Questions from a programmer noob to you, what is best ...?

HashedCode

Hi! first of all, thanks for reading, I've been looking to upgrade my ancient 23" samsung 1080P curved monitor for work to a new monitor, but I have so many questions that I don't know how to answer and I would love to have an expert answering this questions:

-I have like $1.000-$1.200 budget so it would be somewhat high end, should I got for 1 ultrawide or 2 monitors?

- Should I go for OLED or VA-IPS panels are good enough?

-4k or 1440p? I would like for it to be 30-40" so I don't know if it would be a difference

-I don't game as much besides casual league or valorant, so I don't really care about Hz at all, I rather prefer high quality over speed, should I still care?

-If I don't game, my amd 480 will be enough to drive it? as I said, just league and valorant and youtube / coding

What monitor would you recommend with those criteria? 

Thanks in advance guys, you are awesome ❤️

Here is what I always do at work.

Get 2 good 24" Monitors, use one horizontally and one vertically.

You can use the horizontally for tasks like browsing, looking at ci, git, monitoring etc.

And the vertically can be used for coding.

Its really nice to use them this way

I have a 4k 43" TV that I use as a monitor daily, it's amazing to work with since I have tons of screen real estate to have multiple text editors + terminals + browser + slack open at once. Mine is a really cheap one tho, since I do not care about colors or anything past 60Hz and rarely ever play any games.

26 minutes ago, HashedCode said:

-I have like $1.000-$1.200 budget so it would be somewhat high end, should I got for 1 ultrawide or 2 monitors?

I'd say to go with a single 4k, 16:9 display, or even a 5k one.

27 minutes ago, HashedCode said:

OLED looks cool, but since you'll have tons of static content for HOURS then the likelihood of burn-it is way too high IMO. Go for a IPS one.

28 minutes ago, HashedCode said:

-4k or 1440p? I would like for it to be 30-40" so I don't know if it would be a difference

1440p for 32" and bellow, 4k if higher. It also depends on your distance from the monitor tho.

28 minutes ago, HashedCode said:

-I don't game as much besides casual league or valorant, so I don't really care about Hz at all, I rather prefer high quality over speed, should I still care?

I personally don't mind about high refresh rates at all. My brother has a 165hz monitor and I find it to be a gimmick (but I also don't play any competitive games).

29 minutes ago, HashedCode said:

-If I don't game, my amd 480 will be enough to drive it? as I said, just league and valorant and youtube / coding

More than enough! I had a 480 with my screen and faced no problems whatsoever. Even used a 1050ti for a while and it also did just fine (apart from games).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Whichever setup gives you more pixels to work with. I would assume in most cases that would be 2 monitors. But an ultrawide would have the slight advantage of no border between screens (not that important for work, imho).

I'd probably go for IPS, because I don't see any advantages to OLED for work. Of course if you need to do stuff that requires any form of color precision this might change.

I have 1440p at 27", which I feel is good in terms of screen space vs. font size. For a 30"–40" I think fonts would be too large, so I'd probably go for 4K. Ideally you should test it to see what feels comfortable to you to work on.

A coworker of mine uses 4K @ 28", which apparently he is fine with, but is far too small for me to comfortable read code all day long. So test what looks good to you.

60 Hz is absolutely fine for work, at least I've never had issues with it. 30 Hz on the other hand is definitely not acceptable (very noticeable stutters when moving the mouse).

I have an RX 480 with 1440p, 27" and 1200p, 24". Is absolutely fine for work and also fine for (light) gaming. No idea about Valorant though.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I'd say go for IPS, and go for 24..27"  something higher than 1080p but not 4K (too small pixels at 24...27") 

Two monitors is awesome ... and you could get an ultrawide and rotate it 90 degrees so you have a high vertical space and a more narrow screen, making it easy to test websites or applications as if you have a smaller resolution or as if it's a phone

I'd go for a => 32" screen, 4K, 60Hz, IPS. OLED is not recommended for your usecase because of the severe burn-in risk. With 32" you can use 100% scaling and then you effectively have 4 1080p monitors worth of screen space to work with.

Idk where you are from but HERE are a few options with these specs you could check out. (It's a german site, but it's the best one to filter monitors to certain specs)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.