VMware Workstation vs. Oracle VM VirtualBox

Which one is better for 3D (games)? 3D games works bad for me in VirtualBox.

You would need something that supports GPU passthrough/sharing. VMWare technically supports it IIRC, but it's very bloated and hard to use, and only works on Linux. Red Hat's KVM is pretty darn good at doing that, but again, you'd have to be in Linux and have to pass through a full GPU to be able to use it. The only one that actually shares a GPU's resources is Windows Hyper-V, which is pretty nice, but you can only have a Windows-based VM. 

Basically, pick the one with the fewest drawbacks for your scenario, or if you're gonna play 3D applications, just do it on the host OS. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

but you can only have a Windows-based VM. 

linux. works fine in hyper-v

If you have suppported hardware gpu partitioning in hyper-v is the best option here

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

linux. works fine in hyper-v

If you have suppported hardware gpu partitioning in hyper-v is the best option here

To my knowledge GPU partitioning does not work with Linux guest OSes because of how the guest and host machines share the GPU driver. If you have found a workaround to that, I'd be glad to know, but I don't believe it's possible. 

Neither of those is a good option for any sort of gaming, especially 3D gaming. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Does Hyper-V support single GPU (AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series)? I can't find any tutorial for Hyper-V GPU Passthrough on YouTube.

• RemoteFX vGPU was disabled on July 14, 2020, for all Windows versions.
  • RemoteFX vGPU was removed on April 13, 2021.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-VMRemoteFXPhysicalVideoAdapter
WARNING: We no longer support the RemoteFX 3D video adapter. If you are still using this adapter, you may become
vulnerable to security risks. Learn more (https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2131976)

EDIT:

I will just use Windows 11 on internal NVMe SSD and Ubuntu on external SSD. For testing i will use VMware Workstation/VMware Player.