Has anyone had any experience with LG's OLED55CX TV?

eEmillerz

Hello!

I'm looking to buy a new OLED TV and I came across this rather popular TV, the LG OLED55CX. Has anybody had any experience with the TV? If so, would you mind telling me a little bit about it? And is there something I should know before and after purchase? (Picture quality adjustment, features etc.)
The TV I'm currently looking for is mostly for Netflix and YouTube, so response times don't matter that much.

Thank you! If anybody has a suggestion for an OLED TV instead of this one, I'm all ears!

I have the C9 and I love it. Copying my most important points to consider from another thread a few minutes ago:

• They don't get super bright, so if you get a lot of sunlight in the room it might be tricky for daytime viewing unless you block some of the light with curtains or something. In return they can display perfect blacks however. If brightness something you care about, consider looking at something like Samsung's QLED lineup.
  • They are innately susceptible to burn-in. This isn't something to worry a lot about, but you should be aware that it exists. This means you should try to watch varied content and avoid bright static elements  (like news channel logos) being on for long amounts of time. This is cumulative, so displaying the same logo 1000 hours in one go is the same as displaying the same logo for 1 hour per day over 1000 days. As I said, nothing to super worry about though. Check e.g. RTINGS' reviews about it if you want to know the details, but their conclusion is also for normal  people watching varied content it's not a big concern.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I have the 48 inch C1 which is basically the same tv but with variable refresh rate built in. I absolutely love it EXCEPT the inability to turn off the auto dimming while using it as a monitor in game mode. Thats very fruistrating but for your use case I would say its a great choice. I actually have a line on a fairly heavily discounted new in box 48 cx that I might buy to replace my old LCD bedroom tv. Im a big fan

10 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

EXCEPT the inability to turn off the auto dimming

FYI u can reduce the likelihood of ABL kicking in by reducing OLED brightness to ~60%. You can get a more accurate figure by displaying a full field white background, reducing brightness to 0, then slowly increasing it until the screen visually doesn't get any brighter due to the ABL. At that point lower brightness back down a % or 2 and leave it like that, that should stop ABL from kicking in.

As for ASBL, the one ur noticing after leaving a word document open for a minute or 2 for example, that can be outright disabled in the service menu, it will require a service remote to access or a device with a IR blaster + the service app. Both the remote and app are available for any1. You can buy a remote online cheaply and the app is available in the usual app places.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 8/8/2021 at 4:47 AM, Ravendarat said:

I have the 48 inch C1 which is basically the same tv but with variable refresh rate built in. I absolutely love it EXCEPT the inability to turn off the auto dimming while using it as a monitor in game mode. Thats very fruistrating but for your use case I would say its a great choice. I actually have a line on a fairly heavily discounted new in box 48 cx that I might buy to replace my old LCD bedroom tv. Im a big fan

C9 also has G-Sync and HDMI VRR compatibility. CX has G-Sync ,FreeSync and HDMI VRR compatibility.

Auto dimming can be a problem if you always keep the brightness cranked. In my case i just turned OLED light down to 67, which ends up at 150nits peak brightness in SDR. As the fullscreen white also sits at 150nits it doesn't dim anything anymore.

17 hours ago, SolarNova said:

As for ASBL, the one ur noticing after leaving a word document open for a minute or 2 for example, that can be outright disabled in the service menu, it will require a service remote to access or a device with a IR blaster + the service app. Both the remote and app are available for any1. You can buy a remote online cheaply and the app is available in the usual app places.

ABL is important and should not be disabled. Firstly it's a long term anti burn-in measure. Secondly it keeps the TV power consumption in check. Disabling this limit might pull too much power through the internal PSU. With everything left as is the TV will pull about 170W peak, so that's likely what the PSU is built to deliver.

Also messing with the service remote can void your warranty. They can see what settings you changed if you ever have to make some warranty claim. It's called "service" remote for a reason. Not "unlocking" remote.

@OP

If you really want to go OLED the best options are the LG C9 (2019), CX (2020), C1 (2021. I'd buy whichever one of these you can find cheapest. They are VERY similar in picture quality. The C9 is the brightest, but sadly has been out of production for some time now and might not be for sale in your region anymore. However the CX and C1 have a bit better picture processing for very dark scenes. However ALL the differences are very minimal and they will all deliver a very similar experience.

However, if you're in a bright room and watch most of your content at daylight then rather have a look at the Samsung QLED series like the QN90A or QN95A. They are over twice as bright and also hold a lot more fullscreen brightness. The higher brightness will also make HDR content pop a lot more and increase the perceived color saturation.

Basically it comes down to when you consume most of your content. Dark room = OLED. Bright room = QLED.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.