Carnage1 said:

So I opened up the game again and its using 79% or 12gb of my ram and my HDD is bouncing from 30-100% (that info I got from task manager) and i was mistaken about the usage of the GPU and CPU there seem to be sitting low like 30-40% and bouncing to 60% when the 'stutters' are happening.

Hmm..

Well , 30-40 for CPU is then kind of normal , but your GPU should be at 99% all the time . Especially in such heavy titles. If your GPU is sitting at like 40% utilization it means that it is pretty much doing nothing and your game might be stuttering like crazy because of that.

Also if your system is using 12gb it means that is is seeing all the 16gb so RAM is fine. 12gb is a lot to be used, but maybe system is somehow overcompensating because of low GPU usage ( this is out of bounds of my knowledge ) . 

Now , the question is why's GPU so underutilized..

Erhm, silly suggestion but did you try to reinstall/install newest drivers available? For the GPU.

1 minute ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

This could be because their framerate is capped or resolution is lower. @Carnage1Is this the case?

5 minutes ago, afaq0 said:

This could be because their framerate is capped or resolution is lower. @Carnage1Is this the case?

Well i cant imagine 1650 sitting at 40% utilization in game like COD Cold War by itself . Unless he's playing at 720p with 30 fps lock. It should be giving its all and still massively lacking in performance.

3 minutes ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

Well i cant imagine 1650 sitting at 40% utilization in game like COD Cold War by itself . Unless he's playing at 720p with 30 fps lock. It should be giving its all and still massively lacking in performance.

7 minutes ago, afaq0 said:

I havent capped anything myself, so unless the game has defaulted to that, everything should be the way I had it when it was working

11 minutes ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

Hmm..

Well , 30-40 for CPU is then kind of normal , but your GPU should be at 99% all the time . Especially in such heavy titles. If your GPU is sitting at like 40% utilization it means that it is pretty much doing nothing and your game might be stuttering like crazy because of that.

Also if your system is using 12gb it means that is is seeing all the 16gb so RAM is fine. 12gb is a lot to be used, but maybe system is somehow overcompensating because of low GPU usage ( this is out of bounds of my knowledge ) . 

Erhm, silly suggestion but did you try to reinstall/install newest drivers available? For the GPU.

and I tried to install drivers but it said everything was up to date

3 minutes ago, Carnage1 said:

and I tried to install drivers but it said everything was up to date

By a chance did any of this started AFTER your installed newer driver version? Because to me ( i could be wrong ofc ) it look likes issue with low GPU usage. Now why is it at such low usage is a thing i dont know.

Could be as simple as reinstalling the drivers , or could be something actually wrong with the card.

If you have an option to throw a different GPU into your system or throw your GPU into a different system and see how is it doing there that could hold an answer.

Just now, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

By a chance did any of this started AFTER your installed newer driver version? Because to me ( i could be wrong ofc ) it look likes issue with low GPU usage. Now why is it at such low usage is a thing i dont know.

Could be as simple as reinstalling the drivers , or could be something actually wrong with the card.

it just randomly started to happen, it was working one night and the next I ran into this issue, the only reason i thought to update the drivers was cause of this issue

8 minutes ago, Carnage1 said:

Thats what shows up in NZXT CAM about my RAM if thats any use

RAM.PNG

Those are some really weird numbers next to Clock Speeds but i'm not familiar with NZXT software so i dont know what are they actually referring to. If you 3000mhz RAM it should be 1500mhz default speed. But i might be misunderstanding something here.

Anyway, not sure how to help you more but to summarize i would first roll out issue with software so firstly i would do a fresh clean gpu driver install using DDU ( Look for it on google, it is a tool to completely wipe your gpu drivers for a fresh install ) . If that doesnt do it i would then do a clean windows install . If none of that helps i would then procced in testing your card in a different system. If it is the card it will behave same in a different PC as well. It it does work well then it must be something else in your system .

Or maybe some other smarter person comes and helps you out 😄 I'm not a tech magician myself, just a fairly average user.

Best of luck.

9 minutes ago, DontBeSillyWrapYourWilly said:

Best of luck.

you have been a great help so far, thank you.