High CPU temps on a non OC new build

Erlijus
Go to solution Solved by BiotechBen,

that's normal for the top tier RYZEN chips, the power reporting deviation is a trick by some mobo manufacturers to pump more current into the chip to eek out more performance. I have a 2600X and a B450 Pro4 from ASRock, and under balls to the wall video encoding my P-dev sometimes goes that high. RYZEN chips already run close to the redline so overclocking doesn't get much from them as you would expect. RYZEN temps around there are what to expect.

New build I just put together: AMD r9 5900X, ASUS TUF 6800 XT, 32 GB DDR4 3600, ASUS ROG B550 GAMING-F Mobo, Noctua NH-D15S CPU cooler (with included thermal paste).

Build is not overclocked yet (aside from the AMD XMP-equivalent profile to run the memory at 2x1800 MHz).

Concern (?): temps seem pretty high on the CPU, as HWinfo64 reports max CPU Tdies of 86C on CCD1 and 79C on CCD2 under full load (Prime95 stress tests on 24 threads). Also, I have a power reporting deviation that goes from 103% to 124% under full CPU load, seems way too high. Is there something i can do to lower it ?

Does all of that seem normal to you ? It seems pretty high to me and leaves me with little room for overclocking, am I correct ?

that's normal for the top tier RYZEN chips, the power reporting deviation is a trick by some mobo manufacturers to pump more current into the chip to eek out more performance. I have a 2600X and a B450 Pro4 from ASRock, and under balls to the wall video encoding my P-dev sometimes goes that high. RYZEN chips already run close to the redline so overclocking doesn't get much from them as you would expect. RYZEN temps around there are what to expect.

86! and 79 is a bit hot tho especially on stock with that cooler... as for power deviation you mean wattage ? If yes then thats normal my 5900X easily takes 144wats on stock.

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11