dell studio upgrades

I have a dell studio 540 and I can't afford a new pc so I want to make upgrades to make it ok for 1080p/720p gaming just want 45 fps at least. it has core 2 quad and a 8600gts gpu 4 gb ram ddr2 I think I want to upgrade ram and gpu if anyone can find best gpu and ram please link the parts from preferably Amazon maybe Newegg. (edit: need power supply plz link compatible PSU) thanks

Depends entirely on the game but if you’re talking current gen titles you’re not going to get anything playable out of a Q6600 or even the best of LGA 775 anymore.

Not worth upgrading.

If you’re talking Minecraft or CSGO or whatever then find something like a GT 1030 and upgrade to 8gb of ram.

Just now, 8tg said:

Depends entirely on the game but if you’re talking current gen titles you’re not going to get anything playable out of a Q6600 or even the best of LGA 775 anymore.

Not worth upgrading.

If you’re talking Minecraft or CSGO or whatever then find something like a GT 1030 and upgrade to 8gb of ram.

I play a lot of Fortnite and CSGO I like fallout 3 and new Vegas I mainly play free games but I like Xbox 360 era games also I like older open world games in general

Yeah pretty sure you wont be running that 135W cpu with that prebuilt.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

14 minutes ago, Levent said:

was planning on PSU upgrade but I want to get best performance possible even if it isn't worth the upgrade

Just now, Surestgarlic2 said:

was planning on PSU upgrade but I want to get best performance possible even if it isn't worth the upgrade

Hopes and dreams wont let that motherboard with maximum of 95w CPUs from factory handle a 135w CPU and this assumes its bios even supports this CPU. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

Hopes and dreams wont let that motherboard with maximum of 95w CPUs from factory handle a 135w CPU and this assumes its bios even supports this CPU. 

do you know what the fastest possible CPU for this pc is and what I would need to upgrade to support it

1 minute ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

do you know what the fastest possible CPU for this pc is and what I would need to upgrade to support it

Nope however you can find the fastest CPU it came with factory (with a google search) and that should be your safest bet.

26 minutes ago, Levent said:

I smell a challenge, if not then he already installed it.

5 minutes ago, Levent said:

Nope however you can find the fastest CPU it came with factory (with a google search) and that should be your safest bet.

it currently has the q8200 would it be worth it to upgrade to a q9650

Nope. That is just a factory overclocked Q8200.

31 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

Idk what your gonna spend on the q9650 but that's an old cpu

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

High end core2extremes are collectors items and still fetch triple digit prices used. For the price of a QX9770 you could get a haswell i5 and motherboard and stomp anything core2 into the ground.

Its not worth upgrading your machine as I mentioned on your previous post. It’s time for a whole new PC because any upgrade into a system like that is just throwing money away.

4 minutes ago, 8tg said:

High end core2extremes are collectors items and still fetch triple digit prices used. For the price of a QX9770 you could get a haswell i5 and motherboard and stomp anything core2 into the ground.

Its not worth upgrading your machine as I mentioned on your previous post. It’s time for a whole new PC because any upgrade into a system like that is just throwing money away.

ok would it be worth it to put a gt 1030 in and ram like you said then use the gt 1030 in my future build until gpu prices go down because I can't afford to get a new pc that doesn't run a Celeron or athlon

is there anyway to flash a custom bios on my dell studio 540 so I can install a core 2 extreme qx9770 

1. Figure out how much your motherboard VRM can handle, if it can handle 135w then proceed to step two. (it cant)
  2. Figure out how to inject microcode to your motherboards bios so that it will support that cpu.
  3. Get a CH340 and test clip so that you can flash the custom bios (might not be necessary but will be necessary for recovering your bios once you brick it).
  4. Get another PC to flash the bios using CH340.
  5. Insert the CPU then power the system on.
  6. Watch your VRMs catch fire during the first boot.

Just now, Levent said:
  1. Figure out how much your motherboard VRM can handle, if it can handle 135w then proceed to step two. (it cant)
  2. Figure out how to inject microcode to your motherboards bios so that it will support that cpu.
  3. Get a CH340 and test clip so that you can flash the custom bios (might no be necessary but will be necessary for recovering your bios once you brick it).
  4. Get another PC to flash the bios using CH340.
  5. Insert the CPU power it on.
  6. Watch your VRMs catch fire during the first boot.

is there a way to get a 135w CPU in my Mobo

1 minute ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

is there a way to get a 135w CPU in my Mobo

Do you plan on getting a soldering station and building a daughterboard for that motherboard so that it can handle higher wattage cpus? (this potentially costs 7-8x more than getting a new motherboard).

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Do you plan on getting a soldering station and building a daughterboard for that motherboard so that it can handle higher wattage cpus? (this potentially costs 7-8x more than getting a new motherboard).

what's the fastest cpu I could install in my Mobo I'm getting different answers in every google search also what is the max ram dell says 8gb ddr2 bit should I get 12or 16 or should I go with eight Idk a lot about computers but I know some so if I sound stupid that's why

what's the fastest cpu I could install in my Mobo I'm getting different answers in every google search also what is the max ram dell says 8gb ddr2 bit should I get 12or 16 or should I go with eight Idk a lot about computers but I know some so if I sound stupid

Yes you do sound stupid because we had this conversation yesterday, in which you found the best CPU that prebuilt came with and asked me about it.

22 hours ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

Not to mention, if it has DDR2 you are limited to maximum of 8G ram. I have a feeling that I am going to answer this same question from you in less than 24 hours, so here is a link where you can see the fastest CPU your system supports, alongside with maximum ram it can handle. I am going to quote my own post next time I see you asking this.

http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/dell-studio-540-mainboard-specifications/

15 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

what's the fastest cpu I could install in my Mobo I'm getting different answers in every google search also what is the max ram dell says 8gb ddr2 bit should I get 12or 16 or should I go with eight Idk a lot about computers but I know some so if I sound stupid that's why

8GB is the max. It's a DDR2 system, so it's not surprising at all. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

*** Threads merged ***

We don't allow posting more than once about same subject. Please keep in this topic regarding your laptop/prebuild upgrades. Also moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv