GSYNC not working with 980ti

App4that

My main rig has a 8700k and 3080 in it. I was doing some cleaning and realized that the LM in the 8700k was toast, and so was my supply of it. So ordered new LM.

While I wait I'm using a 4790k and 980ti backup rig I have. All I did was disconned the main, and swap in the backup to all my stuff. I mostly play Fallout 76 so nothing really lost there. Only the 980ti only worked with GSYNC for the first time I played, now I have constant screen tearing.

Tried letting VSYNC run, caps at 30fps not 60.
Tried disabling VSYNC and limiting the fps to 60.
Tried letting the fps be unlimited.

No matter where I am I get reall bad hitching and screen tears. Which are definitly not an issue with the 3080

980ti is a EVGA Hybrid, all temps are fine. The game isn't asking for more than the memeory it has. 

Put it here as the game is fine as long as I use the main rig, and nothing is causing a bottleneck. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Pretty sure Gsync is only supported on GTX1050 and up. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 minutes ago, Levent said:

Pretty sure Gsync is only supported on GTX1050 and up. 

I works in other gamesimage.thumb.png.3b48c0eb20073830621eefa5aeaa3bc2.png

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I works in other games

Pretty sure it doesnt.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It does, I bought this monitor to work with this 980ti. 

In fact it worked when using 980ti in SLI

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Pretty sure it doesnt.

Gsync gsync works on a 980ti just fine. Gsync compatible doesn't.

Just now, App4that said:

There wasn't anything else out, when GSYNC hit. 

Makes sense.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Gsync gsync works on a 980ti just fine. Gsync compatible doesn't.

How exactly? Maxwell does not support gsync or any sort of adaptive refresh rate. 

Just now, Levent said:

How exactly? Maxwell does not support gsync or any sort of adaptive sync. 

It does, you're wrong is all

1 minute ago, App4that said:

It does, you're wrong is all

Yeah gonna need proof for that statement. 

4 minutes ago, Levent said:

How exactly? Maxwell does not support gsync or any sort of adaptive refresh rate. 

It does? Did you forget gsync came out in 2013 and works on cards like a gtx 680? All it has to be is the proper gsync with the gsync module in the screen not the vesa adaptive sync without the module.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It does? Did you forget gsync came out in 2013 and works on cards like a gtx 680? All it has to be is the proper gsync with the gsync module in the screen not the vesa adaptive sync without the module.

Oh yeah you are right. Gsync has two iterations. First generation (just Gsync) is compatible, second iterations that is advertised as Gsync compatible/freesync ones aren't. 

Does Fallout 76 have that thing from earlier Gamebryo games where if it's not locked at 60fps the physics fucks up? Could be related to that? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Does Fallout 76 have that thing from earlier Gamebryo games where if it's not locked at 60fps the physics fucks up? Could be related to that? 

Nah, I thought that too. Actually just found this out because of this issue. It's fine into the 100s. Gameplay wise. The tearing and stuterring happen at any fps.

My 3080 caps at 74fps in 76. That's something I'll have to look into once the main is back up and running

I run FO76 without Vsync capped at 60 using the Nvidia control panel. I get weird issues at higher fps especially indoors. 

2 minutes ago, Shykoh said:

I run FO76 without Vsync capped at 60 using the Nvidia control panel. I get weird issues at higher fps especially indoors. 

Do you get really bad stuters and screen tearing at 60?

Not that I remember. Maybe some stuttering? That game is held together with tape and glue. Can you test if Gsync is working on other titles?

2 minutes ago, Shykoh said:

Not that I remember. Maybe some stuttering? That game is held together with tape and glue. Can you test if Gsync is working on other titles?

Yeah, tested Hitman (only other game loaded on the system) and GSYNC worked normally

Update. This is not a fix though.

Disable VSYNC in the ini file

Use software like RivaTuner to limit the fps to 58, NOT 60

Enable borderless Windowned

Do those things and it's playable. Seems a recent update fucked over older cards. Those 3 steps takes care of most the issues. 

30 minutes ago, App4that said:

Update. This is not a fix though.

Disable VSYNC in the ini file

Use software like RivaTuner to limit the fps to 58, NOT 60

Enable borderless Windowned

Do those things and it's playable. Seems a recent update fucked over older cards. Those 3 steps takes care of most the issues. 

Hey, sorry for the really awful advice previous here.

Have you checked the output you are using, iirc our early gsync modules only worked via displayport? Additionally I would check the resolution and colorspace of the monitor setting in control panel. I'm currently running the same situation (used to be 980ti SLI, now just 980ti), using driver 471.41 and my g-sync monitor is working (PG348Q) at the moment. Confirmed in a few games (F1 2021, Witcher 3, Heroes of the Storm) and none are acting odd atm. I don't own Fallout 76 unfortunately to check if it is a game issue.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS