Scratches on CPUY heatsink surface - Should I be worried or not?

Tragicdice
Go to solution Solved by kelvinhall05,

No, if that part even makes contact with the IHS it's the thermal paste's job to fill in stuff like this. It's totally fine.

I was removing my Scythe Mugen 5 to repaste my CPU and when I removed the heatsink the surface is scratched and a little bit of copper comes through. Is this an issue?

20210812_181240.jpg

20210812_172633.jpg

No, if that part even makes contact with the IHS it's the thermal paste's job to fill in stuff like this. It's totally fine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

as long as it gets filled in with thermal paste you should be ok even though the thermal transfer will be slightly less efficient. If the cpu is also scratched then I would turn it so the scratches are not sitting against each other if possible.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

You don't need to worry about that.

So the exposed copper is fine? Howcome it has scratches from removing it? Could it be the thermal paste that did that or?

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What would cause these scratches? I was gentle when removing it.

3 minutes ago, Tragicdice said:

So the exposed copper is fine? Howcome it has scratches from removing it? Could it be the thermal paste that did that or?

The exposed copper is fine. Scratches probably from being installed.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

The exposed copper is fine. Scratches probably from being installed.

I was realy gentle when placing it down, I saw on another forum that some thermal pastes can cause it. Not a long term issue at all?

6 minutes ago, Tragicdice said:

What would cause these scratches? I was gentle when removing it.

i agree, that looks weird…

what did u use to clean off the paste?

also this is a noctua cooler?  ive noticed very light scratches on mine too, after only a few days of use… kinda implies the material they're using is not fit for the purpose (shocking, i know)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

i agree, that looks weird…

what did u use to clean off the paste?

also this is a noctua cooler?  ive noticed very light scratches on mine too, after only a few days of use… kinda implies the material they're using is not fit for the purpose (shocking, i know)

99% alcohol and cotton swab + kitchen paper

7 minutes ago, Tragicdice said:

99% alcohol and cotton swab + kitchen paper

i see, well, that shouldnt cause these scratches… i suppose… i only used ipa and demakeup pads, so even softer than kitchen paper, and its still scratched lightly!

Never had this with Ryzen stock coolers, no scratches at all and those are aluminum afaik.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

i see, well, that shouldnt cause these scratches… i suppose… i only used demakeup pads, so even softer than kitchen paper, and its still scratched lightly!

Never had this with Ryzen stock coolers, no scratches at all and those are aluminum afaik.

Im beginning to believe it could be the thermal paste. There was a forum over at techpowerup where multiple users had scratched heatsink surfaces from Grizzly thermal paste. I am using Arctic MX4 though.

Nothing to worry about though right?

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

i see, well, that shouldnt cause these scratches… i suppose… i only used ipa and demakeup pads, so even softer than kitchen paper, and its still scratched lightly!

My temps seem to idle at 30c seems fine i guess.

12 minutes ago, Tragicdice said:

I am using Arctic MX4 though.

im using mx4 also, im just saying, it shouldnt happen, but apparently does, so conclusion is clear, the coating they use sucks. I mean how is my cpu not scratched at all, but super expensive "high end" cooler is… lol.

And yours looks way worse.

12 minutes ago, Tragicdice said:

Nothing to worry about though right?

pics are kinda blurry, but generally  no, i can imagine it becoming an issue when the coating mixes with the paste over time though… this simply should not happen and seems like a production or design error to me tbh.

3 minutes ago, Tragicdice said:

My temps seem to idle at 30c seems fine i guess.

my temps are fine too, im just saying if the coating keeps disintegrating im seeing this as an issue personally. I dont want metal particles in my otherwise non conductive thermal paste, simple as that.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

im using mx4 also, im just saying, it shouldnt happen, but apparently does, so conclusion is clear, the coating they use sucks. I mean how is my cpu not scratched at all, but super expensive "high end" cooler is… lol.

And yours looks way worse.

pics are kinda blurry, but generally  no, i can imagine it becoming an issue when the coating mixes with the paste over time though… this simply should not happen and seems like a production or design error to me tbh.

my temps are fine too, im just saying if the coating keeps disintegrating im seeing this as an issue personally. I dont want metal particles in my otherwise non conductive thermal paste, simple as that.

Yeah, better not try to fix it though as it does what it does normally.

As the sayig goes "if it aint broke dont fix it".

Ty for the help.