Why do you never see AMD laptops?

magnesium alloy is a different beast to regular magnesium

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

magnesium alloy is a different beast to regular magnesium

Of course it is. That's why I linked you to an article about magnesium alloy and not the element!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Of course it is. That's why I linked you to an article about magnesium alloy and not the element!

yes but magnesium can be used in metal form as well. its not just a vitamin :p

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

you dont want brittle because then it doesnt absorb shock efficiently. 

That's why it's mostly used in the inner casing of a Notebook. Most of them have an aluminium or plastic body, wich means the shock will be absorbed by the alu or the plastic.

Good news everyone...!

AMD heats up more and uses more power. Intel is the safer option because it is less likely to heat up too much. Also, the battery will last longer.

yes but magnesium can be used in metal form as well. its not just a vitamin :P

I know, I linked you to articles about Magnesium Alloy not about element 12 on the periodic table.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I know, I linked you to articles about Magnesium Alloy not about element 12 on the periodic table.

okay 

AMD heats up more and uses more power. Intel is the safer option because it is less likely to heat up too much. Also, the battery will last longer.

No, they don't. Or maybe you would like to explain to me, why the Core i3 (Ivy Bridge) of a friend of mine gets up to 85°C under heavy load, while mine barely hits 65°C.

And while your'e at it, explain to me, why my A10 lasts longer with less battery capacity, then that said i3...

Good news everyone...!

No, they don't. Or maybe you would like to explain to me, why the Core i3 (Ivy Bridge) of a friend of mine gets up to 85°C under heavy load, while mine barely hits 65°C.

And while your'e at it, explain to me, why my A10 lasts longer with less battery capacity, then that said i3...

Hi guys, I was just wondering, how do you spell fanboy? ;)

I see lots of AMD laptops here in Denmark, but they're all in the cheap end of the scale, whereas the top end laptops are all Intel.

I know that Harvey Norman are always doing bulk AMD laptops. They've always got crazy ads on the radio and tv with crazy stupid deals like buy 1 AMD quad core get 1 Free. 

I've seen upto A8's over there. The store I work at only has low end AMD stuff. I have seen an A6 once :P normally A4's or Athlons.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Hi guys, I was just wondering, how do you spell fanboy? ;)

just wondering, how do you spell facts?

you and others have made claims. runs hotter, worse performing, bad battery life. 

give us some results, and no anandtech doesn't count. just incase you don't know they take buttloads of money from intel so they will lie about many things.

find me a laptop that scores similarly in all points to an a10-4600 including gaming, then post pictures of their thermal image comparing the 2. and while you're at it, also link us directly to the part about battery life.

because guess what? a cut down i3 at 1.4 ghz thats undervolted to hell will give off less heat than a amd a10. why? because the a10 has a real gpu on the die. their apu's aren't cut down. they're supposed to give good performance for power users. look at a laptop with a 635m, then compare gaming performance, and battery life in gaming. a10 will score higher. because the thermal waste doesn't generate from 2 spots. it is a cooler design by proxy. this is all fact. you wish to debate me, then prove me wrong. don't claim about fanboy/fangirl this, and that. prove me wrong that on a similarly performing system (no synthetic biased benchmarks please) and compare the 2. if the amd doesn't score much better it certainly won't score worse.

AMD offer a great price/performance value.  I have an Acer V3 A8-4500M+HD 7640G and it plays any game out there, although in mostly medium-low settings but HD 3k won't play current games at all.  However they often lack basic frills that average nongamers would like.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

I see tons of AMD laptops in the mall here, so yeah. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Wrong. Scroll Down why...

See above, wrong, scroll down why...

Yep...also wrong.

Exactly.

Got a HP 6475b. One of the best i ever owned. Unfortunatly it's not available with an A10 in Germany, so i had to Change it. 1600x900 14" Screen wich has very good sRGB colours (calibrated with a Colorimeter). I get about 10 hours of battery life while surfing, writing and all that stuff on a normal university day. It runs very cool, quiet and boot time is about 30 Seconds with an SSD. If i add the slice battery, i get about 16-17 Hours. Under Full Power (CAD, Gaming and other Stuff) 4 1/2 hours - no problem.

