Why do you never see AMD laptops?

I see intel laptops all the time but never amd why is that? also why have i never seen a amd ad befor but you see a crap ton of intel ads?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I think it's due to their power consumption and heat, two things that aren't very good in mobile units. More battery life = weee. Also having an upside down griddle on your lap isn't too much fun.

I think it's due to their power consumption and heat, two things that aren't very good in mobile units. More battery life = weee. Also having an upside down griddle on your lap isn't too much fun.

This. But you can find some AMD laptops online: http://www.amazon.com/HP-G6-2235us-Accelerated-Processor-SuperMulti/dp/B00AHKFDWS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367814189&sr=8-3&keywords=amd+laptop

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

AMD's make more heat.

Also, they don't really run as well as Intel's.

And since the Ultrabook thing came out,

Most people haven't really looked at normal laptops.

- Zalman Z11 Plus - ASRock Extreme3 970 AM3+ - FX 6100 @3.3GHz - 16GB Crucial Ballistix @1600MHz - Diamond Radeon HD 7850 2GB - Inland 600 Watt

-ADATA S510 SSD 120GB OS - 1TB WD Green for Storage - Westinghouse 26" TV (1920x1080) - Logitech K520 Mouse & Keyboard - Razer DeathAdder 2013 -

ya but you almost never hear about them

Well "Ultrabook" is an Intel spec so companies have to put intel CPUs in them.

And Intel has quiet a bit more cash than AMD for marketing right now. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Ultrabooks nowadays are more popular.

Intel's run cooler, and use less power. Those are the main reasons.

I'm on a HP DV73065DX Laptop right now.

AMD dual core cpu.

Fan never shuts off, even after cleaning it.

- Zalman Z11 Plus - ASRock Extreme3 970 AM3+ - FX 6100 @3.3GHz - 16GB Crucial Ballistix @1600MHz - Diamond Radeon HD 7850 2GB - Inland 600 Watt

-ADATA S510 SSD 120GB OS - 1TB WD Green for Storage - Westinghouse 26" TV (1920x1080) - Logitech K520 Mouse & Keyboard - Razer DeathAdder 2013 -

Almost forgot about the produce less heat part whoops :P

Haha, hard to forget with the fan always running! xD

the cheap model ones at the local jb hifi here has a few , but there isnt a demand for them

Its all about those volumetric clouds

i have no idea. my a10 laptop is baller. nice screen for the price, nice touchpad, good battery life while playing LoL, good build quality. all for 700.

Wrong. Scroll Down why...

Intel chips have better TDP. Which means more battery life. Plus they perform better overall. 

See above, wrong, scroll down why...

AMD's make more heat.

Also, they don't really run as well as Intel's.

And since the Ultrabook thing came out,

Most people haven't really looked at normal laptops.

Yep...also wrong.

i have no idea. my a10 laptop is baller. nice screen for the price, nice touchpad, good battery life while playing LoL, good build quality. all for 700.

Exactly.

Got a HP 6475b. One of the best i ever owned. Unfortunatly it's not available with an A10 in Germany, so i had to Change it. 1600x900 14" Screen wich has very good sRGB colours (calibrated with a Colorimeter). I get about 10 hours of battery life while surfing, writing and all that stuff on a normal university day. It runs very cool, quiet and boot time is about 30 Seconds with an SSD. If i add the slice battery, i get about 16-17 Hours. Under Full Power (CAD, Gaming and other Stuff) 4 1/2 hours - no problem.

TDP has absolutly nothing to do what the notebook is really using on power. And the TDP from AMD is with the GPU, Intel gives them without. So, not even a little bit comparable. And TDP is also only a theoretical value, wich is totaly nonsense for practical uses

I can run a lot of games at 1600x900 and with OpenCL it's nearly as fast as a Core i7-3770K in Photoshop, Premier and 7-ZIP.

Good news everyone...!

I don't know what you're talking about, I see AMD laptops all the time, including at BestBuy and Future Shop.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Wrong. Scroll Down why...

See above, wrong, scroll down why...

Yep...also wrong.

Exactly.

