Threadripper Pro 3995wx + 4x Nvidia RTX A6000 BEAST Workstation for rendering and realtime raytracing 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀Ultimate🚀🚀🚀

Budget (including currency): 30,000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Unreal Engine + Vray + 3Ds max + Cyberpunk 2077

COMPUTER SPECS

We're planning to build this beast PC

• CPU: Threadripper Pro 3995wx
  • CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 RGB
  • Motherboard: Asus Pro WS WRX80E‐SAGE SE WIFI
  • GPU Graphic Cards: 4x Nvidia RTX A6000 Nvlink connected two at a time
  • Memory RAM: 1TB RAM (8x SAMSUNG 128GB 2933MHz M393AAG40M3B-CYFCQ timing: 23-21-22-47 https://www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/samsung-128gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/1X5-000A-00PP6
  • Storage: 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro RAID 0
  • Case: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 1000D Super‐Tower Case
  • PSU Power Supply Unit: CORSAIR AX1600i
  • ProArt Display PA32UCG‐K Dolby Vision True 10‐Bit 120hz

What do you think of this build? 

Do I need two power supplies to make this system work smoothly? like two Ax1600i ? or one is enough?

if yes I might need to buy Lian Li Dynamic XL instead of this one because it supports 2x ATX power supplies and would need an adapter for them both, but corsair does not recommend this 😕 please help

corsair obsidian 1000D.jpg

14 minutes ago, Oliveros said:

-snip-

Why?

Data Systems Administrator | Sergeant - US Marine Corps | CCNA / SEC+

Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti | Full Build Info | HomeLab Setup

11 minutes ago, Oliveros said:

128GB 2933MHz M393AAG40M3B-CYFCQ timing: 23-21-22-47 

That slow ram is gonna kill your performance

Get some faster ram

And yes i do know this is uneccesary unless you are doing your productivity for work, might still be overkill even for that

1 minute ago, VectorTech said:

Why?

Kids. But in the case he isnt just a kid with big dreams,i have constructive crticism:

1. Run the slower 3960x, or even consider EPYC or Xeon golds with more pcie lanes and physical slots.Youll want spacing in a build like this, because itll be maintenance nightmare if you need to run GPU distribution plates, and itll be a crappy airflow situation if you wanna keep it aircooled.

2. 1600W isnt enough for that, and really i would suspect youll need a double wide PSU, one to power GPU and one to power CPU and the rest of the system. If reliability is paramount, consider getting a 4U server rack with big wattage hotswappable PSU.

3. Consider using a separate NAS as a storage drive.

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Honestly when youre getting into RAM that big, then you know for a fact that raw CPU performance doesnt matter and RAM capacity (and their inherent rapid response) matters more.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Ah yes, I also like to save my critical data on a 4 drive Raid0. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

22 minutes ago, Oliveros said:

Do I need two power supplies to make this system work smoothly? like two Ax1600i ? or one is enough?

A single Ax1600i should be enough, but you're near its limits with 1200W of GPUs and 280W of CPU alone.

10 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Get some faster ram

And yes i do know this is uneccesary unless you are doing your productivity for work, might still be overkill even for that

Max you can go on those high-density ECC modules is 3200mhz, and the price difference isn't worth IMO.

OP did say that this is meant for productivity work.

3 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

1. Run the slower 3960x, or even consider EPYC or Xeon golds with more pcie lanes and physical slots.Youll want spacing in a build like this, because itll be maintenance nightmare if you need to run GPU distribution plates, and itll be a crappy airflow situation if you wanna keep it aircooled.

OP already went with Threadripper PRO, which has the same 8-channel memory controller as EPYC, and 128 PCIe lanes.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

1 minute ago, igormp said:

A single Ax1600i should be enough

Yes but by that stage we are playing with fire. If this is SUPPOSED to be a workstation, spreading the load would be pretty preferable. 

1 minute ago, igormp said:

OP already went with Threadripper PRO, which has the same 8-channel memory controller as EPYC, and 128 PCIe lanes.

Ah yeah, noted.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

18 hours ago, igormp said:

A single Ax1600i should be enough, but you're near its limits with 1200W of GPUs and 280W of CPU alone.

Max you can go on those high-density ECC modules is 3200mhz, and the price difference isn't worth IMO.

18 hours ago, igormp said:

Max you can go on those high-density ECC modules is 3200mhz, and the price difference isn't worth IMO

Yeah man but I need the 1TB RAM for my productivity work, also this 128gb samsung RAM is the only one listed in the Memory QVL list on the Asus WRX80 website check here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Workstation/Pro-WS-WRX80E-SAGE-SE-WIFI/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/  

there are no 3200Mhz speed ram on the QVL list that is 128gb per slot. I prefer getting anything from that QVL list it's recommended by asus right? better?

also I was checking the HP Z workstations https://zworkstations.com/products/hp-z8-workstation/ while configuring a PC I Found out if I need to get the 1TB RAM I think it is the same SAMSUNG one that has 2933MHz speed check it out in the image, so I think for my work it will be really great and fast right?

ram from z workstation.jpg

14 hours ago, igormp said:

check this video from AVArigs on youtube:  They used 4x RTX Quadro 8000 each one is 295W similar to the A6000 which is 300W per GPU, and they used the AX1600i as a power supply.

If I need to use this workstation only for rendering on the GPUs, do you think AX1600i is enough since i'm only using and rendering on the A6000 ? not the CPU power? 

Or do you recommend buying the LianLi O11Dynamic XL and getting two ATX power supplies and mount them together to turn it on? (it is not recommended by corsair by the way 😕) any suggestion?

