What temperature is normal for an AMD R9 3950X?

Go to solution Solved by frozensun,

For the price of those fans I suppose you could get Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 or 360 mm,budget cooler but great one.

I wouldn't search for better one that that.

Or hell better 420 mm one and if you get around simillar temps that I would check your fan setup.

It's not only AIO that matters it's your case cooling,ambient temp,setup of fans etc...

Hello everyone,

currently trying to figure out what's wrong with my system.

My System:

• Deepcool MACUBE 550
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
  • Asus RTX3070 ROG-STRIX
  • Be quiet! straight power 1000W ATX24
  • CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H115i Pro | side, fans mounted on the back
  • 2 Noctua S12A | front
  • 1 Notcua S12A | back

My temperatures:

• Idle: 55°C-60°C
  • Heavy load: 90°C+

Should I consider upgrading to a bigger AIO? How can you see if 360 / 420 radiators will fit?
I am replacing the fans on my radiator with Noctua F14A, will update the post if sth changes.

If PBO is enabled, this is 100% norml and expected.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

If PBO is enabled, this is 100% norml and expected.

Should I then turn off PBO in my BIOS to mitigate thermal throttling?

8 minutes ago, TimonDEV said:

Should I then turn off PBO in my BIOS to mitigate thermal throttling?

That's your choice, depending on your expectations. PBO is not considered stock operation. The CPU will continue to throttle itself to manage its thermals.

Disabling PBO to remove thermal throttling will result in lower performance, unless there's something wrong with the cooler causing it to throttle below stock levels.

The 3950X has the capacity to draw a lot of power, and is able to saturate most if not all coolers on the market. The one that I have experience with drew over 240 W under P95 loading with PBO enabled, thermal throttling.

Thermal throttling is not a bad thing when you have a high performance cooler operating normally.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

16 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

That's your choice, depending on your expectations. PBO is not considered stock operation. The CPU will continue to throttle itself to manage its thermals.

Disabling PBO to remove thermal throttling will result in lower performance, unless there's something wrong with the cooler causing it to throttle below stock levels.

The 3950X has the capacity to draw a lot of power, and is able to saturate most if not all coolers on the market. The one that I have experience with drew over 240 W under P95 loading with PBO enabled, thermal throttling.

Thermal throttling is not a bad thing when you have a high performance cooler operating normally.

Thank you for the tip. I disabled PBO in my BIOS and now my CPU won't go higher than 80°C, which is much more in the range that I want it to be. The clock speed without full load is at 4ghz, on full load it lowers itself to around 3.9-3.85ish. My question now is, should I go for better cooling, like a 360/420 rad or (as I saw in another post) the dark rock pro 4 cooler? Yes I know that it is my choice in the end, but would you consider the corsair one I have as enough?

7 hours ago, TimonDEV said:

Thank you for the tip. I disabled PBO in my BIOS and now my CPU won't go higher than 80°C, which is much more in the range that I want it to be. The clock speed without full load is at 4ghz, on full load it lowers itself to around 3.9-3.85ish. My question now is, should I go for better cooling, like a 360/420 rad or (as I saw in another post) the dark rock pro 4 cooler? Yes I know that it is my choice in the end, but would you consider the corsair one I have as enough?

I would install ryzen master, check your stock voltage & clocks speed

load cpu with p95 small fft while u tweak the voltage down

voltage tweak should reduce your heat output ✌️

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

I would replace your cooler.. PBO does not add that much heat, and I do consider it to be stock operation.. because that's how little difference it makes. I only have 4 cores less than you, and I idle in the mid to upper 20s and load in the high 70s low 80s with a 21c ambient.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TL-C12 Pro

That case looks a bit bad for a higher end system. Barely any openings for fans in front or side of the case.

9 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

I would install ryzen master, check your stock voltage & clocks speed

load cpu with p95 small fft while u tweak the voltage down

voltage tweak should reduce your heat output ✌️

Thank you for your suggestion. I will use the tool later today to tweak my cpu to reduce the heat output.

26 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I would replace your cooler.. PBO does not add that much heat, and I do consider it to be stock operation.. because that's how little difference it makes. I only have 4 cores less than you, and I idle in the mid to upper 20s and load in the high 70s low 80s with a 21c ambient.

I will exchange my two fans that are mounted on my radiator on wednesday, if my temperatures stay that high with them exchanged, I'll make another post in the right section here what I could change in my system (as @Jeppessaid my case is not the best when it comes to openings for fans) and what cooling I should use.

16 hours ago, TimonDEV said:

Thank you for your suggestion. I will use the tool later today to tweak my cpu to reduce the heat output.

I will exchange my two fans that are mounted on my radiator on wednesday, if my temperatures stay that high with them exchanged, I'll make another post in the right section here what I could change in my system (as @Jeppessaid my case is not the best when it comes to openings for fans) and what cooling I should use.

u can also swap your radiator fans to static pressure optimized ones

like the budget arctic p12 pwm pst ones

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

7 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

u can also swap your radiator fans to static pressure optimized ones

like the budget arctic p12 pwm pst ones

I will be using the Noctua NF-F14 PWM Fans. It seems that they will be coming today, so I'll give an update when I install them later.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

my temperatures are far better now, under load it will still reach it's 80°C limit and thermal throttle, but I guess that's just not enough cooling for a 3950X. Without load it will now balance itself around 45°C-52°C, which is better than 55°C-60°C.

my next question would be (without changing the case, sorry Jeppes), can I fit a 420 Radiator in my case (and how can I calculate / find that out)?

3 hours ago, TimonDEV said:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

my temperatures are far better now, under load it will still reach it's 80°C limit and thermal throttle, but I guess that's just not enough cooling for a 3950X. Without load it will now balance itself around 45°C-52°C, which is better than 55°C-60°C.

my next question would be (without changing the case, sorry Jeppes), can I fit a 420 Radiator in my case (and how can I calculate / find that out)?

check your processor on load voltages yo

For the price of those fans I suppose you could get Arctic Liquid Freezer 280 or 360 mm,budget cooler but great one.

I wouldn't search for better one that that.

Or hell better 420 mm one and if you get around simillar temps that I would check your fan setup.

It's not only AIO that matters it's your case cooling,ambient temp,setup of fans etc...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.