Thinking about this laptop, what do you guys think?

Hello all,

I am thinking about buying this pc: MSI Prestige 15 A11SCX. I found it for 1100 euro (I live in Belgium). Would like your opinion or other suggestion. More info about what I want bellow!

Thanks in advance!

42thgamer

poc.jpg

•  Budget: 1300 euro

• **How would you prioritize form factor (ultrabook, 2-in-1, etc.), build quality, performance, and battery life?**Build quality is very important (would be moving by train/bus/bike daily)

• Would like about 7 hours of battery life with light use (like taking notes)

• Will use virtual machines, light gaming and programming

• Azerty-keyboard is needed (french comma), some IO like hdmi/ethernet/usb c build be a big plus

An ok, spec laptop. Seems average for a entry-level gaming laptop to me. 

8 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

Would like about 7 hours of battery life with light use (like taking notes)

Do NOT expect 7 hours even with power saver mode enabled on a gaming laptop. The batteries are just not big enough to power this for 7 hours+. If you're going for an ultrabook, why are you going with a 15"?? A 13" laptop would be more ideal for portability. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

An ok, spec laptop. Seems average for a entry-level gaming laptop to me. 

Do NOT expect 7 hours even with power saver mode enabled on a gaming laptop. The batteries are just not big enough to power this for 7 hours+. If you're going for an ultrabook, why are you going with a 15"?? A 13" laptop would be more ideal for portability. 

On the battery life, any idea how more I need to spend to get more out of it?
I like a big screens, that's why ;).
If you have other suggestions I would to hear them.

Just now, 42thgamer said:

On the battery life, any idea how more I need to spend to get more out of it?
I like a big screens, that's why ;).

They pretty much only max out at 100Whr (it could be less). There is a 82Whr battery in this laptop. I would expect at least 3 hours of battery life with a laptop like this. 

A 13" you can just slip in and out of the backpack easily and not take up as much room for notes. You're pretty much looking for a high-end 2-in-1 laptop. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

They pretty much only max out at 100Whr (it could be less). There is a 82Whr battery in this laptop. I would expect at least 3 hours of battery life with a laptop like this. 

A 13" you can just slip in and out of the backpack easily and not take up as much room for notes. You're pretty much looking for a high-end 2-in-1 laptop. 

So with my budget a 13" would be easier? Any examples?

9 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

So with my budget a 13" would be easier? Any examples?

Here are two (I live in the US and I don't know of any Belgium stores, sorry) 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-512gb-ssd/6466255.p?

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Modern-Professional-Laptop-IPS-Level/dp/B08R9GFYJQ/ref=sr_1_18?

8 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I can find the first one for a decent price. Only concern is that it might look a bit "gamery". Have you had any hands on experience? Just the back colors concerns me.

The second one looks a bit better but can only find a 8gb model, it's upgradeble but than it costs more.

12 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

I can find the first one for a decent price. Only concern is that it might look a bit "gamery". Have you had any hands on experience? Just the back colors concerns me.

The second one looks a bit better but can only find a 8gb model, it's upgradeble but than it costs more.

No, I haven't had any hands on experience with any of these two machines. 

I, myself, have a MSI Stealth 15 and its a decent machine, but the battery life for the 15" is roughly 3-4 hours at idle, surfing the Internet on the battery. 

No, I haven't had any hands on experience with any of these two machines. 

I, myself, have a MSI Stealth 15 and its a decent machine, but the battery life for the 15" is roughly 3-4 hours at idle, surfing the Internet on the battery. 

That battery life is rough, but the ASUS Zephyrus G14 should get a little more time right?
I found a cheaper version with a PCIe ssd instead of a M.2 one. It saves me 150 euro, I never had a M.2 ssd so not sure it is worth it.

7 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

That battery life is rough, but the ASUS Zephyrus G14 should get a little more time right?
I found a cheaper version with a PCIe ssd instead of a M.2 one. It saves me 150 euro, I never had a M.2 ssd so not sure it is worth it.

Do you have a link to that cheaper laptop with the PCIe SSD? M.2 NVMe will blow a M.2 SATA right out of the water with read/write speeds. 

The Zephyrus G15 should be better imo. 

Do you have a link to that cheaper laptop with the PCIe SSD? M.2 NVMe will blow a M.2 SATA right out of the water with read/write speeds. 

The Zephyrus G15 should be better imo. 

https://www.bol.com/be/nl/p/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-ga401ii-he092t-gaming-laptop-14-inch-120-hz/9300000017829286/?bltgh=pUwVrffuJyc3memoTI9CXQ.2_17.20.ProductTitle

It is in dutch... It's also not a azerty model, but I might be able to get it in azerty the seller might not list all options.

The G15 costs about 750 euro more, and that is to much for me.

11 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

https://www.bol.com/be/nl/p/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-ga401ii-he092t-gaming-laptop-14-inch-120-hz/9300000017829286/?bltgh=pUwVrffuJyc3memoTI9CXQ.2_17.20.ProductTitle

It is in dutch... It's also not a azerty model, but I might be able to get it in azerty the seller might not list all options.

The G15 costs about 750 euro more, and that is to much for me.

That's a slightly better variant with a 120Hz panel than the 60Hz I showed you (and yes, the keyboard layout I know are both in QWERTY). 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

That's a slightly better variant with a 120Hz panel than the 60Hz I showed you (and yes, the keyboard layout I know are both in QWERTY). 

The G15 is too expensive for me.

Right now thinking about this one:

https://www.bol.com/be/nl/p/asus-rog-zephyrus-g14-ga401ii-he092t-be-ddr4-sdram-notebook-35-6-cm-1920-x-1080-pixels-amd-ryzen-7-16-gb-512-gb-ssd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-ti-wi-fi-6-windows-10-home-grijs/9300000017829037/

2 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

Is it possible you can find the 1st one with a AZERTY layout?? The GeForce 1650 Ti that comes with it has 4 GB of VRAM, while this one only has 2GB. It'll make a big difference in gaming. 

12 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Is it possible you can find the 1st one with a AZERTY layout?? The GeForce 1650 Ti that comes with it has 4 GB of VRAM, while this one only has 2GB. It'll make a big difference in gaming. 

Did a lot of looking around, and only qwerty keyboard for sale. So not sure what to do...

2 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

Did a lot of looking around, and only qwerty keyboard for sale. So not sure what to do...

That sucks...Still a good laptop but for that much money, I'd expect at least 4GB of VRAM. 2GB would be seen on $600-800 laptops. 

1 minute ago, SpiderMan said:

That sucks...Still a good laptop but for that much money, I'd expect at least 4GB of VRAM. 2GB would be seen on $600-800 laptops. 

Think I have to bite the bullit. Prices are always higher because of the limited azerty suply...

1 minute ago, 42thgamer said:

Think I have to bite the bullit. Prices are always higher because of the limited azerty suply...

And then to compound that, any supply issues due to manufacturing in a slump right now due to COVID and people buying laptops for school. 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

And then to compound that, any supply issues due to manufacturing in a slump right now due to COVID and people buying laptops for school. 

Will look a bit more, and make a dissension then. Is it alright for you if I ask your opinion on them?

4 minutes ago, 42thgamer said:

Will look a bit more, and make a dissension then. Is it alright for you if I ask your opinion on them?

Yeah, that's no problem! Just be sure to quote me or @SpiderMan when you post a reply.