Unknown header

Go to solution Solved by nerd1995,

The ASUS answered my email and said that it's an SPI header, the repair center uses it to do BIOS updates. 

Problem solved.

8 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

You can still plug it in backwards by just flipping the cable.

No, cuz the missing pin is top left or bottom right depending of how you flip it. See:

usb.png

8 hours ago, nerd1995 said:

There is the COM port.

16283502407673004039165781048590.jpg

Yeah, I saw that picture. I meant that its connected to different things. A COM port is just a serial communication port that can be used for various purposes. This one that you pictured is for connecting to external devices like USB, its an older standard that isn't really used now but was in before USB came out,

What I meant by that being COM is like what Spotty said about it being an internal communication with maybe the bios chip. 
Essentially, you're not going to be touching that since its moreso for ASRock employees to test/fix the motherboard(probably, not sure).

Computer specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-6500
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX2.0+ 2GB

Motherboard: GA-Z170-HD3P VER.2

RAM: G.Skill Aegis 1x16GB 2400mhz

Case: Corsair Spec-01

Storage: 120GB Adata SP550 + 1TB HDD + 500GB HDD

Wireless card: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11ac/BT 4.0

PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

Keyboard: Razer Backwidow Ultimate Stealth Non-RGB

Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus M601

Headphones: Steelseries Artis 1

Monitors: LG 24MP59G-P 24-inch 75hz 

6 hours ago, Drak01112 said:

Yeah, I saw that picture. I meant that its connected to different things. A COM port is just a serial communication port that can be used for various purposes. This one that you pictured is for connecting to external devices like USB, its an older standard that isn't really used now but was in before USB came out,

What I meant by that being COM is like what Spotty said about it being an internal communication with maybe the bios chip. 
Essentially, you're not going to be touching that since its moreso for ASRock employees to test/fix the motherboard(probably, not sure).

But its not an ASRock mobo, and i know wat COM is, and this one is not it. I found a pic from a h370i back from 2019 that has the same thing and it wasn't labeled either.

7 hours ago, nerd1995 said:

But its not an ASRock mobo, and i know wat COM is, and this one is not it.

Meant to say ASUS. Same-ish thing. 

Look man, I don't know what you want from me. Its clearly meant for internal use judging from the lack of labels. Modern motherboards tend to all have the same kinds of connectors as no one is going to just go and create new standards for some random connector. Thus, its more than likely a COM port as it misses the same pin in the upper-right as other COM ports do. 

I found a pic from a h370i back from 2019 that has the same thing and it wasn't labeled either.

That only lends more credit to my theory that its a COM port for communication with the motherboard, prob. BIOS. 

I don't know what you want from me. If you are so sure its not COM, then tell me what it is.

Computer specs:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Drak01112 said:

Meant to say ASUS. Same-ish thing. 

Look man, I don't know what you want from me. Its clearly meant for internal use judging from the lack of labels. Modern motherboards tend to all have the same kinds of connectors as no one is going to just go and create new standards for some random connector. Thus, its more than likely a COM port as it misses the same pin in the upper-right as other COM ports do. 

That only lends more credit to my theory that its a COM port for communication with the motherboard, prob. BIOS. 

I don't know what you want from me. If you are so sure its not COM, then tell me what it is.

DUDE i already told you previously that this mobo has a dedicated COM port wich is located at the BOTTOM of the board. So i dont know what the hell are you talking about, but neither do you by the looks of your reply.

image.thumb.png.d2e993dd99366a7a800f9893cc9b1952.png

On 8/8/2021 at 11:12 AM, nerd1995 said:

DUDE i already told you previously that this mobo has a dedicated COM port wich is located at the BOTTOM of the board. So i dont know what the hell are you talking about, but neither do you by the looks of your reply.

image.thumb.png.d2e993dd99366a7a800f9893cc9b1952.png

Have you even read what I said?
That COM port is for connecting external devices to the computer like a USB port.

This port is (by the looks of it) is for communication with the motherboard itself.

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING.

Computer specs:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Drak01112 said:

That COM port is for connecting external devices to the computer like a USB port.

This port is (by the looks of it) is for communication with the motherboard itself.

Ok, dude now you're just trying to piss me off.

7 hours ago, Drak01112 said:

FYI it's an SPI header, the repair center uses it to do BIOS updates. 

The ASUS answered my email and said that it's an SPI header, the repair center uses it to do BIOS updates. 

Problem solved.

8 hours ago, Drak01112 said:

2 hours ago, nerd1995 said:

Ok, dude now you're just trying to piss me off.

24 minutes ago, nerd1995 said:

23 minutes ago, nerd1995 said:

Problem solved.

That's literally what he said it was, a port for working with the board not a port for external end user use. SPI bus is a serial data bus used for relatively low speed (upto 60 mega bits) inter-device communication at a hardware level, like between BIOS and TPM for example or between BIOS and CPU or CPU and TPM, or the SuperIO/Fan controller and BIOS, etc. It's not something visible to the end user and is used for debug/diagnosis. It CAN be useful to you if you need to do some low level diagnosis because it can be read and decoded but it's not anything you'll need to mess with unless something is hopelessly broken at which point it's probably not worth fixing a $150 motherboard. Solid board though, mine has been pretty stable but I wish there was a little more temp info for the VRM components and the Asus BIOS and software utilities are a little...buggy sometimes. Oh, do update to the latest BIOS, it adds A LOT of new finer grained CPU controls and seems a lot more stable than the BIOS my board shipped with.

