Linux, surround sound(receiver) and... free codecs?

Okay, so I'm rocking Arch Linux on OpenZFS. And one of my biggest questions is:
can I actually use one before I buy it?

Conditions:
1. it must be able to play free codecs - webm supported stuff: vp9, opus,flac,ogg, etc.
2. preferably open source/DIY unless it's safe as in read-only on the OS or can be made that.
Pulseaudio already has the per-channel (5.1 for example) volume control. I guess some sort of sound card could do the trick? Like I might just need multiple 3.5mm Jack-s to plug speakers in? :/

I cannot quote people with the built-in function because I almost never enable JavaScript on websites. You won't get notified if I reply to you, sadly :/

1. Your on a upstream distro, you should consider switching to Pipewire which is replacing pulseaudio.
  2. Creative SoundBlaster Cards are fairly well supported by the Linux Community, going with one of them may be a good bet.
    1. The AE-7 was added in Kernel 5.10 while later revisions are still unsupported.
  3. Most motherboards already support 5.1 Audio, and you probably wont notice much of a difference.

31 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

can I actually use one before I buy it?

If you buy something from a local store like BestBuy, they usually have a 1 Week return period. The one north of me has always honored it, but the one down south of me rarely has, so YMMV.

Topic moved to Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@Nayr438
"1. Your on a upstream distro, you should consider switching to Pipewire which is replacing pulseaudio."
I did hear lots of mentions about pipewire, but I am fine so far with pulseaudio/pulsemixer.. but I might take a look at it. Pros/cons?

"2. Creative SoundBlaster Cards are fairly well supported by the Linux Community, going with one of them may be a good bet.

The AE-7 was added in Kernel 5.10 while later revisions are still unsupported."
That's awesome!
Except
wait...
I only have 1 PCI slot and it's taken up by my motherboard :d rip

"3. Most motherboards already support 5.1 Audio, and you probably wont notice much of a difference."
"support" - that's nice
"you probably won't notice much of a difference." - I don't have to :D

"If you buy something from a local store like BestBuy, they usually have a 1 Week return period. The one north of me has always honored it, but the one down south of me rarely has, so YMMV. "
I don't know what "YMMV" is, but that sucks that they don't have some sort of quality control over there.. :d I hope you have complained.

######################################################################

@SansVarnic
"Topic moved to Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows =-"
Thanks and sorry

I cannot quote people with the built-in function because I almost never enable JavaScript on websites. You won't get notified if I reply to you, sadly :/

8 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

I did hear lots of mentions about pipewire, but I am fine so far with pulseaudio/pulsemixer.. but I might take a look at it. Pros/cons?

• Pros
    • Much better support for containerized applications.
    • Supports Video and Audio Capture with minimal Latency.
    • Realtime Multimedia processing
    • Much better codec support, especially with Bluetooth devices
  • Cons
    • I haven't found any, but it is still very much a work in progress.

I am sure there are probably other things surrounding Pros/Cons, but I have installed it and never looked back. What I would spend a few hours configuring before with pulse, just works out of the box in pipewire.

15 minutes ago, ZFSinmylungs said:

I don't know what "YMMV" is, but that sucks that they don't have some sort of quality control over there.. :d I hope you have complained.

"Your Mileage May Vary". Returns are usually left up to the store, they have the right to refuse or direct you to the manufacturer for support.

Most places will usually accept returns for just about any reason however.

I don't personally worry about it, I drive all around the state I am in so I have Multiple Locations I can take returns to, so if one store doesn't accept it, another probably will.

I am so glad we discussed the least important topic here xD
HARDWARE SUPPORT ;-; I might just go to the f***** PC parts store somewhere near and ask them ... hopefully they f***** are familiar with GNU+Linux -_- and/or have the thing so I can like come back and return it.

Hmmm after watching the video about sound cards that Linus recorder ~6 years ago - this seems like something I need, instead of a receiver.. still - I do not currently have the room for it ;-;

• 4 months later...

So, I'm kinda late to the party here...

I'm using an Asus CH VIII Hero and didn't have a good time with the audio, so I ended up buying the AE-7 while I was only running windows, and when I went to a dual-boot with linux setup, none of the distros I tried had anything to get the AE-7 working.

It's been a while since I actually booted into a linux distro to check the sound card again (I've just been using my headset or going deaf) but is there a common fix for something like current ubuntu to run the AE-7?