Got a HP 6475b. One of the best i ever owned. Unfortunatly it's not available with an A10 in Germany, so i had to Change it. 1600x900 14" Screen wich has very good sRGB colours (calibrated with a Colorimeter). I get about 10 hours of battery life while surfing, writing and all that stuff on a normal university day. It runs very cool, quiet and boot time is about 30 Seconds with an SSD. If i add the slice battery, i get about 16-17 Hours. Under Full Power (CAD, Gaming and other Stuff) 4 1/2 hours - no problem.

TDP has absolutly nothing to do what the notebook is really using on power. And the TDP from AMD is with the GPU, Intel gives them without. So, not even a little bit comparable. And TDP is also only a theoretical value, wich is totaly nonsense for practical uses

I can run a lot of games at 1600x900 and with OpenCL it's nearly as fast as a Core i7-3770K in Photoshop, Premier and 7-ZIP.

Tells me to scroll down for the "why".  The "why" ends up being "i have no idea".

Well, you don't even bother to explain why you think i don't have any idea, wich makes you even more clueless then i apparently am.

Good news everyone...!

I haven't looked at laptops in a couple of years, have they started putting APUs in them? APUs are pretty ideal for laptops, due to their relatively low power consumption and great graphics performance. Few people use a laptop for applications where you need a powerful CPU, anyway.

I haven't looked at laptops in a couple of years, have they started putting APUs in them? APUs are pretty ideal for laptops, due to their relatively low power consumption and great graphics performance. Few people use a laptop for applications where you need a powerful CPU, anyway.

Yes, they have. But unfortunatly there is quite a lot of "plastic-crap" out there...the HP 6475b is one of the exceptions i know of, with it's magnesium body and aluminium display cover...

Good news everyone...!

Yes, they have. But unfortunatly there is quite a lot of "plastic-crap" out there...the HP 6475b is one of the exceptions i know of, with it's magnesium body and aluminium display cover...

What's with magnesium body laptops? Magnesium doesn't seem like an ideal material to make things out of. I don't really mind "plastic crap" all that much, though; I take good care of my laptops. I managed to have a thinkpad T61 for 4 years without the screen falling off. That's quite an achievement.

What's with magnesium body laptops? Magnesium doesn't seem like an ideal material to make things out of. I don't really mind "plastic crap" all that much, though; I take good care of my laptops. I managed to have a thinkpad T61 for 4 years without the screen falling off. That's quite an achievement.

Magnesium is a great material. All Professional level DSLRs are made out of it. But it's a bit heavy.

EDIT: By heavy, I mean it weights more than plastic.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I dont mind heavy if it means build quality

Well, magnesium is tougher and lighter then aluminium, but it's brittle, so it's ideal to make something out of it, wich isn't exposed. Aluminium can be dented without any problem (although the screen behind it probably doesn't like it that much^^)

Well, my dad's Thinkpad T61 has been working flawlessly for over 6 Years... :P

On a piec of equipment i use every day, i mind cheap plastic a lot. There are also quite a lot of good plastic examples (There is an ASUS Laptop...but i don't remember the name =/ )...i don't know what is available in the U.S. on AMD Laptops, but in germany there are only a few, and apart from the HP and the ASUS Ultrathin (wich is BTW the name for AMD's Ultrabook) every AMD Laptop in Germany has a very crappy screen resolution.

Good news everyone...!

Well, magnesium is tougher and lighter then aluminium, but it's brittle, so it's ideal to make something out of it, wich isn't exposed. Aluminium can be dented without any problem (although the screen behind it probably doesn't like it that much^^)

Well, my dad's Thinkpad T61 has been working flawlessly for over 6 Years... :P

On a piec of equipment i use every day, i mind cheap plastic a lot. There are also quite a lot of good plastic examples (There is an ASUS Laptop...but i don't remember the name =/ )...i don't know what is available in the U.S. on AMD Laptops, but in germany there are only a few, and apart from the HP and the ASUS Ultrathin (wich is BTW the name for AMD's Ultrabook) every AMD Laptop in Germany has a very crappy screen resolution.

you dont want brittle because then it doesnt absorb shock efficiently.