>90 second high Last BIOS time on SSD?!

Personawar
Go to solution Solved by Naijin,
1 minute ago, Personawar said:

It only light up once at 1 point only but very long. I can't see it clearly but I think it's around here, the second one from below:
276834575_Screenshot2021-08-10160200.png.928de58384dff7ba05eac78d6cec35c0.png

Your lighting looks too bright to read it.

According to the manual, from top to bottom it reads:

LED CPU

LED DRAM

LED VGA

LED BOOT

So if the second one from below lights up, it's stuck on VGA. Do you happen to have a spare GPU or can loan one just to test booting? Your GPU might be at fault.

Anybody know why my Last BIOS time is so high even when using an SSD and how to fix it?

1936823589_Screenshot2021-08-10104432.png.a60725aa69907757d5e0e26b00f54e0c.png

My spec:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: MSI RX 570

Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS

Ram: 16 GB

SSD: Kingston 240GB

Things I already tried but didn't work:

• Spoiler

• Update the BIOS, but it increase BIOS time from 86 to 90 second instead
    • Update Windows 10
    • Update all drivers
    • Restore BIOS setting to default
    • Disable all boot option except the SSD with OS in it
    • Boot in safe mode, only reduce 5 second, making Last BIOS time 85 second
    • Remove all unnecessary USB device, only using keyboard, mouse, network cable, and HDMI for monitor
    • Unplug and replug physical cable on the SSD

2 minutes ago, Personawar said:

Anybody know why my Last BIOS time is so high even when using an SSD and how to fix it?

1936823589_Screenshot2021-08-10104432.png.a60725aa69907757d5e0e26b00f54e0c.png

My spec:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: MSI RX 570

Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS

Ram: 16 GB

Things I already tried but didn't work:

•   Hide contents

• Update the BIOS, but it increase BIOS time from 86 to 90 second instead
    • Update Windows 10
    • Update all drivers
    • Restore BIOS setting to default
    • Disable all boot option except the SSD with OS in it
    • Boot in safe mode, only reduce 5 second, making Last BIOS time 85 second
    • Remove all unnecessary USB device, only using keyboard, mouse, network cable, and HDMI for monitor
    • Unplug and replug physical cable on the SSD

Does it actually take almost 2 minutes from pressing the power button to desktop? Were you in the BIOS before booting? If you were in the BIOS for 5 minutes, the BIOS time could be 300 seconds too. Windows is weird.

If it boots just fine, don't bother. My PC takes about 10 seconds from power button to desktop, but it says 30-40 seconds BIOS time.

Make sure bios isn't set to do a long memory check on every boot, and you can reduce the wait time to press a button. I set mine to zero but I can still get in by spamming delete on boot.

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

1 minute ago, Naijin said:

Does it actually take almost 2 minutes from pressing the power button to desktop? Were you in the BIOS before booting? If you were in the BIOS for 5 minutes, the BIOS time could be 300 seconds too. Windows is weird.

If it boots just fine, don't bother. My PC takes about 10 seconds from power button to desktop, but it says 30-40 seconds BIOS time.

Yes, I time it with my smartphone and the time it take to shows Windows logo is exactly more than 90 second, 15 second till login page, and about another 15 second till I can open task manager. The whole process takes a bit more than 2 minutes to finish.

6 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Make sure bios isn't set to do a long memory check on every boot, and you can reduce the wait time to press a button. I set mine to zero but I can still get in by spamming delete on boot.

Is there any tutorial on how to do this?

3 minutes ago, Personawar said:

Yes, I time it with my smartphone and the time it take to shows Windows logo is exactly more than 90 second, 15 second till login page, and about another 15 second till I can open task manager. The whole process takes a bit more than 2 minutes to finish.

When you press the power button, look at your motherboard. It has LED's indicating the phase of POST it's at. It's called EZ DEBUG LED, which is located above the 24 pin ATX connector.

It should cycle between all of those until it stops at BOOT, at that point it starts loading Windows. See where it hangs the longest time.

3 minutes ago, Naijin said:

When you press the power button, look at your motherboard. It has LED's indicating the phase of POST it's at. It's called EZ DEBUG LED, which is located above the 24 pin ATX connector.

It should cycle between all of those until it stops at BOOT, at that point it starts loading Windows. See where it hangs the longest time.

Ok, I'll try to see if it gives more info to fix this.

12 minutes ago, Naijin said:

It only light up once at 1 point only but very long. I can't see it clearly but I think it's around here, the second one from below:

1 minute ago, Personawar said:

LED CPU

LED DRAM

LED VGA

LED BOOT

So if the second one from below lights up, it's stuck on VGA. Do you happen to have a spare GPU or can loan one just to test booting? Your GPU might be at fault.

2 minutes ago, Naijin said:

LED CPU

LED DRAM

LED VGA

LED BOOT

I think I have 1 old GPU in my old PC, I have to find it first though. I'll try to see if it fixed the problem and post the result later. Thank you for the help 🙂

Have you tried disabling these weird start up processes?

Also in case its not the gpu…

5 hours ago, Personawar said:

Try this.

https://dfarq.homeip.net/fix-dead-ssd/

I had a very slow kingston "ssd" and fixed it this way, its now sometimes even faster than my 15yo toshiba sshd 🤣

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

20 hours ago, Naijin said:

LED CPU

LED DRAM

LED VGA

LED BOOT

Thank you, it was indeed a GPU problem. I tried using different AMD GPU and the boot process is very fast.

Fortunately my RX 570 is not broken either. When I tried to put it back, it boot pretty fast too. Maybe I just put it incorrectly before.

319030359_Screenshot2021-08-11122726.png.78eb37c5c78c60b0784caef99c4b583d.png

15 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Have you tried disabling these weird start up processes?

Also in case its not the gpu…

Try this.

https://dfarq.homeip.net/fix-dead-ssd/

I had a very slow kingston "ssd" and fixed it this way, its now sometimes even faster than my 15yo toshiba sshd 🤣

It was a GPU problem and already fixed now, but thank you for the SSD tips 😁

21 hours ago, cacoe said:

Thank you for trying to help, it's already fixed now 😁