5900x build, need help with cooling and ram

z33d

I hope you don't mind yet another thread for 5900x.
I'm building a new rig based on 5900x and 3800, for the complete picture here's the list:

• be quiet! Silent Base 802
  • be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W 80 Plus Platinum
  • ASUS Tuf Gaming X570-Pro
  • ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming 10GB OC V2 LHR
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • 2x Samsung 980 m.2
  • 2x HDD

Rig will be used both for gaming and software development (expect heavy use of docker and lots of virtualization).

I don't want to overclock anything and I'd like to go with air cooling.

I was thinking about NH‑D15 as it seems to be everyone's favorite, but I'm concerned about fitting the right memory sticks.
Eventually I want to get 64gb of ram (4 sticks), but if that's more feasible for some reasons I can live with 32gb on two sticks for now with a room for an upgrade in foreseeable future.
My main concern is (a) matching the ram with Ryzen and (b) fan clearance. Can you help me with that?
I don't really care about the look, this will be closed, non-rgb build and I was planning for spending ~500e on memory, but I can stretch that budget if necessary.
I haven't thought much about the case fans so far, I thought I would build it with with spare fans I have and adjust based on temp readings.
If you have any suggestions for the CPU fan and memory or fans in general I would highly appreciate.

Thanks!

If you're worried about RAM clearance you could also consider the Scythe Fuma 2. It has a thin fan that's slightly offset so it doesn't overhang the RAM. That's what I'm using to cool my 5900X and it's working great.

As for the RAM itself, here's the QVL for that motherboard: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X570-PRO/Memory_QVL_for_AMD_Ryzen_5000_Series_Processors_X570_0423.pdf

30 minutes ago, z33d said:

I hope you don't mind yet another thread for 5900x.
I'm building a new rig based on 5900x and 3800, for the complete picture here's the list:

• be quiet! Silent Base 802
  • be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W 80 Plus Platinum
  • ASUS Tuf Gaming X570-Pro
  • ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming 10GB OC V2 LHR
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • 2x Samsung 980 m.2
  • 2x HDD

Rig will be used both for gaming and software development (expect heavy use of docker and lots of virtualization).

I don't want to overclock anything and I'd like to go with air cooling.

I was thinking about NH‑D15 as it seems to be everyone's favorite, but I'm concerned about fitting the right memory sticks.
Eventually I want to get 64gb of ram (4 sticks), but if that's more feasible for some reasons I can live with 32gb on two sticks for now with a room for an upgrade in foreseeable future.
My main concern is (a) matching the ram with Ryzen and (b) fan clearance. Can you help me with that?
I don't really care about the look, this will be closed, non-rgb build and I was planning for spending ~500e on memory, but I can stretch that budget if necessary.
I haven't thought much about the case fans so far, I thought I would build it with with spare fans I have and adjust based on temp readings.
If you have any suggestions for the CPU fan and memory or fans in general I would highly appreciate.

Thanks!

I'm running a 5900x with a Noctua NH-D15S(Not the standard NH-D15), which is made to fit over RAM, the RAM I'm using is Corsair Vengeance LPX series(4 sticks) and my temps are really good. Idles at 30-35, hits 65-70c when doing cinebench, games aren't taking it into the 80's, normally 55-65(unless its Warzone then it'll run around 73). 

Plenty of space from the heatsink and the RAM modules.

I am running a Thermalright FC140 on my 5900X, and I am using 4x8 Trident Z with no problem. All core runs at 4600-4850, sometimes higher.. and single core boosts and holds at 5150 no problem. Temps are dependent on ambient. I am using iPPC 3000s on the cooler, and I have the case flow to match.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Honestly just get the cheapest dual tower you can find and that will be enough for a 5900x

Btw if you arent gonna be using gen4 drives x570 is gonna be useless, consider a b550 tomahawk instead

And an 80+ platnum is gonna eat alot of your budget, i suggest getting regular 80+ gold or just getting a 1000 or 1200w platinum/titanium

Otherwise the build seems decent

Honestly I was considering a Seasonic for PSU, but decided to go with this model to satisfy my OCD.

Given that the whole build will be slightly over 3000 EUR and the difference between plat and gold for this particular model is probably less than 50e I really don't mind, especially that I checked some other forum and beQuiet platinum is supposed to be on the same tier as Seasonic models.
And Samsung 980 is Gen4, and I need two of them, that was the main driving factor for choosing x570 over b550.