TDP has absolutly nothing to do what the notebook is really using on power. And the TDP from AMD is with the GPU, Intel gives them without. So, not even a little bit comparable. And TDP is also only a theoretical value, wich is totaly nonsense for practical uses

I can run a lot of games at 1600x900 and with OpenCL it's nearly as fast as a Core i7-3770K in Photoshop, Premier and 7-ZIP.

Actually, TDP does have something to do with the amount of power your notebook may be using. TDP refers to the approximate maximum amount of heat that needs to be dissipated by cooling relative to the power draw of the component. A lower TDP generally means lower power consumption and thus more battery life. TDP isn't theoretical at all, it's basically an engineering metric that's very useful and representative of power draw and heat production of a processor. They're not wrong...

I'm also not sure why you felt the need to justify your use of an AMD chip, especially in such a defensive manner. I still run an Athlon X2 in my laptop. :)

My current laptop is my first Intel laptop, have owned 2 previous AMD ones, An old Sempron x86 and a Turion x64.

just wondering, how do you spell facts?

you and others have made claims. runs hotter, worse performing, bad battery life. 

give us some results, and no anandtech doesn't count. just incase you don't know they take buttloads of money from intel so they will lie about many things.

find me a laptop that scores similarly in all points to an a10-4600 including gaming, then post pictures of their thermal image comparing the 2. and while you're at it, also link us directly to the part about battery life.

because guess what? a cut down i3 at 1.4 ghz thats undervolted to hell will give off less heat than a amd a10. why? because the a10 has a real gpu on the die. their apu's aren't cut down. they're supposed to give good performance for power users. look at a laptop with a 635m, then compare gaming performance, and battery life in gaming. a10 will score higher. because the thermal waste doesn't generate from 2 spots. it is a cooler design by proxy. this is all fact. you wish to debate me, then prove me wrong. don't claim about fanboy/fangirl this, and that. prove me wrong that on a similarly performing system (no synthetic biased benchmarks please) and compare the 2. if the amd doesn't score much better it certainly won't score worse.

Wow umm.. all I did was called him a fanboy I didn't make any claims or say either was better :P Calm down bro, you mad?

I own 1.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

3610qm battery life with a 55/whr battery is around 4.1 hours according to an old article i remember from cnet, soooooo doesn't seem to be that much different.

Ive seen a couple with radeon graphics, my dad has one, cant remember what it is, not worth noting to be honest : P

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

You can't tell a laptop's battery life just from its processor, particularly not during idle. Things like your wireless card, plugged in USB devices, hard drives or especially the screen are things that make up most of the idle power consumption.

But as soon as your are going put some load like Internet browsing, movie watching or heavy load like gaming onto the hardware, the power consumption of processor/graphics card becomes more important and this is where amd is still behind intel/nvidia: during these light load scenarios something like graphics switching or performance per watt is very important because they are processor making up most of the power consumed.

Amd still have performance and switching problems with Enduro ( amd's version of Optimus) and it is just frustrating to use it (in fairness I have to say that amd is working hard on this and in the last one or two years this software improved very much, still isn't quiet up on the level with Optimus).

On the CPU side of things it is just true that amd CPUs just have a less efficient architecture and again particularly during light load (what a laptop is mostly used for) this is bad for the batterie life.

I've read many laptop reviews on pages like notebookcheck.net, and these problems are often highlighted in reviews of laptops with amd hardware.

I personally don't mind amd, in fact with their mobile APUs you don't have most of those problems in fact they're really nice for buget or midrange laptops.

i run an amd notebook, got mine in a store that is owned by the wallmart group, maybe it's region based? there's alot in europe, but then again in terms of market share intel dominates whilst amd lacks behind