AMD Pirate Islands Discussion Thread

ShadowofGhosts

I know, I know, Pirate Islands is a year away, but that doesn't forbid us from discussing and predicting what might be in AMD Pirate Islands. So, what do all of ya predict will be in Pirate Islands?

My Predictions:

20nm Die Shrink

HBM (High-Bandwidth Memory): http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/03/05/amd-hbm-scrypt-mining/

High Performance, but a hot and loud card (note: AMD tends to not work that much on heat and power consumption, they just work on performance)

10-25% Performance Gains

More 4K Support

More VRAM

Better version of Mantle?

PC Build

AMD FX 4130@3.8GHz | Sapphire Radeon HD R9 290@947 MHz | 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM | 500GB Seagate HDD | [broken] Cooler Master i600 PSU | Some LG Disk Drive that costed me $20|

As good as it may sound, I'll be sticking with Nvidia, just because of pascal. AMD will have to pull off a mericle to be able to stay in the game.

High Performance, but a hot and loud card (note: AMD tends to not work that much on heat and power consumption, they just work on performance)

Huh? Does everyone have such a short-memory that they forget about NVidia's Fermi? And who cares about power consumption, I mean seriously almost everybody overbuys on the PSU wattage, and then pick parts on low power consumption. A die shrink will increase performance per watt anyway.

Anyways, it will probably be a 30% performance improvement and 4GB VRAM, I doubt it will be revolutionary. 

As good as it may sound, I'll be sticking with Nvidia, just because of pascal. AMD will have to pull off a mericle to be able to stay in the game.

I don't think that AMD will die anytime soon, all three major consoles have AMD in them, and other than the Wii U, they are selling pretty well, and it is rumored that Nintendo is going to make a Wii Fusion thing, which is rumored to also have an AMD GPU Although Cryptomining has calmed, it is still a thing and miners are still buying R9 GPUs, and their lower price to Nvidia Counterparts will still result in good sales. 

PC Build

AMD FX 4130@3.8GHz | Sapphire Radeon HD R9 290@947 MHz | 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM | 500GB Seagate HDD | [broken] Cooler Master i600 PSU | Some LG Disk Drive that costed me $20|

indeed. if what they say about pascal is true,

it is going to be revolutionary

I don't think that AMD will die anytime soon

they sell more cards than nvidia ,bigger marketshare.he doesnt know what he is talking about.even before the mining hype

r9 290x uses like 15w more than 780ti,not a big deal at all. the problem is the stupid cheap stock cooler

Huh? Does everyone have such a short-memory that they forget about NVidia's Fermi? And who cares about power consumption, I mean seriously almost everybody overbuys on the PSU wattage, and then pick parts on low power consumption. A die shrink will increase performance per watt anyway.

Anyways, it will probably be a 30% performance improvement and 4GB VRAM, I doubt it will be revolutionary. 

Chances are, if you've got a decent gaming graphics card, a little extra power requirements isn't a big deal.

I know, I know, Pirate Islands is a year away, but that doesn't forbid us from discussing and predicting what might be in AMD Pirate Islands. So, what do all of ya predict will be in Pirate Islands?

My Predictions:

20nm Die Shrink

HBM (High-Bandwidth Memory): http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/03/05/amd-hbm-scrypt-mining/

10-25% Performance Gains

More 4K Support

More VRAM

Better version of Mantle?

easy  ^_^

28nm (what the hell we will need jump to 20nm, when the 28nm still work awesome)  :wub:

Mantle (as far as i know, DX12 is = to DX11, and "Mantle is already superior to both")

if funny, they think peaplo will wait to "the end" of 2015 (that we all know it will become 2016, and then 2017 lol)

when Mantle is already here and is already working (the good part is that at least the DX line will go on the right way)

(thanks to AMD for that by the way)  :ph34r:

and i think we will see new tech for sure (don't ask)  :rolleyes:

if you don't know with card start to buy for now, get a R9 270 friend  B)

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-270-vs-GeForce-GTX-760

What so great about pascal? AMD also have their own Unified Memory and 3D Ram.   :blink:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I don't think that AMD will die anytime soon, all three major consoles have AMD in them, and other than the Wii U, they are selling pretty well, and it is rumored that Nintendo is going to make a Wii Fusion thing, which is rumored to also have an AMD GPU Although Cryptomining has calmed, it is still a thing and miners are still buying R9 GPUs, and their lower price to Nvidia Counterparts will still result in good sales. 

I am talking about the consumer GPU's for gaming, to be in someone main gaming rig. Not pleb consoles

What so great about pascal? AMD also have their own Unified Memory and 3D Ram.   :blink:

Pascal has PERFECT scaling for SLI, AMD won't be able to pull something off like that. 

Pascal has PERFECT scaling for SLI, AMD won't be able to pull something off like that. 

How do we know? AMD haven't unveiled anything yet :blink:

But Pascal does look pretty awesome, but AMD will obviously have an answer that hopefully involves less heat output and better coolers :D

How do we know? AMD haven't unveiled anything yet :blink:

But Pascal does look pretty awesome, but AMD will obviously have an answer that hopefully involves less heat output and better coolers :D

Honestly that isn't enough

Honestly that isn't enough

Well maybe we will see nvidia 8800GT the market again, but I doubt they will :)

AMD has HSA, HUMA and other things that I'm sure can be put to use.

There's also Mantle if that's still a thing.

Well maybe we will see nvidia 8800GT the market again, but I doubt they will :)

AMD has HSA, HUMA and other things that I'm sure can be put to use.

There's also Mantle if that's still a thing.

Well yeah. But I think with nvidias pascal, I want to see AMD do something similar to keep them competing with nvidia

Well yeah. But I think with nvidias pascal, I want to see AMD do something similar to keep them competing with nvidia

I'm sure they will, and as usual it will be slightly less effective but at a better price with less proprietary hardware :)

I'm sure they will, and as usual it will be slightly less effective but at a better price with less proprietary hardware :)

Wouldn't doubt it! Or they may have been working on some new tech, I also really want to see CPU's that are as good as intel CPU's.