Is this a good pre built pc?

w Berg w

Budget (including currency): $2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cod, warzone, minecraft, fortnite, csgo, valorant, valheim, nba 2k

Is this a good pre built pc?

https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Gaming-Chromos-PC-Desktop/dp/B099J3V4L9/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Skytech+Gaming+Chromos+Gaming+PC+Desktop+-+AMD+Ryzen+5+5600X%2C+RTX+3070+8G%2C+16G+DDR4+3200%2C+1TB+Gen4%2C+RGB+Fans%2C+AC+Wi-Fi%2C+Windows+10+Home+64-bit%2C+White&qid=1628288474&sr=8-1

Reviews on the psu are terrible, along with it being a 650w unit powering a 3070 which isn’t the worst, but isn’t ideal, it’s reviews indicate a very high failure rate.

Stock cooler, cheapest B550 motherboard they could find, cheapest 1tb nvme ssd out there, overall just not really worth the money.

Youd basically be buying this for the gpu, cpu and ram maybe. Since every other part you’d be better off getting something nicer and just putting it together yourself, but the cost effectiveness of a prebuilt is still there.

Yeah it looks decent enough. You could probably do better if you built one yourself but, if that's not your thing, then this one looks OK.

I do have a couple of observations though.

They mention an AIO Cooler but the images of the PC don't show an AIO anywhere. It's using the (free) AMD Cooler that comes with the 5600X CPU. There's nothing wrong with that as long as they're not saying they're giving you an AIO but actually just using the bundled CPU cooler. I know they mention that the images are for illustration only but I'd make sure I'm getting an AIO if that's what they advertised.

For the $2000 price, you could probably jump up a notch (3070ti) in terms of the GPU even at current prices if you build it yourself but again, if that's not your thing, this pre-built would be acceptable.

They don't mention what brand of motherboard, RAM, PSU, SSD or case fans they're going to use and this means they could cheap out on the components and give you something that's a couple of tiers down from the price-point you're looking at here.

The motherboard they have in the images is mATX and, there's nothing wrong with that but they are cheaper because they're smaller and have less expansion capacity so just keep that in mind if you want to run dual GPUs down the road or have any other PCIe expansion cards you might want to use.

I don't know much about the case but it looks decent enough. Due to all the mesh, you should get good airflow and therefore good cooling. My only concern would be the fans they use. If they cheap out you may not get the cooling performance you'd expect from a mesh case and it may run louder than if it had more expensive fans in it.

The same goes for the AIO, a cheap AIO may look nice. But you could get better cooling performance from a high-end air-cooler.

Cooling performance can be relatively easily upgraded later on if you find that it's running hot or loud. You could put in some better fans and whatnot and that would boost your cooling for relatively little outlay.

I don't mean to put you off, the system in general looks nice and it might come with decent components but, I'd question them on what they might use to build it with. I like to know exactly what I'm buying before I put down any money. Giving a "exact components may vary" disclaimer is not good enough in my book. I'd want a list of the potential components they use so I know whether they're cheaping out on things. 

Remember, you're paying $2000 for this so you should be getting around that value of components minus a little "build-fee". Pre-built suppliers make their money by cheaping out on certain things and making the system appear more premium than the actual components used might be.

The reviews seem positive enough which is good but I'd do a little research, look at their bad reviews especially and see what those customers didn't like. Maybe they got crappy components, maybe something failed and customer-service was terrible, maybe the delivery time was crazy long.

Have a read of the reviews, ask some questions and, if you're still comfortable after all that. I'd go with it.

There's nothing wrong with buying a pre-built, the only thing wrong is that some pre-built companies try to cheap out and give the customer a cheaper PC than the price-point suggests.

Spec wise:

- The AMD Ryzen 5 5600X and RTX 3070 with the price of $1999 seems to be not bad, although with the current GPU prices and pandemic, it still consider a bit premium.

- 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD sounds absolute overkill, but I guess with the price you are paying for, not bad actually. It looks like this took a chunk of the cost.

- Not sure about the motherboard. If it's B550, then it's a good deal, if it's B450, then you're overpaying it.

- 16GB RAM, if in dual channel, it's a good option. If it's a single stick, well, yeah.

- Hmm, specs said it has 120mm AIO Liquid Cooling, but the picture doesn't show it. If it is, now I can guess where the money goes.

- 650W 80 Plus Gold certified PSU, but no brand or model given. If the PSU ends up in Tier B of PSU tier list, it will be great for your money, and if not, well, it's still okay for the price. Also I don't encourage you to overclock any of your components.

So, in summary, this is not a bad PC, with the price and the spec listed, it's not a bad deal, judging that currently getting a GPU is like getting a lottery. Though some specs is quite questionable, for example, the 1TB NVMe SSD using PCIe Gen 4 protocol, that's a waste of money to be honest, I would rather cheap on using NVMe PCIe Gen 3 SSD and put a little more to get 750W or 850W PSU.

Well, I think if you want it, go ahead, it's not a bad deal.

On a side note: Please confirm with the merchant what you are actually getting. Merchants may be swapping low quality components to your system without you knowing. There's a lot of things the merchant left out, for example, the motherboard used for this build. They can put Gigabyte B450 UD (which doesn't support PCIe Gen 4 if not mistaken) and called it a day for all I know.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

20 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Reviews on the psu are terrible, along with it being a 650w unit powering a 3070 which isn’t the worst, but isn’t ideal, it’s reviews indicate a very high failure rate.

Stock cooler, cheapest B550 motherboard they could find, cheapest 1tb nvme ssd out there, overall just not really worth the money.

Youd basically be buying this for the gpu, cpu and ram maybe. Since every other part you’d be better off getting something nicer and just putting it together yourself, but the cost effectiveness of a prebuilt is still there.

Case looks pretty acceptable too. I thought the stock cooler on a 5600 was ok. Not great, and overclocking at all on em is a bad idea, but not crippling or anything. If there’s an option for a slightly bigger cooler it could be a really good idea if the machine is going to be somewhere warm.  Stock coolers have a rep for being sort of a minimum cooling wise. 

Compared to a whitebox, every proebuilt that exists is going to lose though.  If they don’t people wouldn’t build white boxes.   There’s enough decent parts here that I think a whitebox could be built using a lot of them though. Cheapass motherboard and PSU is fewer not good parts than most prebuilts. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.