NEED HELP WITH PC CASE!!!!

Master AA 39

Hello, 

I need help with choosing a computer case to hold my pc. Does anybody know a good case that can hold 3 GPUs? Is there any specific thing I should search for?

22 minutes ago, Caroline said:

What kind of GPUs? single slot? dual? triple?

in most cases the limiting factor for that is the mobo, not the case. A full tower is enough to fit 4 dual slot cards hooked up to an EATX mobo

I'm sorry but what do you mean by single slot? 

Just now, Master AA 39 said:

Like 2 of them are triple fan EVGAs and 1 of them is a triple fan ASUS if that helps.

3 minutes ago, Master AA 39 said:

Physically how many PCIe slots on your case the card takes up. Most mainstream cards nowadays are dual slot cards.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

48 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Physically how many PCIe slots on your case the card takes up. Most mainstream cards nowadays are dual slot cards.

Oh, each GPU only takes one PCIe slot.

Oh, each GPU only takes one PCIe slot.

I mean the slots on the case, not on the motherboard.

Your case should have either punchouts or plates screwed in with thumb screws that you take out so the GPU's IO can be accessed. How many of those plates/punchouts do you have to remove to fit this card?

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

Just now, CT854 said:

I mean the slots on the case, not on the motherboard.

Your case should have either punchouts or plates screwed in with thumb screws that you take out so the GPU's IO can be accessed. How many of those plates/punchouts do you have to remove to fit this card?

I don't have a case. That is what I need help with. As of right now the PC is operating without a case.

I don't have a case. That is what I need help with. As of right now the PC is operating without a case.

Right, but the cards are still a certain thickness, and the slots are standardized in size.

Put it another way, how thick is your GPU's rear IO?

2 minutes ago, CT854 said:

Right, but the cards are still a certain thickness, and the slots are standardized in size.

Put it another way, how thick is your GPU's rear IO?

Ok, the ASUS is 2.9 slot design according to them, and the EVGAs are 2-slot

4 minutes ago, Master AA 39 said:

Ok, the ASUS is 2.9 slot design according to them, and the EVGAs are 2-slot

Sorry about the confusion, I am new to this and I am learning each day. I searched up the slot for them and that is what came up.

the gpu slot, mb slot spacing and a cast that can handle it are imported. cooling might be a problem thow. the bigger the gap between gpus the better thow case having tempered glass and not having a fan on the side make cooling sli gpus hard.

i think 7 case pci slots is stander for atx but can go up to 11 slots in big cases

Graphics Cards Slot Width Explained [Single, Dual, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.75]

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/media/image/nvidia-sli-config.png

Razor SLI Flow Bridge (2 Slot) — XSPC - Performance PC Water Cooling

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

8 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

the gpu slot, mb slot spacing and a cast that can handle it are imported. cooling might be a problem thow. the bigger the gap between gpus the better thow case having tempered glass and not having a fan on the side make cooling sli gpus hard.

i think 7 case pci slots is stander for atx but can go up to 11 slots in big cases

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

2.9 rounds to 3, is it a 3090?

Here are some examples

Reveal hidden contents

single slot

Nvidia Quadro K4200 4GB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 2.0 x16 Full Height Video  Card with Rear Bracket : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

dual

Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super Reviews, Pros and Cons, Price Tracking |  TechSpot

triple

61w-oDCjydL._AC_SX679_.jpg

quad 

sarah on Twitter: "I can't quite describe how monstrous the Radeon Pro  W5700X MPX module looks, but it definitely is quite something.… "

(this is a workstation computing module)

notice the amount of brackets each have

a case for that would be the Core X71 from thermaltake, the Core W100 (huge) or the Supermicro SC747 which I'm very fond of due to its... peculiar... cooling and the eerie sound it makes at full speed, hence the "747" on its name, look it up if you want a solid workstation case.

Thank you for the help!

8 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

What would you say about this PC case?

Amazon.com: Thermaltake Core P5 Tempered Glass Titanium Edition ATX Vertical GPU Modular Gaming Open Frame Computer Case CA-1E7-00M9WN-00, Black: Computers & Accessories

Fractal design 7 xl has 9 pci slots. If that's not enough you can consider server racks. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

On 8/1/2021 at 9:16 PM, Master AA 39 said:

Hello, 

I need help with choosing a computer case to hold my pc. Does anybody know a good case that can hold 3 GPUs? Is there any specific thing I should search for?

None of them, without heavily modding.

If you have a 3 slot card,  you need 4 slots to allow space for airflow.

image.jpeg.cc14e8a1e3fdd9cf6fc9c297841fc5e1.jpeg

The top 2 cards there are 1 slot.

The bottom two on the left side are 2 slot.

The bottom right card is 3 slot, like a number of new 3000 series cards.  

