M.2 SSD No Longer With Us?

oblivion-npc

Hey guys,

As the title suggests I am having an issue with an M.2 ssd. Currently trying to setup an unused server to be a temporary desktop for a friend of mine (it was going to be a surprise) and the M.2 boot drive is giving me some real headaches. It's a 512 gb NVME SK hynix drive from my old Dell XPS 9560. I tested it with an M.2 USB enclosure in the process of testing a bunch of different M.2 drives to see which one would be best for this system, and I had no trouble with it being detected by windows then. File transfers also worked just fine. I popped it into the system (ASUS ROG STRIX b450-I w/ Ryzen 3 3200g and 16gb ram) and proceeded to install windows on it. It went fairly smoothly at first, and then when it was time to restart in the installation process, all I got was a black screen with a non-blinking cursor in the middle of the upper left corner of the screen. Ever since then, it takes about 1-2 minutes to boot into the BIOS and the M.2 drive is not detected. It's also not detected by my laptop via the M.2 USB enclosure anymore either. I tried flashing the latest BIOS and resetting to the factory defaults and nothing has changed. Did the motherboard just kill this otherwise perfectly fine drive? Really confused here and I have no error codes or anything to go off of, so any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you!

god hit randomize and left me like that

Try it in the enclosure again?

Seems like it decided to die...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Try it in the enclosure again?

Seems like it decided to die...

I just dug up an old PCIe M.2 adapter and I'm going to try that. I'm kind of afraid to try anything else in the native M.2 slot on that motherboard, I only got so many drives lol

8 minutes ago, oblivion-npc said:

I just dug up an old PCIe M.2 adapter and I'm going to try that. I'm kind of afraid to try anything else in the native M.2 slot on that motherboard, I only got so many drives lol

Yeah no luck with this. i guess the drive is fried. that kinda pisses me off ngl