120mm AIOs

candycane

I have a Ryzen 7 3800x and felt the temperatures on the stock cooler was a bit too high and so I got an AIO. However, I only got an 120mm AIO and I have read that 120mm AIOs offer little to no temperature decrease, so I was wondering if I should switch my cooler. 

This is my cooler: https://www.newegg.com/p/2YM-0004-00062?Description=cooler master masterliquid 120 aio cpu liquid cooler, white led pump, robust sleeved FEP tubing&cm_re=cooler_master masterliquid 120 aio cpu liquid cooler, white led pump, robust sleeved FEP tubing-_-9SIA50M95J6894-_-Product&quicklink=true

120mm AIOs IMO should not exist. They do not have enough cooling capacity to keep high end chips like the 3800x cool compared to a proper air cooler in the same price category. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

120mm aios are only good for sff builds, otherwise they are garbage and only comparable to a cheap tower cooler

If you actually want cooling performance get a 280mm aio or bigger, otherwise dont bother and get a decent air cooler like fuma 2

6 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

120mm AIOs IMO should not exist. They do not have enough cooling capacity to keep high end chips like the 3800x cool compared to a proper air cooler in the same price category. 

Well the thing is I got this AIO from the guy who sold me the 3800X and he sold it to me for only $30

Just now, candycane said:

Well the thing is I got this AIO from the guy who sold me the 3800X and he sold it to me for only $30

You should put a proper air cooler on it. You should check out this video from Hardware Canucks testing cheap air coolers. Can probably bet most if not all will perform better than a 120mm AIO.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 hours ago, candycane said:

Great, a used 120mm at that. It doesn't matter how much it cost. It's not worth it at any price. Even a basic run of the mill single tower air cooler will do vastly better.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

I had a 120mm AiO, but it was pretty much double the thickness of 240mm ones sold today. With 2 fans for push and pull. Frankly I think it had same performance as 240mm ones today. I wish there was 240mm AiO with such thickness because it feels like this 240mm is pretty weak and I have one of the best rated AiO's currently (Liquid Freezer II).

9 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

It's fine. Here's an example of the similar ML120R which has no issue cooling the 3800x: https://www.geeknetic.es/Review/1942/Refrigeracion-liquida-Be-quiet-Pure-Loop-240-Review.html

8 hours ago, candycane said:

$30 is a decent price.

9 hours ago, candycane said:

I have read that 120mm AIOs offer little to no temperature decrease,

If you already have the cooler, you can just test to see what load temps are. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.