Cutting Cable in Canada.

King_PIN

By the end of the year I will have a 2.5g internet connection with no cap.  

I am rural so I have Bell Satellite right now which has been decent but I'm paying about $150 a month.  

I have an Nvidia Shield and would love to be able to go through that. 

I am thinking about Pluto TV(cough VPN cough) because I like that I can browse channels which I much prefer. 

I have a few questions.  

1.  Other than Pluto TV is there any other service that has a guide? 

2.  Is there any unit or service I can use a remote control with and has an onscreen display like cable/satellite? 

3.  My viewing habits are mostly comedies.  Channels like Deja Vu for older comedies, CMT, Comedy Channel.

4.  Only sport I watch live is Hockey.  Would love to have something like TSN or SN ability live.  

5.  Movies are great but I have a 2000 blurays ripped on my NAS(yes I own every single one) plus I have an Amazon Prime membership.  

I am trying to find a standalone way of doing this meaning using my shield, or any other device.  I don't really want to be running off my computer and definitely not my phone. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

19 hours ago, King_PIN said:

service I can use a remote control with and has an onscreen display like cable/satellite? 

Plex with Plex pass. Besides the ad supported content they provide, you can use an HD Homerun or other TV tuner box/card and get TV over the AIR. Outside of that Youtube TV, HULU Live are two services that would be similar to cable, while they are cheaper they are still always increasing in price it seems like. 

19 hours ago, King_PIN said:

My viewing habits are mostly comedies.  Channels like Deja Vu for older comedies, CMT, Comedy Channel.

Some cable channels have their own streaming services. Some do not, or some require you to have a cable sub. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Plex with Plex pass. Besides the ad supported content they provide, you can use an HD Homerun or other TV tuner box/card and get TV over the AIR. Outside of that Youtube TV, HULU Live are two services that would be similar to cable, while they are cheaper they are still always increasing in price it seems like. 

Some cable channels have their own streaming services. Some do not, or some require you to have a cable sub. 

The problem in  Canada is alot of the cable channels have streaming channels but you cant subscribe to them without having a cable subscription already. The CRTC is a bunch of blood sucking useless pieces of shit that make consumer ignorant decisions under the guise of "protecting Canadian interests". Its complete and udder bullshit.

3 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

The problem in  Canada is alot of the cable channels have streaming channels but you cant subscribe to them without having a cable subscription already. The CRTC is a bunch of blood sucking useless pieces of shit that make consumer ignorant decisions under the guise of "protecting Canadian interests". Its complete and udder bullshit.

Yup exactly.  I think I've been looking for the wrong thing.  I don't need a streaming service as much as I need IPTV.  

I found 2 products I am doing some research on. 

1. SUPERBOX S2 PRO
2. MonsterBox X1

2 hours ago, King_PIN said:

found 2 products I am doing some research on. 

You do know that these android boxes work off of Piracy right? 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Ok.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Proof? (hearsay is not "proof"!)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

2 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Proof? (hearsay is not "proof"!)

When they say $0 for paid TV channels it’s piracy. No one gets a free lunch. Every one of these boxes claim you get big networks for free, the only way that happens is piracy. 

29 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

When they say $0 for paid TV channels it’s piracy. No one gets a free lunch. Every one of these boxes claim you get big networks for free, the only way that happens is piracy. 

No free lunch is just about right, sure. But that doesn't mean these boxes are pirating. Perhaps they have another money-making scheme instead (didn't check tho). Like mining, ads, whatever. Remember, most things "free" aren't: you just pay differently, with your privacy (using google is free, except harvesting all your data and selling your ad-profile to 3rd parties :old-eyeroll:).

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

No free lunch is just about right, sure. But that doesn't mean these boxes are pirating. Perhaps they have another money-making scheme instead (didn't check tho). Like mining, ads, whatever. Remember, most things "free" aren't: you just pay differently, with your privacy (using google is free, except harvesting all your data and selling your ad-profile to 3rd parties :old-eyeroll:).

All of these 'Magic Android Boxes That Give You All Of The TV For Free!' are piracy boxes.

Now, I'm not gonna weigh into the topic of 'Piracy' but these boxes are a bad buy.  What this person does is sells you an Android box with Kodi and pirate addons or other streaming pirate apps.  Then they abandon you for support.  And all of these pirate streaming services the box connects to?  They are constantly embattled for obvious legal reasons.  The boxes start falling apart as services shut down or move domains or move to another app that is almost the same but different, ect.  So slowly your 'Magic Free TV Box' becomes 'Useless Crap' and the guy who sold it to you is like 'No Refunds Bro. :O'

If you have the skills enough to navigate and manage such piracy apps, then why pay someone to sell you a cheap Android box at an inflated price with a bunch of apps and skins crammed in, when you're going to be doing the work yourself to keep it useful?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

2 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

Perhaps they have another money-making scheme instead (didn't check tho). Like mining, ads, whatever

There is no way in fuck the entertainment industry would allow that practice. Period. Cable cos pay by the subscriber. Mining and ads would not cover the cost that stations or studios want. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

There is no way in fuck the entertainment industry would allow that practice. Period. Cable cos pay by the subscriber. Mining and ads would not cover the cost that stations or studios want. 

"All of entertainment and sports enter into agreement to put all of their services on one box, where it will cost you nothing except for selling them your analytics, and this amazing package is not available on major online or brick and mortar retailers, only guys with low sub YouTube channels, flea markets, and through some weird guy putting flyers around your neighborhood.  And it's all legit.  Why would you even question if it's legit?  What are you a cop?  I don't deal with cops.  Get out of here.'