I have the same exact board and googled around a bunch to find that information that you got from Asus. It's nice to have the header available. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface#Applications

26 minutes ago, Bitter said:

That's literally what he said it was, a port for working with the board not a port for external end user use. SPI bus is a serial data bus used for relatively low speed (upto 60 mega bits) inter-device communication at a hardware level, like between BIOS and TPM for example or between BIOS and CPU or CPU and TPM, or the SuperIO/Fan controller and BIOS, etc. It's not something visible to the end user and is used for debug/diagnosis. It CAN be useful to you if you need to do some low level diagnosis because it can be read and decoded but it's not anything you'll need to mess with unless something is hopelessly broken at which point it's probably not worth fixing a $150 motherboard. Solid board though, mine has been pretty stable but I wish there was a little more temp info for the VRM components and the Asus BIOS and software utilities are a little...buggy sometimes. Oh, do update to the latest BIOS, it adds A LOT of new finer grained CPU controls and seems a lot more stable than the BIOS my board shipped with.

I have the same exact board and googled around a bunch to find that information that you got from Asus. It's nice to have the header available. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface#Applications

Thats not what he said. He stated that the port i showed is a COM port, to which i said that the board it self has a dedicated COM port loacted elswhere with a label saying COM as showen in picture above. Like does he evan read and interpret what im telling him?

56 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Solid board though, mine has been pretty stable but I wish there was a little more temp info for the VRM components and the Asus BIOS and software utilities are a little...buggy sometimes. Oh, do update to the latest BIOS, it adds A LOT of new finer grained CPU controls and seems a lot more stable than the BIOS my board shipped with.

The bios was pretty old from the factory, so i had to update it, and i wish they would add more usb 2.0 headers to the boards thou. Like 1 usb header isn't enough this days, when you have AIOs, fan controllers or a CAM from NZXT. Beside that it's a solid mobo.

4 hours ago, nerd1995 said:

Okay, so SPI is a communication standard that is used for serial communication. It is not a hardware interface, merely a software interface. COM ports are the name for the hardware interface ports that you see on motherboards. They probably used COM headers because its a common part to produce, serial port, easy to source and configure their pick-and-place solder machine for.

3 hours ago, nerd1995 said:

Thats not what he said. He stated that the port i showed is a COM port, to which i said that the board it self has a dedicated COM port loacted elswhere with a label saying COM as showen in picture above. Like does he evan read and interpret what im telling him?

Im not saying it definently is a COM port, I said it was most likely a COM port. Moreover, what I said was that it was an internal connector using a COM port header. That "dedicated COM port" is a whole seperate thing for connecting external devices to the CPU.

They have different traces, one goes toward the BIOS chip on the motherboard, then another goes toward the CPU.

They don't do the same thing. Why are you so caught up with the whole 'you can only have one COM port' deal?

Look, I'm tired with this bs, I'm not going to argue about this anymore when you clearly are going to stick to your points and not going to read what I write.

Edited by Drak01112
grammar and stuff

Computer specs:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Drak01112 said:

Okay, so SPI is a communication standard that is used for serial communication. It is not a hardware interface, merely a software interface. COM ports are the name for the hardware interface ports that you see on motherboards. They probably used COM headers because its a common part to produce and easy to source and configure their pick-and-place solder machine for.

Im not saying it definently is a COM port, I said it was most likely a COM port. Moreover, what I said was that it was an internal connector using a COM port header. That "dedicated COM port" is a whole seperate thing for connecting external devices to the CPU.

They have different traces, one goes toward the BIOS chip on the motherboard, then another goes toward the CPU.

They don't do the same thing. Why are you so caught up with the whole 'you can only have one COM port' deal?

Look, I'm tired with this bs, I'm not going to argue about this anymore when you clearly are going to stick to your points and not going to read what I write.

You dont want to argue, but yet here you are doing it again.

The bios was pretty old from the factory, so i had to update it, and i wish they would add more usb 2.0 headers to the boards thou. Like 1 usb header isn't enough this days, when you have AIOs, fan controllers or a CAM from NZXT. Beside that it's a solid mobo.

I had that issue too but for a different reason, got an internal USB hub! It connects to the board header and splits it off into more internal header ports. They're not even expensive! You can also get hubs that split 3.0 into a bunch of 3.0 or 2.0, or you used to be able to. Just make sure you're not connecting power hungry devices to an unpowered hub.

Now if it just had FireWire so I didn't have a dead port on the front of my case that I'll never use...

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I had that issue too but for a different reason, got an internal USB hub! It connects to the board header and splits it off into more internal header ports. They're not even expensive! You can also get hubs that split 3.0 into a bunch of 3.0 or 2.0, or you used to be able to. Just make sure you're not connecting power hungry devices to an unpowered hub.

Now if it just had FireWire so I didn't have a dead port on the front of my case that I'll never use...

Nah, the fan/led controller and the cooler, both of them need to be connected to the mobo, via the 9pin usb header for DATA only. The power is trough sata. I can solve it by buying a 9 pin usb Y splitter cable like this and it cost like 10-20 bucks.

51uF79FQ4AL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Yes, that's an internal hub.

25 minutes ago, nerd1995 said:

Nah, the fan/led controller and the cooler, both of them need to be connected to the mobo, via the 9pin usb header for DATA only. The power is trough sata. I can solve it by buying a 9 pin usb Y splitter cable like this and it cost like 10-20 bucks.

51uF79FQ4AL._AC_SS450_.jpg