Trying to flash a new graphics card BIOS

Donut Dan

How do I flash an RX 560 BIOS onto my RX 570? It's defective so it needs a power limit put on it, and radeon software won't cut it. I tried ATIflash, but it says "SubsystemID mismatch" unless I am flashing another gigabyte BIOS onto the card. I tried using this guide:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/

but I am getting an error message:

image.png.03b89f0600fd6954f35afb57cb579e36.png

if there is an alternative to flashing, like a really basic BIOS mod, I am also open to that.

Reason radeon software won't work: it used to, but now it fails to open, sometimes I get the error message that drivers don't load properly, and it doesn't seem to be correctly applying my underclock settings.

Trash beauty:

CPU: Xeon X5550

GPU: RX 570 4GB (defective)

SSD: Fattydove Racing 240GB

HDD: WD Blue 320GB

Motherboard: HP Z400

Ram: 6x2GB DDR3 1066

PSU: Corsair TX650

That is the wrong way of going about your issue. What is the problem with using MSI Afterburner/AMD's own crap to set a reduced power limit? What exactly is the issue you are facing?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, Donut Dan said:

How do I flash an RX 560 BIOS onto my RX 570? It's defective so it needs a power limit put on it, and radeon software won't cut it. I tried ATIflash, but it says "SubsystemID mismatch" unless I am flashing another gigabyte BIOS onto the card. I tried using this guide:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/

but I am getting an error message:

image.png.03b89f0600fd6954f35afb57cb579e36.png

if there is an alternative to flashing, like a really basic BIOS mod, I am also open to that.

Reason radeon software won't work: it used to, but now it fails to open, sometimes I get the error message that drivers don't load properly, and it doesn't seem to be correctly applying my underclock settings.

Not sure what you're trying to do. But to get ATI flash to run, you need to run as administration. Right click.

1 hour ago, Levent said:

That is the wrong way of going about your issue. What is the problem with using MSI Afterburner/AMD's own crap to set a reduced power limit? What exactly is the issue you are facing?

So strange. I was about to let you know that MSI afterburner's values are greyed out and can't be changed, which I kept trying to overcome over and over again, but as soon as I opened the app once again to share a screenshot, it is now as expected!

I will try to get this to work, but the problem with software (insofar as the AMD radeon software for OC) it does not seem to be appropriately applying my settings and the card still crashes. I will quote you if MSI afterburner fails. Still, I would love a software free, more permanent solution in the form of a BIOS alteration for any future contingencies, out of convenience.

Trash beauty:

52 minutes ago, c00face said:

Not sure what you're trying to do. But to get ATI flash to run, you need to run as administration. Right click.

I want to flash a BIOS from a weaker card (RX 560 for example) onto my RX 570 to improve stability. I was running ATIflash as administrator, for shore.

Trash beauty:

7 minutes ago, Donut Dan said:

So strange. I was about to let you know that MSI afterburner's values are greyed out and can't be changed, which I kept trying to overcome over and over again, but as soon as I opened the app once again to share a screenshot, it is now as expected!

I will try to get this to work, but the problem with software (insofar as the AMD radeon software for OC) it does not seem to be appropriately applying my settings and the card still crashes. I will quote you if MSI afterburner fails. Still, I would love a software free, more permanent solution in the form of a BIOS alteration for any future contingencies, out of convenience.

If your card is still crashing with lower TDP set in software, I would not expect a modded bios to fix your issues. I also dont think flashing a RX560 bios to a RX570 bios possible due to differences in GPU core level. You can technically force flash it but if you have no ways of recovering the card, that is not something I would recommend. If you want to brick your card, you can use -f parameter with atiwinflash in command prompt. Full parameters are listed in the thread you linked. Obviously dont use GUI.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 hours ago, Levent said:

If your card is still crashing with lower TDP set in software, I would not expect a modded bios to fix your issues. I also dont think flashing a RX560 bios to a RX570 bios possible due to differences in GPU core level. You can technically force flash it but if you have no ways of recovering the card, that is not something I would recommend. If you want to brick your card, you can use -f parameter with atiwinflash in command prompt. Full parameters are listed in the thread you linked. Obviously dont use GUI.

I was hoping that the lower core count would make up for the hardware issues in some fashion (maybe disengage the bad pipelines if I was super lucky). But since the larger problem is with the vram, I don't think it was a perfect plan. I do have a way of recovering the system because I have a loaner Quadro P620 that I have been using to attempt getting the card to behave properly. Mostly a matter of setting the performance the way I like it and stress testing, so I was confident with whatever BIOS modding I did could be undone.

so strange but now software is doing what I want, after starting this thread!

Trash beauty: