Using a PC in another room through an Ethernet connected hub.

noideafoo

Can I use my PC (standing in a basement) from my room (1st floor, about 20m cable) through some kind of usb hub without running any more cables? Ethernet in my walls is class 5, I need at least 2 4k and 2k monitors, mouse and keyboard, camera and usb microphone, high quality speakers and a few usb ports for some external drives or a gamepad. The build would be for general use, some gaming and media consumption.

A single Cat5e cable is limited to around 5Gbps of bandwidth, what you have listed is going to require at least 10x that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Alright, lets say I can get fiberoptics, any suggestions what kind of gear to use? What hub or network card if I need one at all?

3 minutes ago, noideafoo said:

Alright, lets say I can get fiberoptics, any suggestions what kind of gear to use? What hub or network card if I need one at all?

A thunderbolt 3 dock is about all I can think of and even then it might not be able to support everything you want but it's similar to what Linus did a while back with how he ran everything from his server closet to a dock on his desk over TB3.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

How about two thunderbolt cables? Also do you know how many fiber lines would I need for a single TB3 connection?

38 minutes ago, noideafoo said:

How about two thunderbolt cables? Also do you know how many fiber lines would I need for a single TB3 connection?

You'll need special TB3 cables iirc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Can't I use a standard fiberoptic, weld it together on both sides and use some kind of media converter?

13 minutes ago, noideafoo said:

Can't I use a standard fiberoptic, weld it together on both sides and use some kind of media converter?

No, that's not how it works.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Very well then... I shall go and spend 800$ on cables. Thank you for your kind assistance good sir.

Unless someone has a better option perhaps...?

You can absolutely do RDP and remote sessions over Network. even 1gbps. 

Heck, most of the enterprise world is already doing this

There are some caveats:

1. Performance. It's not Terrible when wired, but there maybe some perceivable lag depending on what you're doing.

2. Gaming IS POSSIBLE. at 1080p via Steam Home streaming. It works, and I use it. However, see point 1.

3. Basic desktop support can be done via Microsoft built in RDP protocols. It can spport multiple displays at 4k. And it should be OK for regular desktop use cases over wired lan (as long as you're not saturating the link with anything else really)

4. this is all predicated that you have a Thin client of some sort that you're directly working on that can also handle the above. 

Most of the other posts are correct that you're probably more looking for some means to extend an existing computers peripherals to another room. Ther'es no easy way to do this and no cheap way either. There are also length limits to a lot of the super high bandwidth technologies like Thunderbolt. So you have to plan that as well if you want to just string TB3 cables.

Linus's old house had a setup like this. The "server room" was in a closet / attic and his and his wife only had a break out box and wires in the room they actually worked in.

Unfortunately other than buying long enough high speed thunderbolt/USB, or going down the TCP based method. there's really not a lot of options for this sort of remote session based computer

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.