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

4 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Why would you even question if it's legit

You ever heard of copy right laws? You think the movies studios are going to offer them a deal so they can give product for free? You think the TV station owners are going to do the same? You need to stop smoking that wacky tabacy! The OP is located in Canada, which has copyright laws much like the US. Also I guarantee Canada has extradition treaties with the US. You want to serve 5 years in prison with a $500k fine or what ever the Canadian equivalent is? They started cutting internet off here in the US if you have too many offenses. Won’t be surprised if the same happens in Canada. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You ever heard of copy right laws? You think the movies studios are going to offer them a deal so they can give product for free? You think the TV station owners are going to do the same? You need to stop smoking that wacky tabacy! The OP is located in Canada, which has copyright laws much like the US. Also I guarantee Canada has extradition treaties with the US. You want to serve 5 years in prison with a $500k fine or what ever the Canadian equivalent is? They started cutting internet off here in the US if you have too many offenses. Won’t be surprised if the same happens in Canada. 

...I outright cannot understand how you read my post but never picked up on the blatant sarcasm of it...

not available on major online or brick and mortar retailers, only guys with low sub YouTube channels, flea markets, and through some weird guy putting flyers around your neighborhood.  And it's all legit.  Why would you even question if it's legit?

I mean... Come on.

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Canadians don't have the same view about these things as Americans.

I remember a few years ago they tried to bring torrenters to court but failed.

2 hours ago, dragonfly43 said:

Canadians don't have the same view about these things as Americans.

I remember a few years ago they tried to bring torrenters to court but failed.

We dont condone the copyright laws, but its the law. Even in the US they cant prove copyright infringement criminally. So the copy right holder just sues everyone. The problem is it costs them time and money. So now they are going after ISP's. 

3 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

..I outright cannot understand how you read my post but never picked up on the blatant sarcasm of it...

Because sarcasm doesnt come across on line correctly. Also there are many countries around the world that dont have or dont enforce copyrights. Those people just assume everyone can pirate to their hearts content and nothing bad happens. Further more people even in the US are dumb and hear I can get all these channels for free and dont understand they are breaking the fucking law. Some do and dont care, but those are the same who treat the speed limit as a suggestion and argue with the cop for 20 min about how they dont deserve a ticket. 

12 hours ago, King_PIN said:

Ok.

My family is cord trimmers, we still rely on the cable co for internet but we haven't done TV with them forever. 

I can tell you that some channels have their own streaming service. Some channels require a Live TV Subscription. Comedy Central for example requires a Live TV sub. I have tried many services and the best advice I can give you is just test out services. They are easy to sub and unsub to. I rotate thru streaming services throughout the year. I personally get Live TV OTA, but mainly due to the data cap I have, this way we can use Live TV when we just want something on but are not actively watching. 

58 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Because sarcasm doesnt come across on line correctly. Also there are many countries around the world that dont have or dont enforce copyrights. Those people just assume everyone can pirate to their hearts content and nothing bad happens. Further more people even in the US are dumb and hear I can get all these channels for free and dont understand they are breaking the fucking law. Some do and dont care, but those are the same who treat the speed limit as a suggestion and argue with the cop for 20 min about how they dont deserve a ticket. 

My family is cord trimmers, we still rely on the cable co for internet but we haven't done TV with them forever. 

I can tell you that some channels have their own streaming service. Some channels require a Live TV Subscription. Comedy Central for example requires a Live TV sub. I have tried many services and the best advice I can give you is just test out services. They are easy to sub and unsub to. I rotate thru streaming services throughout the year. I personally get Live TV OTA, but mainly due to the data cap I have, this way we can use Live TV when we just want something on but are not actively watching. 

I'm not too sure what to do.  Still have a few months before I decide.  

When I really think about it 90% of the time the tv is background noise.  

When I want to watch a movie I stream it through my NAS off Emby.  

I actually enjoy buying movies and ripping them to my library.  

I have full seasons of 60 tv shows I have bought and ripped also.  The only download content is I think 2 seasons of Happy Days because they didn't make DVD's for it.  

I got sick a few years ago and basically couldn't leave the house for 24 months which is when Amazon and I got very intimate.  LOL 

Like everyone else I know where to go on the internet if I want to watch content I don't have.  

I just like the variety of having channels to go through for the same reason I listen to the radio.  

Only thing I need live is watching the Leafs which out here in SK can be tough.  

6 years I've lived out in the country with shitty 10down/2up internet which makes streaming online content miserable for the most part.  It's funny cause I can watch 1080p on youtube or Amazon with no issues for the most part but anywhere else I buffer like crazy. 

I haven't searched for OTA here which is something I probably should do. 

Also due to what's already been mentioned the CRTC up here kills the content of places like Netflix, Hulu and others making it almost not worth it to get their services.  

Edited by King_PIN

1 minute ago, King_PIN said:

haven't searched for OTA here which is something I probably should do. 

Also check to see if Emby offers any type of Live TV DVR service like Plex. You can then record live TV for future use. Thats what I do with Plex. Because I then dont have to watch commercials if I dont want to. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

We dont condone the copyright laws, but its the law. Even in the US they cant prove copyright infringement criminally. So the copy right holder just sues everyone. The problem is it costs them time and money. So now they are going after ISP's. 

They went after the ISP (Techsavvy) and lost.

Justice in Canada is a bit lax. There is a guy who killed his own two kids to piss off his wife. He got away with a tap on his hand. Only after much public protest, he got a retrial and went back to jail.