FTTP modem enclosure box (picture)

Badger906

I’m after an outer box like this for my ONT as it will be placed in my garage. So want to protect it a little from the elements. But my google searching isn’t throwing much up for “modem enclosure” ext. 

so any links or recommendations would be great! 

8283A9B7-9563-47B0-B07C-5774D8F8466F.jpeg

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Grainger catalog.  It will be grey with black gaskets and be really really expensive.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

I’m after an outer box like this for my ONT as it will be placed in my garage. So want to protect it a little from the elements. But my google searching isn’t throwing much up for “modem enclosure” ext. 

Amazon is a good place to start, but otherwise I'd reach out to a local electrical contractor to see what options are available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knightsbridge-JB55-Weatherproof-Electrical-Outside/dp/B08LQZK1Y5/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Broadband-Enclosure-Install-IPE12123-LTC/dp/B01IISQZFO/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

Amazon is a good place to start, but otherwise I'd reach out to a local electrical contractor to see what options are available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knightsbridge-JB55-Weatherproof-Electrical-Outside/dp/B08LQZK1Y5/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Broadband-Enclosure-Install-IPE12123-LTC/dp/B01IISQZFO/

Radio transparent is going to be the tough one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Radio transparent is going to be the tough one.

No WiFi in the box. Just the modem. Router will be internal. 

basically the fibre that will come  into my house is the complete opposite side to the routers current location. 
my copper phone line comes in the side of the house, into the garage and then is split there to the sockets around the house.

I don’t want visible cables all over the place and I don’t want holes everywhere!

so was planning to have the ONT in the garage where the fibre will come in, and then just run an Ethernet cable up through the floor into a bedroom and have the router there. 
the place the hole will be will have no power, and not an ideal under carpet run for the fibre line to have the modem inside. Near where there’s power. 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

4 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

No WiFi in the box. Just the modem. Router will be internal. 

basically the fibre that will come  into my house is the complete opposite side to the routers current location. 
my copper phone line comes in the side of the house, into the garage and then is split there to the sockets around the house.

I don’t want visible cables all over the place and I don’t want holes everywhere!

so was planning to have the ONT in the garage where the fibre will come in, and then just run an Ethernet cable up through the floor into a bedroom and have the router there. 
the place the hole will be will have no power, and not an ideal under carpet run for the fibre line to have the modem inside. 

If it’s in the garage it doesn’t have to be watertight.  A garage isn’t outside it’s just unheated.  Just use another one of those things.

Edited by Bombastinator

Just now, Bombastinator said:

If it’s in the garage it doesn’t have to be watertight.  Just use another one of those things.

Yeah I know it doesn’t have to be water tight. I just wanted it to be somewhat a good seal. As my garage isn’t insulated. So can get fairly cold in the UK. So didn’t want it to effect the modem 

1 minute ago, Badger906 said:

Yeah I know it doesn’t have to be water tight. I just wanted it to be somewhat a good seal. As my garage isn’t insulated. So can get fairly cold in the UK. So didn’t want it to effect the modem 

The UK doesn’t get very cold.  Not very very pound a nail in with a banana cold anyway.  Kinda famous for being wet, but if your garage isn’t wet it won’t be a big deal. Really cold weather can affect electronics because of thermal shrinkage but you probably won’t see a lot of that in the UK.

21 hours ago, Badger906 said:

I wouldn't trust the airflow in that to be very optimal, could overheat the ONT.

Its also not recommended to unplug the optical cable as you need to make sure its dust free.

Do you have the service right now?  As current installs AFAIK use the tiny ONT that is about the size of the phone socket, this would be overkill then.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

My understanding is thats the old Huawei install which comes with that network cabinet. Installs now use the newer Nokia unit which is quite small and just gets mounted to the wall directly. 

But if you really want a cabinet, it looks like youre after something like this: https://www.network-cabs.co.uk/acatalog/2u---4u-19--Low-Profile-Horizontal---Vertical-Mount-Network-Wall-Cabinet-ADLPC_4U_G.html

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA