Would the xeon e5-2678 v3 be a decent upgrade over a overclocked 3770k?

I found a mobo+ram+cpu combo on aliexpress, and i wanted to know if the xeon would perform better than my 3770k overclocked allcore to 3.4 gigahertz. I plan on doing some occasional gaming and mostly just developing and multitasking..

The E5-2678 v3 is a much faster CPU than the 3770K, however it depends on your usage. Xeons aren't made to be used for tasks used by the normal user, they're made for server-like tasks. 

It might be very good for developing and multitasking, but would most probably suck at gaming. 

You can get a cheap LGA1155 motherboard to run a second rig with your 3770K for gaming. 

But why don't you just save the money and go for a Ryzen 5 or an earlier Ryzen 7 with a B450/B550 motherboard? I'm sure it's not that much more expensive. 

I found a xeon combo for $224 with a mobo an 16 gigs of memory.

For gaming it's like FAR worse. Generic development and multi tasking the xeon isn't better at than a i7. What these xeons are used for is running many vms or complex multithreaded long tasks. I don't think your usecase meets either so it would be a downgrade.

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

First gen ryzen really shouldn't be gotten any more.

The one I linked is the 12nm version which is similar to the 2600X. 

Based on the money he was going to spend, he has the flexibility to upgrade to a 5600X if he ever wants to while still having a decent upgrade over his 3770K 

1 hour ago, AvoK95 said:

The one I linked is the 12nm version which is similar to the 2600X. 

Based on the money he was going to spend, he has the flexibility to upgrade to a 5600X if he ever wants to while still having a decent upgrade over his 3770K 

Oh ok tha 1600af so a ryzen 2600. Fair enough that is the better upgrade here for similar money I do highly disagree on the board chosen because it's just crap but I get why since limited budget. Also single channel ram is a BIG NO for ryzen at least go 2x8gb sticks at 3000mhz.

But op has to answer first with a budget.

Either way the xeon will be a waste as it offers basically no benefit for op.

So I am using one currently for my home lab server.

2.5ghz base, 3.3ghz boost. Works great for my use case (mainly virtualisation, running esxi). 

I did do a Cinebench R20 run on it to use as a comparison point. It scored 3842.

So a good CPU for the price for workloads. As it is on the X99 HEDT platform, the extra PCIE lanes and quad channel memory can also be of assistance.

For gaming though you would get better results out of your 3770. So it really depends on where your focus is. If you are prepared to sacrifice gaming performance for workload performance, its a good deal. 

With the Ryzen recommendations others have made, in my opinion they would be better all round solutions. They will game much better and give you a few extra cores for workloads. As always it comes down to your use case.