You would need a MINIMUM of 9 slots to fit 3 cards.  Most cases only have 7-8 slots on the back.  Like this:

PC Build - Pc Case Back Side - PCI-E Slot Stock Image - Image of offset,  keyboard: 156808771

But, you ALSO SHOULD HAVE an extra slot in between the cards. so they can get cool air and not die.  That turns the number you need to 11 or 12 slots.  

That basically doesn't exist, outside of open frame / mining style racks.

WTF are you actually doing with 3 video cards?  

Fractal cases are a good bet on the many-slot designs as are LIAN-LI which is really the Mercedes of cases, except it'll last a lot longer and have a lot less plastic than a real Mercedes.

If you have a budget, consider a used or old-stock Fractal case.

My DEFINE only has 7 or 8 but I believe it has a spot where you can put a dual-slot card or something like that upright if you have a riser adapter to mount it at a 90-degree angle to the motherboard.

My ARC XL has *TEN* slots (guru3d said it was only nine, no it's TEN), I LOVED that case, it is a monster, and my Define XL is pretty much the same with a slightly better setup inside (but forgoing the ten-slot design of old), with a much better longer-lasting filter-housing on the front (that's a lot easier to clean, too).

Definitely look up those FRACTAL cases.

Other cases to try is the likes of Corsair's 900D and 1000D.

There's also a case out there that's a two-system case like CASE LABS used to make, it's a corsair or thermaltake brand case, but I am sure someone here knows it better than me.

If you're using SLI for gaming, performance doesn't really stack well beyond two cards.

If using the system for mining, look into 4u and larger server or rack-mount cases.

Wouldn't trade any of my 3 fractal cases away, even for a lian-li, I like them just as-is.  Can't beat the price for your dollar.  Look around on Ebay or craigs list searching by locale, and offer to pick one up locally if you can find an acceptable unit.  I drove 4 hours each way to pick up this Fractal Define XL used for 60$, retired from server use.  That's okay though, it was 10 minutes from a MICRO CENTER!!!  I needn't explain I spent a good 1000$ that day.

If you want a more wide selection of cases, consider doing water blocks on the graphics cards if that's in the budget, you can often get the cards down to single slot if the ports aren't in the way of doing so (some cards use port housings that take up two slots, others are arranged right at the pcb level and nothing else).

USE CAUTION if using riser cables, don't go cheap; get the good ones and you won't come home to a burnt house one day.

Edit:  Rosewill Thor (newegg) had 9 or 10 slots if I remember correctly, but I didn't like the case's reliance on plastic personally.

The cases are out there.  Google is your friend.

One question I didn't see asked was, what Motherboard do you have?

Just curious to see if it is an EATX in order to have enough room for your 3 GPU setup now. 

Are you using riser cables currently because they can't fit with your current setup?

Or, do they all fit next to each other on the Motherboard?

Which would allow you to have them all mounted horizontally. 

On 8/2/2021 at 8:52 AM, Master AA 39 said:

This one will have a good amount of dust over time, depending on the number of people in your house. The type of ventilation your domicile has, also how many pets, etc. 

Sorry about the questions, but it will help us to help you, better than guessing. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

4 hours ago, Caroline said:

I'd say Lian-Li is more like BMW, really expensive due to the logo and some of them look good, but their owners are mostly insufferable fanboys who bash every other manufacturer.

Fractal cases are nice but have little air intake (bad for 3 cards) unless you get rid the front panel. In the end those and the Rosewill Thor are more aimed at gamers than workstation users/miners/etc

As always

You'll have to decide if you want more noise and more airflow and possibly more dust, or if you want better filtering and noise reduction at the cost of not pushing the cards as hard.  If you have to live with the computer and it's not got it's own room, you might want something not so noisy.

Always had my own motto, if I can't air cool it in a nice quiet case, I don't want it.  It doesn't have to be silent, just not much louder than the 486 or pentium II I had in the mid to late 90's.  Don't want to go deaf.

On 8/2/2021 at 10:34 AM, Caroline said:

100% dust

good cooling thow...cant have it all...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

10 hours ago, Caroline said:

I'd say Lian-Li is more like BMW, really expensive due to the logo and some of them look good, but their owners are mostly insufferable fanboys who bash every other manufacturer.

Fractal cases are nice but have little air intake (bad for 3 cards) unless you get rid the front panel. In the end those and the Rosewill Thor are more aimed at gamers than workstation users/miners/etc

As always

lian li had the sexiest case on the market back then (other then them having 80mm fans...) but nvm about that. ya they dont do aluminum and there case is competitive now a days. 

ca701ll_98579_800x800-jpg.208878

Edited by thrasher_565

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Those were the days. Now everything's plastic and LEDs.

Wheels on it makes it look a bit odd and like a space heater though, why would you want your case to move around?

kuz its loadded and to heave to lift bruu

4 minutes ago, Caroline said:

?????

How to 'lift with your legs, not your back' properly, without hurting your  knees - Quora

main-qimg-e1926aba6b34263b9332df4cb3462c2d.png