18 hours ago, FloRolf said:

Ah yes, I also like to save my critical data on a 4 drive Raid0. 

haha yeah actually I'll backup every day my files, but I need RAID 0 to handle big files 4K footage etc...

On 8/12/2021 at 8:17 PM, igormp said:

what do you think?

18 hours ago, Oliveros said:

what do you think?

Instead of buying 2 CPUs, since you're already throwings tons of cash at this build, go for a 2000W PSU just to be safe, EVGA has one of those.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

On 8/15/2021 at 5:47 PM, igormp said:

Instead of buying 2 CPUs, since you're already throwings tons of cash at this build, go for a 2000W PSU just to be safe, EVGA has one of those.

okay great Idea, do you think EVGA SuperNOVA 2000 G+ works and compatible with the Asus WRX80 ?

1 hour ago, Oliveros said:

okay great Idea, do you think EVGA SuperNOVA 2000 G+ works and compatible with the Asus WRX80 ?

It's an ATX PSU, so it should work without problems.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

On 8/17/2021 at 5:12 PM, igormp said:

Thank you so much for your reply, Two more questions regarding the NVme RAID 0 support on this board:
I can see on the website that WRX80 comes with ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 and it is written that "allowing you to create a bootable RAID array with multiple M.2 SSDs to provide incredible throughput" here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Workstation/Pro-WS-WRX80E-SAGE-SE-WIFI/

1- where do you recommend installing windows? on the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card? or on the motherboard's nvme itself?

2- where can I find a tutorial and the drivers to install RAID 0 using 4* NVMe as raid 0 for threadripper pro 3995WX processor with this board??

(I need RAID 0 tho because I need faster copy transfers and storage)

Thank you!

Screenshot 2021-08-16 151826.jpg

On 8/17/2021 at 5:12 PM, igormp said:

what do you think?

On 8/13/2021 at 6:40 AM, Oliveros said:

haha yeah actually I'll backup every day my files, but I need RAID 0 to handle big files 4K footage etc...

If you must have more than 2TB in a single drive, (a very debatable  point), use RAID 10 or switch to 2x8TB units in RAAID 1.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

10 hours ago, brob said:

If you must have more than 2TB in a single drive, (a very debatable  point), use RAID 10 or switch to 2x8TB units in RAAID 1.

1 day worth of work isn't really worth twice the drives needed for RAID 10, and SSDs rarely fail without SMART warnings

3 hours ago, Ydfhlx said:

1 day worth of work isn't really worth twice the drives needed for RAID 10, and SSDs rarely fail without SMART warnings

Tell me, how much is a day of processing worth? (An unanswerable question only asked to point out the fallacy of the quoted assertion.)

"Rarely" is not never. But if one is so confident and a day of processing is not worth a few hundred dollars, I'd suggest a single 8TB drive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 4:20 AM, brob said:

Tell me, how much is a day of processing worth? (An unanswerable question only asked to point out the fallacy of the quoted assertion.)

"Rarely" is not never. But if one is so confident and a day of processing is not worth a few hundred dollars, I'd suggest a single 8TB drive.

where do you recommend installing windows? on the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card? or on the motherboard's nvme itself?

On 8/12/2021 at 10:49 PM, Oliveros said:

Budget (including currency): 30,000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Unreal Engine + Vray + 3Ds max + Cyberpunk 2077

COMPUTER SPECS

We're planning to build this beast PC

• CPU: Threadripper Pro 3995wx
  • CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 RGB
  • Motherboard: Asus Pro WS WRX80E‐SAGE SE WIFI
  • GPU Graphic Cards: 4x Nvidia RTX A6000 Nvlink connected two at a time
  • Memory RAM: 1TB RAM (8x SAMSUNG 128GB 2933MHz M393AAG40M3B-CYFCQ timing: 23-21-22-47 https://www.newegg.com/global/ae-en/samsung-128gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/1X5-000A-00PP6
  • Storage: 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro RAID 0
  • Case: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 1000D Super‐Tower Case
  • PSU Power Supply Unit: CORSAIR AX1600i
  • ProArt Display PA32UCG‐K Dolby Vision True 10‐Bit 120hz

What do you think of this build? 

if yes I might need to buy Lian Li Dynamic XL instead of this one because it supports 2x ATX power supplies and would need an adapter for them both, but corsair does not recommend this 😕 please help

corsair obsidian 1000D.jpg

why.... its too overkill for editing cant you wait like a minute to render? lol

7 hours ago, Oliveros said:

where do you recommend installing windows? on the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card? or on the motherboard's nvme itself?

I would use a motherboard m.2.

15 hours ago, brob said:

I would use a motherboard m.2.

I just contacted Asus and they told me this: We suggest to install the OS inside the Hype M.2 card.

I think it's better installing it on the Card, windows will be faster.

• 1 month later...

Can I suggest something radical here?  Why not build two computers, instead of trying to do it all on one?  Rendering in 3DS Max can easily be setup into renderfarm mode across both PCs.  You'll still be able to edit 4K video, too.  Hell, you'll be able to edit 8K video.
Just another observation here, I have the Threadripper Pro 3975wx on the WRX80E motherboard with a single RTX A6000.  3DS Max doesn't get the most out of the card at the moment.  In fact, the Threadripper Pro seems to render faster than the RTX A6000.

Oooh, another word of warning - I don't think you'll manage to fit the WRX80E motherboard inside that Corsair Case.  I tried to get it into a Corsair 5000D Airflow and it doesn't fit.  In fact, the motherboard doesn't fit in most of the fancy cases out there.  I'm still looking for a nice one.  Currently I have mine inside a Thermaltake H20 (I think its the H20, looks like a mini bar.  It's horrible and it's got to go.)